Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I hope less battery life is not a new trend. It will keep me from upgrading indefinitely.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #17
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
In the new 6" reader the battery is 1500 mAh like the glo hd.

Last edited by oren64; 06-26-2016 at 11:56 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #18
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I hope less battery life is not a new trend. It will keep me from upgrading indefinitely.
If it uses the new i.mx 7 cpu it should offer the same battery life even though it has a smaller capacity battery due to it's efficiency gains over the old i.mx 6.

If this reader does end up coming to market i think i might of finally found my PW3 replacement!

8" strikes a nice balance between 6" - 9.7" readers,hopefully they can make it lightweight enough to not fatigue long session one handed reading.

Unlike the kindle oasis i would be more than happy for them to reduce battery life to make a larger e reader non-heavy,fingers crossed!
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:31 AM   #19
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Should be interesting. Hopefully the new device will keep the SD card slot, and at a minimum keep the screen quality of the H2O but preferably improve upon it.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:19 AM   #20
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
If they gave it a skinny bezel like a cellphone, a 6.8" reader would still be comfortable one-handed. BIG if.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #21
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
The screenshots in both sets of FCC docs look like eInk to me, though I suppose there's no guarantee that means anything for the production release.

I'm surprised nobody here has talked much about the new 6" model - Kobo Aura Edition 2, or Kobo Aura One?

Last edited by chrisridd; 06-27-2016 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Corrected the name
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:04 AM   #22
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
7.8". Wow. That would be something to see. (I know Onyx has already done an 8", but I am not likely to ever be in a position to see one in a store.)

I really hope Kobo is going with the new i.Mx 7Dual for this. New controller + larger HD screen = goodness imho. :-D

Still, it would take something catastrophic to happen to my Aura H2O for me to buy one. (Which I cannot rule out, given the sad fate of my Aura HD.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
The screenshots in both sets of FCC docs look like eInk to me, though I suppose there's no guarantee that means anything for the production release.

I'm surprised nobody here has talked much about the new 6" model - Kobo Aura v2, or Kobo Aura One?
What screenshots? I don't see any.

And thanks for making me go check; I found another name for the 6" model.

It's called the Kobo Aura Editions 2.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #24
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
What screenshots? I don't see any.
See the "ID Label Location Information" - it's a screenshot of a settings page from a device.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
See the "ID Label Location Information" - it's a screenshot of a settings page from a device.
Why so it is. I saw that, but it didn't register.

Good eye!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #26
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:

I'm surprised nobody here has talked much about the new 6" model - Kobo Aura v2, or Kobo Aura One?

i agree, it seems people are more excited about the larger more cumbersome 7.8 inch possible release.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #27
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
For myself, I'm completely happy with the Kobo Glo HD and I much prefer a 6" size for portability and comfort. Since they gave these the name "Aura", I'm assuming that means they'll have a flush screen and be capacitive touch, both of which I really dislike. Really really dislike. There's no way I would use a capacitive touch reader. So that means I have zero interest in any of their new readers, 6" or 7.8" or larger.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eenk View Post
David, there is a fine but sometimes crucial difference between range and particular size. Being in range doesn't mean that a specific size is in manufacturing, as there might be no reasonable market for some sizes. Some reports in the past months suggest that the market for ebooks isn't that bright (albeit I'm sceptic about this), and with Amazon trying to fish at the low end, it will be interesting whether Kobo goes for the other end with a new screen size that would fragment the market even more, as growth is questionable.
From what I've read, the market for ebooks is doing fairly well but smaller retailers are not. Ereaders on the other hand are not doing as well. The reason I've seen most often is that many people read their ebooks on their phone/phablet/tablet. Arguably, reading on an eInk screen is easier on the eyes, allows reading in bright light, gives a much longer battery life, etc. but carrying a second device is not many people's choice.

As for the screen size, going back a couple of years, Kobo was first out with the 6.8" screen so being first with a 7.8" screen is quite believable.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:05 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
For myself, I'm completely happy with the Kobo Glo HD and I much prefer a 6" size for portability and comfort. Since they gave these the name "Aura", I'm assuming that means they'll have a flush screen and be capacitive touch, both of which I really dislike. Really really dislike. There's no way I would use a capacitive touch reader. So that means I have zero interest in any of their new readers, 6" or 7.8" or larger.
Personally, I wouldn't take a bet that the Aura name means a flush bezel unless given very good odds. Remember, the Aura HD and Aura H2O use IR touch.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #30
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Personally, I wouldn't take a bet that the Aura name means a flush bezel unless given very good odds. Remember, the Aura HD and Aura H2O use IR touch.
I'll have to at least see what those readers are if and when they're actually released in that case. Although I honestly can't see anything they can do better than the Glo HD, I'm really very happy with that reader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote