Notices

Old 04-15-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
loc_141
Enthusiast
loc_141 began at the beginning.

Device: pBooks
500 vs 505

Hi folks,

I am thinking about buying a 500 for my girlfriend (since I am a cheapskate, thats all I can afford, plus I am so selfish I don't want hers to be better than mine) but I've never touched a 500 before so I only know a thing or 2 that 505 has but its predecessor doesn't. So let me start the list and you guys can add on

1. 505 has better screen: 8 shades compared to 4
2. 505 supports more formats
loc_141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 500 does not mount as an externally-visible disk; you can only transfer files to it using the Sony eBook Library software.

The 500 has less memory available for book storage (around 96MB).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #3
loc_141
Enthusiast

thanks for your reply, what if I put the books directly in the memory card and plug it in, would the reader detect them?
Oh and does 500 has a customizer like the 505?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, putting the books onto a memory card certainly works.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
Speaking personally... the low-contrast screen on the 500 is very poor. I found it a chore to read on the 500 unless I had very good lighting. I think you'd make your girlfriend a lot happier if you gave her the 505 instead - it's well worth the extra money.
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
it's better to save up money another month than give your gf a product that's not being supported anymore and has a low contrast screen. Really, you want to put your best foot forward.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
loc_141
Enthusiast

thanks for your replies. Actually my gf already has a jetbook and shes happy with it. The only problem with it is when you read it under the hot Singapore sun, the black jetbook absorbs the heat and the letters start to dance around a bit (this is a known problem mentioned in some other topics here). So I was just THINKING about getting her an e-ink device, and since she would most likely use it only when she's out, the poor contrast probably wouldn't look to bad.

Anyway, I did not know the 500 was still so hot on ebay. Either that or people didn't do their homework before bidding because most of the used 500s I bid for went up to around $170. That should be the price for a use 505!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Perhaps you can paint the jetbook white... that Krylon paint stays on plastic very well. You would have to take it apart to paint of "mask" it very well with painter tape.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once you get your GF a 505, you may as well put the Jetbook up for sale.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Once you get your GF a 505, you may as well put the Jetbook up for sale.
Gee your really on a crusade against the Jetbook today. Relax Jon. Not everyone has the same opinions as you do... as surprising as that may seem.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The biggest difference between the 500 and the 505 other than ePub is the screen. The screen on the 505 is much easier to read from. Save for the 505 and get your GF one. If you buy a 505 in the USA, you can even get her one in red.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:49 AM   #12
kevin_boone
Enthusiast
kevin_boone began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I've had both, and I really can't imagine going back to the 500 over the 505. It's not just the screen, although that's a big factor -- the 505 is snappier to use, has better-positioned controls, and better battery life.

You wont even save a huge amount of money buying the 500 -- second-hand prices are strong. Mind you, the flip-side is that you won't lose a lot of money if you buy one have have to sell it again
kevin_boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
I luuurve my 500
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas View Post
I luuurve my 500
I really enjoyed my 500 until I say the 505 and then that was it for my 500.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Perhaps you can paint the jetbook white... that Krylon paint stays on plastic very well. You would have to take it apart to paint of "mask" it very well with painter tape.

BOb
Good idea! Or purchase white color JetBook Silicon Sleeve:
http://www.ectaco.com/main.jsp?do=pr...tem&item=19240

Protect your investment and keep jetBook looking and working like new with this silicon sleeve. Defend it from the damaging effects of heavy use and from harmful contact with the other things you carry around in your backpack or handbag on both long and short trips.
The JetBook Silicon Sleeve is designed specifically for ECTACO jetBook e-Book Reader and will not fit other devices.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote