Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Penge
Penge began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Problems 2 days after opening

Had the Kobo Glo 2 days now (xmas present) and it's been nothing but trouble. I've been using a HP Ipaq for years to read, screwing up my eyes, and so this was a much sought-after gift. Sadly, though, nothing seems to work with Kobo as it should.

1. Using an SD card just seems to crash the whole thing every time, even if the card has only a few books on it.

2. The screen is unresponsive most of the time and very very slow.

3. I've been using it for two days and it has crashed four times since, leaving me with the only option but to do a factory reset, losing all the books I'd put on it. So frustrating.

4. There is an after-image (not sure if this is intentional) whenever you turn the page or go to another menu.

5. Can't read PDFs, which is a big let down. Well, you can sort of read them, but there's no reflow so it makes it impossible in some cases to read.

I do have a question. Is it possible that dirt under the screen protector could interfere with the screen? I've noticed some dirt under the screen protector since I lifted one corner to flatten it out, but it's not that noticeable. Wondered if anyone else had a similar problem.
Penge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penge View Post
1. Using an SD card just seems to crash the whole thing every time, even if the card has only a few books on it.
How is it without the SD Card? This is a known issue with Kobos, If you can, try different SD cards. I have a 16G Sandisk that works wonderfully.

Quote:
With or without the SD card in it? If this is with the card, see #1

Quote:
3. I've been using it for two days and it has crashed four times since, leaving me with the only option but to do a factory reset, losing all the books I'd put on it. So frustrating.
See #2

Quote:
4. There is an after-image (not sure if this is intentional) whenever you turn the page or go to another menu.
Yup part and parcel of eInk screens but you can alleviate this: Change when the pages refresh, factory set is to refresh every 6 pages, you can set this from 1 - 6. OPTIONS (3 horizontal bars upper right hand corner) >> Settings >> Reading Settings and change "Refresh the screen every:"

Quote:
5. Can't read PDFs, which is a big let down. Well, you can sort of read them, but there's no reflow so it makes it impossible in some cases to read.
Known issue, PDFs weren't meant to be "reflowed"

Quote:
I do have a question. Is it possible that dirt under the screen protector could interfere with the screen? I've noticed some dirt under the screen protector since I lifted one corner to flatten it out, but it's not that noticeable. Wondered if anyone else had a similar problem.
Screen protector? If you mean the plastic sheet on the screen from the factory, that's only to protect the screen until you open the box, it's not meant as a permanent protection.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Bezel around screen has little square notches next to screen to project invisible IR light grid across screen for touch screen function. Crud blocking notches can interfere with touch screen.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:

Your crash issue sounds like you may have a "bad" epub on there that it is choking on. Try playing with adding books one at a time and using it for a bit and see if it starts crashing when you add a particular book.
The screen should not be that unresponsive. This suggests you have either a faulty Kobo or something interfering with the IR beams. Screen protectors aren't a known issue with this, but if it is sticking up that could be part of the problem.
Between the unresponsive screen and crashing I would suggest exchanging it and seeing if the new one is any better.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Penge
Penge began at the beginning.

Thanks. I plan on taking it back to the shop on Saturday to exchange it. Hopefully, I won't have any screen response problems after that. The SD card I was using was a 4gb micro. I did notice after having to factory reset the Kobo that it doesn't like some of the epubs I have on the card and would hang on certain ones. Also it doesn't seem to work well with a large number of ebooks, which is a bit self-defeating. My Ipaq can read thousands of them and in just about every format you can think of and that's using ten year old technology - it won't open a difficult epub if it's a problem, but it doesn't hang up because of it. Would be good if the Kobo did the same instead of crashing every time. **edit - I guess I should mention that when I'm talking about reading on the Ipaq I'm talking about using Ubook as a reader, it's an amazing piece of software and something I think the makers of Kobo could learn a thing or two from.

Last edited by Penge; 12-28-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Penge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
TheManNL
TheManNL began at the beginning.

I strongly suggest you take the screen protector(the plastic that covers the screen when you buy the kobo) off, it really screws up the screen responsiveness.
TheManNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManNL View Post
I strongly suggest you take the screen protector(the plastic that covers the screen when you buy the kobo) off, it really screws up the screen responsiveness.
Are you sure about that? The Kobo-screen is NOT a touch-screen, but has an infrared system arount the bezel wich registers fingermovements towards the screen. In my case, I can even operate the screen if I do not touch, but just almost touch the screen. I would think that a screen protector would not interfere with that, unless it blocks the infrared sensors.
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The SD card I was using was a 4gb micro.
As I stated earlier it's a known issue that Kobo ereaders have problems with some brands of SD cards. You may still have problems even after trading the reader in for another one. If you still have issues, try a different SD card brand if you can. Have you tried the Kobo without the SD card? In other words did you take the SD card out and load books directly onto the Kobo?

It's pretty hard to determine what is going on without more information on what you did or did not do to try and resolve the problem.

Sure taking it back and exchanging it is the easy thing to do but may not actually solve the problem if it isn't the Kobo or rather that the Kobo is having issues with that SD card brand.

Quote:
I did notice after having to factory reset the Kobo that it doesn't like some of the epubs I have on the card and would hang on certain ones.
RANT: Known issue, whether Kobo ever actually fixes this is another matter, like the myriad other bugs in the firmware. I love the Kobo but they either need to fire the software (firmware) managers or the programmers. They make changes to the UI almost every update but there are bugs going back to 1.9.17 still. Not counting the bugs that were seemingly fixed one firmware update popping back up the next firmware update.

Quote:
Also it doesn't seem to work well with a large number of ebooks, which is a bit self-defeating.
The Kobo doesn't have problems with large numbers of books. It's problem is with problematic books causing it to hang. Having a large number of books of course makes it more difficult to track down the bad book(s). The only resolution to this at the moment is to add a book or two at a time to track down those books causing the Kobo to hand. Not an elegant solution but it works.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
Danger
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by echwel View Post
Are you sure about that? The Kobo-screen is NOT a touch-screen, but has an infrared system arount the bezel wich registers fingermovements towards the screen. In my case, I can even operate the screen if I do not touch, but just almost touch the screen. I would think that a screen protector would not interfere with that, unless it blocks the infrared sensors.
Correct, the plastic cover should not be thick enough to interfere with the IR sensors. A capacitive screen (like the iPods/iPads) would be another matter. Personally I would have preferred a capacitive over an IR screen on the Kobo but that's a whole other topic
Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Correct, the plastic cover should not be thick enough to interfere with the IR sensors.
Except that the plastic cover that ships with the Glos isn't flat. It rises at the bottom for the pull tab. So about 1/3 of the screen will have a non-flat piece of plastic covering it.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I can't tell you whether the plastic shipping cover "should" interfere with the Glo, but I can absolutely confirm that it does. It must be removed.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I can't tell you whether the plastic shipping cover "should" interfere with the Glo, but I can absolutely confirm that it does. It must be removed.
Shouldn't let reality get in the way of a good theory
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #13
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Why would anyone even want to keep an extra piece of plastic between the eye and the screen?
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #14
BrainDead
BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.

Had simmilar issues with the first Glo I purchased. Responses seemed random and the device seemed to turn pages on its own sometimes!

I returned it and obtained a replacement which worked much better and pretty much as expected, but I found that you still have to be very patient with it.
BrainDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
You could have a bad unit. But before returning it, try some things.

Get rid of the so-called "screen protector". It isn't meant to be kept on and is unnecessary.

Stop trying to read pdf files. The Kobo is really bad at it.

Download Calibre to your PC. Use it to manage your library and to send epubs to your Kobo.

Don't use an sd card. Try to figure out the problems first by putting the books on the device's internal memory.

We don't know the source of your epubs. So don't load a whole whack of them at once. A bad one will mess it up for the rest. Consider using the 'Convert' function in Calibre before transferring to the Kobo.

If you load a single epub to the Kobo, converted by Calibre, and the device is still unresponsive, then perhaps you have a defective device and should return it.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote