Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-18-2014, 04:27 AM   #1
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
check spelling

Kovid,
Attached Images

Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:26 AM   #2
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11

Now I'm looking for the easter eggs ...
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2014, 05:49 AM   #3
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kovid,

Sometimes I can't jump to a misspelled with [show next occurrence]. I happen i.e. with the German Word 'Abend' (7 times in the document) and the misspelled word 'abend' (one time in the document). The pointer is then at the beginning of the document.

Some wishes for maybe future extensions, what came up due to testing the dictionaries.

User dictionary: The possibility to import/export a word-list as text files (one word by line) because this format is common by most programs to share dictionaries between them.

Dictionaries, what are implemented or imported: The possibility to switch them off and on separately (similar to how you implement it für User dirctionaries) because of documents with mixed language where the need to identify used words separate is sometimes necessary.

Last edited by Divingduck; 04-18-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Great - really pleased to see the Sigil model used, with some worthwhile improvements

Will/can an option be added to sort the error word list as case sensitive, in English at least it usefully segregates proper nouns

Could an option be provided to export the error word list to a text file

Could the current language variant and dictionary be displayed on the Check Spelling dialogue.

Added - and could an option be added to omit the OPF file from spell checking

Big Thanks

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-18-2014 at 06:39 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Divingduck: Attach a file where you cannot jump to the next occurrence.

As for importing wordlists as user dictionaries, I can certainly implement that. However, in calibre a user dictionary contains not just a list of words but every word also has an associated language. Therefore, they cannot be exported as simple word lists without losing some information.

I dont understand why you need to turn off dictionaries. The spell check is perfectly capable of handling multilingual documents based on the language specified in the lang HTML attribute.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-18-2014 at 06:50 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Will/can an option be added to sort the error word list as case sensitive, in English at least it usefully segregates proper nouns
Sure.

Quote:
Could an option be provided to export the error word list to a text file
Why?

Quote:
Could the current language variant and dictionary be displayed on the Check Spelling dialogue.
There is no current language variant and dictionary. The dictionary used depends on language declarations in the book being checked. There can be multiple such declarations in different areas of the book.

Quote:
Added - and could an option be added to omit the OPF file from spell checking
Why? You wish to misspell words in the OPF?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Kovid, mine doesn't jump to word in the first place and not when I press the find next occurrence button either. It is a 36 mb file, so I will have to shrink down the images before I can even upload it.

That brings me to another unrelated request: the ability to bulk export images. They are all PNGs, too big. I need to be able to export them, process them and bring them back. Nor so hard once I can get them out, but I end up having to go back to the source to do it.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@mrmikel: There is no jumping to words in the first place. Jumping only happens if you double click or click Show next ocurrence.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kovid - Re OPF - I write most of my metadata myself, and I use abbreviations and jargon words that are meaningful to me that are not in dictionary. And if anything needs correcting I would want to correct it in the library. I don't make any use of the embedded metadata, I put a jacket at the end of the book with all my metadata.

Re export of error list, if I have a 'book' in other formats (eg PDF and DOCX), then its usually easier to correct spelling errors by hand in the other formats than it is convert from EPUB and fix the layout etc of the other formats in Acrobat or Word etc.

BR
Old 04-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't do either. It does find them and correct them, but it doesn't jump on double click or find. Have converted the image files, let me take out the old and import the new and see if file size makes a difference. It would not surprise me if the file is malformed, even if it says ok on check book.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@BR: OPF checking only checks the standard metadata fields (title/comments/authors and so on) for errors. It does not check extended metadata fields like those calibre uses.

Surely there are spell checkers in whatever tools you use to edit your other formats?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone

Here is file that won't check now. Down to just about 7 mb.

Must add thanks for the spellcheck. It was the only thing really missing, since phrase express fills need for clips and for me works better.
Attached Files
File Type: epub west_wind_clear2.epub (6.20 MB, 266 views)
Old 04-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #13
Divingduck
Wizard

Kovid, here ist a testfile. It is protected. You will find the password as PM
I had add this dictionary in addition:
german de-de-frami dictionaries
Attached Files
File Type: zip Testfile.zip (623.6 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by Divingduck; 04-18-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #14
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
I have just a wee little request: can the spell check be aware of tags?
I get a lot of false hits on 12.0px, text-align, margin-top and the like. It should exclude numbers anyway.

Last edited by DrChiper; 04-18-2014 at 08:17 AM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Sigil doesn't check the OPF so it was a bit of a puzzle when I first saw all the errors it generated (on the first book I looked at there must have been over 50 just from comments). I put lots of web & email addresses in comments and most of my tags are abbreviations and acronyms.

Maybe there could be an option to group the errors by source file - then the likes of me could ignore all errors from the OPF file.

BR