Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Apple Engineer Fired For Showing iPad to Woz

On the morning of April 3 waiting in line for an Apple Store to open an Apple Engineer showed a 3G prototype to Steve Wozniak. Woz used it for 2 minutes and durring those 2 minutes the device phoned home and the Engineer was terminated for violating the Apple NDA.

On the other hand Gray Powell, the Apple employee who lost the iPhone 4G prototype wasn't fired.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Esprit View Post
On the morning of April 3 waiting in line for an Apple Store to open an Apple Engineer showed a 3G prototype to Steve Wozniak. Woz used it for 2 minutes and durring those 2 minutes the device phoned home and the Engineer was terminated for violating the Apple NDA.

On the other hand Gray Powell, the Apple employee who lost the iPhone 4G prototype wasn't fired.
And what did this tell me (or anyone) about any Apple device (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) that I may want to use to read books on?

Seems just a wee bit off-topic to me, but I don't post that often, maybe I don't know the rules.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rique View Post
And what did this tell me (or anyone) about any Apple device (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) that I may want to use to read books on?

Seems just a wee bit off-topic to me, but I don't post that often, maybe I don't know the rules.
90% of the posts in this "iPad" section or either totally off eBook topic or are a love fest with Apple. So what's your point? Since the iPad is NOT a dedicated eBook reader this whole section should be moved to the Alternative Devices in my opinion. I see no reason why iPads and iPhones should have their own section in a forum dedicated to eBooks and readers.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
hmm.. well... nook just got web surfing and games.. kindle could do that long before the ipad came out and is getting it's own app store soon. should we ship them off as well? seems every new ebook reader announced has games, web browsing and as many bells and whistles they can throw into it too.

what i don't get is why all the anti-apple people even hang out in this forum. one would think they would spend their time in forums with devices they actually, um, like.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
... what i don't get is why all the anti-apple people even hang out in this forum. one would think they would spend their time in forums with devices they actually, um, like.

scottjl, it's getting tiring, your chiming in on EVERY thread, implying that anyone with the slightest criticism of Apple should leave the forum, and pointing a "troll" sign at them.

Like it or not, this is one of the biggest stories on every Apple forum, regardless of whether one approves or disapproves of Apple's actions.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

sonist, pot. kettle. black. as others have pointed out, we get pretty tired of reading your un-original and un-inspiring posts too.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Let's get back on topic, shall we? Derogatory statements aimed at one another are not a part of our User Guidelines. The link to them is at the bottom of this page.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
sonist, pot. kettle. black. as others have pointed out, we get pretty tired of reading your un-original and un-inspiring posts too.

Why can't you get it into your head that people are entitled to criticise Apple (or any other manufacturer come to that). This is a site that people come to to research their e-book readers and as such it would be pretty poor if we allowed any area of the site to become a spin-off of Apple's marketing department as you would seem to like to do.

Yes, the iPad is a revolutionary device, but, like many such devices, it suffers from some issues for some of the uses people would like to put it to. Pointing out those issues is not trolling - it is fair and justified constructive criticism.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

shrug. if i have to listen to the same criticisms in every other post, i should be free to offer up the same responses too 'eh? or does that open discussion only apply to the critics?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
shrug. if i have to listen to the same criticisms in every other post, i should be free to offer up the same responses too 'eh? or does that open discussion only apply to the critics?
If you really feel that the iPad is perfect then please say so and let others disagree. That way, at least a balanced picture is given to other people reading the posts.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
If you really feel that the iPad is perfect then please say so and let others disagree. That way, at least a balanced picture is given to other people reading the posts.

excuse me, i'd appreciate it if you didn't put words into my mouth for me. i have never said the ipad was perfect and if you read my postings i've been quite vocal about what i feel are shortcomings of the device. what i don't do is hijack every thread whining about the same shortcomings over, and over, and over, or posting snide remarks about apple or others in these forums. and you certainly don't see me trucking over to the kindle, nook, sony, etc. forums to constantly criticize those devices.

as quite a few on here have pointed out, we got the point the sonist, jswindin and others do not like the ipad and have no intentions of purchasing one. so what's the point of continuously posting the same complaints in every thread? that isn't constructive criticism. that's whining, or trolling. as much as they like, whining on these forums isn't going to change a single thing about the ipad. steve jobs does not hang out on here. it isn't going to add flash, printing, a usb port, a sd card slot, an eink display, the ability to run the MacOS or a golden egg every hour. do we really need to read those complaints again?

hmm.. maybe the admins can create an "apple complaint forum" where people can go just to complain about apple and read those same complaints day in and day out..

/

Last edited by scottjl; 04-27-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:

as quite a few on here have pointed out, we got the point the sonist, jswindin and others do not like the ipad and have no intentions of purchasing one. so what's the point of continuously posting the same complaints in every thread? that isn't constructive criticism. that's whining, or trolling.
No, I suggest you look up 'trolling' in a dictionary - it is not defined as "disagreeing with scott".

Quote:
as much as they like, whining on these forums isn't going to change a single thing about the ipad. steve jobs does not hang out on here. it isn't going to add flash, printing, a usb port, a sd card slot, an eink display, the ability to run the MacOS or a golden egg every hour. do we really need to read those complaints again?
I didn't suggest that Apple would change anything as a result of these forums, after all, with the fanboys willing to put up with anything that Apple release, why would they bother. I suggested that people visiting this site for research purposes might prefer a balanced opinion rather than an Apple advert.

Please stop putting that 'don't feed the trolls' sign on all your posts - it just makes you look a bit too defensive. Actually, you're on my ignored list now so put as many of them up there as you like.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books

just gotta love the people who stop in. chime in. feel their opinion is the only valid one. and drop out.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
90% of the posts in this "iPad" section or either totally off eBook topic or are a love fest with Apple. So what's your point? Since the iPad is NOT a dedicated eBook reader this whole section should be moved to the Alternative Devices in my opinion. I see no reason why iPads and iPhones should have their own section in a forum dedicated to eBooks and readers.
Believe it or not, trolls do exist.

Everyone should be welcome to make their comments on the features that they love/hate about the devices in this forum, but at the same time, it doesn't feel necessary to post in forums you don't like that said forum shouldn't exist or shouldn't be given the positioning it has.

jswinden: It's pretty clear from the number of readers viewing various device forums that, in general, the Apple devices forum is typically second to only the Kindle forum. It seems pretty reasonable that it be given decent positioning.

Back ON topic - Apple is generally pretty evil about their hiring practices. I love the work they put out, but I would never work for them. So all of this about firing so and so or not doesn't surprise me a bit.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
holterzoff
Connoisseur
holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle3w, Ipad, iphone4
What an absolute nonsense to provoke and doubt the reasonable qualification of this forum.
How stupid can it get?
Jesus, if it were'nt for some interesting posts i would quit this forum alltogether.
Closed Thread