Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
johnstu
johnstu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS505, iPhone, Kindle 2, iPad 2
500 replaced by a newer model when sent for upgrade

Hi,

I'm from the UK so I asked a friend in the USA to send off my PRS500 for the epub upgrade for me.

So far, so normal.

But I was just talking to her on skype and she said that they are going to replace the unit with a newer model (albeit refurbished). She isn't into ebooks so coudn't remember which model the guy at Sony mentioned (apart from that it would be silver).

Has this happened to anyone else?
johnstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstu View Post
Hi,

I'm from the UK so I asked a friend in the USA to send off my PRS500 for the epub upgrade for me.

So far, so normal.

But I was just talking to her on skype and she said that they are going to replace the unit with a newer model (albeit refurbished). She isn't into ebooks so coudn't remember which model the guy at Sony mentioned (apart from that it would be silver).

Has this happened to anyone else?
Sony will give you a prs-600. I have gone through the same scenario but have been waiting for more than a month for the exchange. Hopefully Sony will get their act together and move on the exchange.
moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
johnstu

Thanks for the info. I thought I might end up with another 505 (no bad thing).

Is this widespread? I tried a search before posting but didn't seem to come up with anything.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
I cannot answer if this is what they do for everyone. In my case they either broke the 500 or could not be bothered fixing it.. It any case I will be a happy camper when I get the new one. It is too bad that no one you speak with at the repair center knows what is going on and I get a different answer each time call.

P.S. The 500 was replaced with a 600 that came today. I still stand by my statement that no one knows what is going on at the repair center as I have gotten a different answer each time. In fact, the tracking # they gave was totally wrong even though it was checked twice by their people. It took three weeks from the time they said I would get it until it came "one day overnight".

Last edited by moosejons_dad; 03-01-2010 at 11:37 AM.
moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
ltamote
ltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505 (500 dead); PRS-600; Kindle 2; PRS-300; Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstu View Post
Thanks for the info. I thought I might end up with another 505 (no bad thing).

Is this widespread? I tried a search before posting but didn't seem to come up with anything.
This happened to me, as well. They ended up replacing the 500 with a refurbished 505. It seemed like which unit they sent depended on which refurbished units they had on hand at the time, and whether or not you specified a preference (say for the 505 over the 300). I was never offered a refurbished 600, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejons_dad View Post
It is too bad that no one you speak with at the repair center knows what is going on and I get a different answer each time call.
This was exactly my experience, also.
ltamote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
johnstu

The new reader has turned up. It is...a 505.

I love the 505 but I don't really need another, so I said to my friend who mediated the upgrade for me that she can keep it if she wants. She's not working at the moment so I thought that might be nice for her.

She's going to give Wuthering Heights a go to see if she will be converted. If not, my brother is about to start his PhD so he might find a use for it.