Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #91
spblue
spblue began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I ordered mine on Sunday night (May 4th) and it's already been delivered here in Montreal. That was without the express shipping option too. If anyone else in Montreal is thinking about ordering, don't spend any extra money on shipping as it takes only one day anyway.

My only problem is that I wasn't home when the delivery guy came so I have to wait until tomorrow so I can go pick it up. Ugh. Can't wait to get my hands on that little baby. I've been using an old REB1100 for 7 years now and the thing looks like it's been in a war zone.
spblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #92
jimmyche
jimmyche began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hello, I just canceled my Dell order and got the E reader from my local Sony store instead. Got sick of Dell not being able to provide additional information regarding the Estimated ship day. Since my local sony store in Vancouver already got the reader while Dell still has received any. I believe it's safe to assume Dell got nothing from the initial shipment. To me the 30 dollar in saving is not worth all this hassle.

After all, I've got 20 dollar off for purchasing the 2 years additional warranty.
jimmyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #93
simonp
simonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyche View Post
Hello, I just canceled my Dell order and got the E reader from my local Sony store instead. Got sick of Dell not being able to provide additional information regarding the Estimated ship day. Since my local sony store in Vancouver already got the reader while Dell still has received any. I believe it's safe to assume Dell got nothing from the initial shipment. To me the 30 dollar in saving is not worth all this hassle.

After all, I've got 20 dollar off for purchasing the 2 years additional warranty.
I'm in Vancouver too. Which store did you go to? Do they have a 505 on display?
simonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #94
jimmyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
I'm in Vancouver too. Which store did you go to? Do they have a 505 on display?
I brought mine from Sony store Metropolis.
They got 4 units. One of which I have brought, One of which they were playing when I brought mine. Ask for Arthur, I am sure he can help you.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #95
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Well, dell now says that it will ship on the 12th, with the same excuse as mentioned before. Now, I ordered on the 25th. They knew how many people ordered. Why are they behind, especially since the readers are appearing in stores? I think I am going to cancel and get my brother-in-law to go to a Sony Store and buy them for me. Why should I support Dell when they are incapable of delivering as promised, with no reason given?
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 06:02 AM   #96
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now I am getting pissed. I am trying to figure out how to cancel my order on the Dell site and the "your account" page has URL errors in it, making it unable to load. Grrr. I find it amazing that a company as big as Dell fumbled this launch so wonderfully. I noticed that the Sony store has them out of stock as well. Way to introduce the product guys.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #97
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Just a detail note, folks:

The Sony device is named "The Reader" -- no "e" or "E" nor hyphen of any flavor.

The only reason I point this out so pedantically, is because the thing known as "eReader" is an e-book format that is not compatible with the Sony Reader, and can't be converted to work with it. I don't want anyone to buy eReader books thinking (because of the name confusion) that those files will work on the Reader, and then be understandably annoyed about it when they discover that they don't.

Thanks!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #98
jimmyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
Now I am getting pissed. I am trying to figure out how to cancel my order on the Dell site and the "your account" page has URL errors in it, making it unable to load. Grrr. I find it amazing that a company as big as Dell fumbled this launch so wonderfully. I noticed that the Sony store has them out of stock as well. Way to introduce the product guys.

Just log in to your account, click support and there's a "chat with us" fuction.
Or simply call them.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:26 AM   #99
Tom Swift
Addict

Uhh, that's the problem. I can't log into the account since the page is corrupt. I am getting html errors. I get very concerned when a company as big as Dell can't get their web page to properly work. This has happened before with Dell.

Going to give them till Tuesday and then phone to cancel.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:17 AM   #100
nathany
Enthusiast
nathany doesn't litternathany doesn't litter

Device: Kobo h2o
First look at eInk

I went down to the Sony Store (Langley, BC) and had a look... my first time seeing eInk in person, despite hearing of it ~8 years back. Quite impressive.

Not going to buy one right now though, especially with the lackluster Mac support... and also because many of my eBooks are 8x11 PDFs. I tried reformatting with calibre, and it worked okay, but not great.

Still, the Cybook would cost 50% more by the time it is shipped, and the iLiad Book Edition is still twice as much. Unless you really need a stylus or want to develop for it, the Sony is certainly more reasonable.
nathany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #101
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathany View Post
Not going to buy one right now though, especially with the lackluster Mac support... and also because many of my eBooks are 8x11 PDFs. I tried reformatting with calibre, and it worked okay, but not great.
Mac support is not really needed unless you plan to buy books from the Sony store... I haven't bought a one from them yet, had my reader more than a year now.

Yes, so called "PDF eBooks" are a problem, there not very 6inch reader device friendly. But, it they are all text they can be converted fairly easily.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, so called "PDF eBooks" are a problem, there not very 6inch reader device friendly. But, it they are all text they can be converted fairly easily.

BOb
Actually, converting text PDF's is not as easy as it looks. There are a number of gotchas you have to watch out for. There is no such thing as a perfect PDF conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #103
nathany
Enthusiast
nathany doesn't litternathany doesn't litter

Device: Kobo h2o
mac in canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Mac support is not really needed unless you plan to buy books from the Sony store... I haven't bought a one from them yet, had my reader more than a year now.
That's true. But then aren't you limited to classics and other non-DRM works (nice, to avoid DRM, but limiting selection)?

Has anyone had success with the Sony Reader store under VMware (or Parallels)?
nathany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Others have posted that Sny's software works under Parallels. But, DO NOT do any firmware updates via any sort of emulated Windows. You need a 100% true Windows system to be sure you don't brick the reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #105
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathany View Post
That's true. But then aren't you limited to classics and other non-DRM works (nice, to avoid DRM, but limiting selection)?

Has anyone had success with the Sony Reader store under VMware (or Parallels)?
Well, if you want to be 100% technical, sure. But, I am able to buy LIT books and convert them. Then again, you can't buy LIT books with a Mac either.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, prs-505, sony reader