Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #31
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsays View Post
No, i havent seen that movie but it looks interesting.
As for " Exactly what you're looking for", haven't I made my requirements for novel quite clear in my first post.
No, I mean to say that Event Horizon is exactly what your looking for......although in movie form instead of book.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
I'm assuming the OP wants all the bullet points, and if Matheson hid a spaceship in I Am Legend he did it well indeed. .....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #33
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
If the OP can handle a shorter story, a novelette, then A Drop of Oil by Eric Frank Russell fits the bill perfectly.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:13 AM   #34
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Just finished Hull Zero 3 recommended on this thread. Enjoyed it a great deal but not what I would describe as pleasant so I guess it fits the bill.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #35
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
The Wreck of the River of Stars - Michael Flynn

It's about the crew of a doomed ship, lots of science and lots of complex characters.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #36
gagsays
gagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheesegagsays can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
No, I mean to say that Event Horizon is exactly what your looking for......although in movie form instead of book.
Just saw that movie and it is exactly the type of story i was looking for. but in movie form.

thanks for recommending this movie.
gagsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlewis View Post
The Wreck of the River of Stars - Michael Flynn

It's about the crew of a doomed ship, lots of science and lots of complex characters.
That's a fantastic book.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Here's my requirements-
1. Has to be about few people(6-10) traveling in a space ship.
2. Novel must not have alien invasion as the main theme because then it will definitely contain numerous character.
3. If possible earth might not even be involved at all other than in some backstory stuff.
4. I am looking for some thing between Alien movies and Moon(not twilight) movie or even Dead Space (it's a PS3 game).
5. Avoid long series (except if it is a strong contender) because again i don't want to experiment (just this time). 1-3 books will do.
6. It can be a mix of following genres (in left to right order)- sci-fi, adventure, horror, action
If you are wondering why i am being so specific, its because i have had ample share of bad books and plus i always like such setting in stories.
The Gold at the Starbow's End by Frederik Pohl meets your every criteria, I think.

Boat of a Million Years by Poul Anderson gets to spaceships eventually!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #39
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Just saw that movie and it is exactly the type of story i was looking for. but in movie form.

thanks for recommending this movie.
glad i could help
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alien, recommendation, sci-fi, searching, space travel