Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #31
jeffgrado
jeffgrado began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770
http://youtube.com/watch?v=e04Lbm4y2ZU
The 500 and 505 are very similar as far as refresh rate, though the 505s method is different, perhaps.
jeffgrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's kinda hard to tell when you have the page presses at different times.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #33
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
There were a couple of synchronized turns.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #34
jeffgrado

Sorry about that, I couldn't think of an electronic way to turn them at the same time.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:24 PM   #35
hello
Custom User Title
hello began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5130
same speed. cybook owns them bot h. only question is if that black flash gets annoyin g after a zillion pages?
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #36
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I think a big reason for it not being as fast is that the Sony's go into a power saving mode almost immediately. This is why their battery time is so much better.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello View Post
only question is if that black flash gets annoyin g after a zillion pages?
In my experience (which has been echoed by the reports of most others) the more you use it the less you notice the black flashing.

A few people do seem to find it insufferable, but that seems to happen almost immediately and get worse, rather than better.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #38
jeffgrado

I don't mind the flash at all when reading. Don't even notice it most of the time.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #39
hello
Custom User Title

i think this is doable: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dJzR5AXkR28 the son y would probably frustrate me as it just barely makes you chec k if the page is fully loaded.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello View Post
i think this is doable: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dJzR5AXkR28 the son y would probably frustrate me as it just barely makes you chec k if the page is fully loaded.
The Gen3 flashes the same as the 505. What's the difference?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #41
hello
Custom User Title

some people may notice a differenc e in speed. which can be discomforting for some other people. people that have read argument s posted.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #42
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherchance View Post
Awaiting your video with baited breath, and I have a couple of questions too.

My 505 is on its way to me, with the AC adapter following along a day or so behind. Will it require charging before it can be used, or does it come fully-juiced?

If it is juiced-up, can it be turned on and used "straight out of the box" without hooking up to a PC and registering? Does it come with any content pre-loaded that could be used immediately?
It comes pretty much charged with a bunch of book excerpts. Bronte's Wuthering Heights is the only one given in full

I have the video... but UTube still has not sent me the confirmation e-mail... it is 21MB, so too big to post here I expect
boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #43
hello
Custom User Title

perhaps you should try rapidshare.de out tha t hosts it as a download on prett y fast servers.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #44
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by boca View Post
It comes pretty much charged with a bunch of book excerpts. Bronte's Wuthering Heights is the only one given in full.
Thanks for that. Useful info.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #45
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300
UTube of refresh comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaSH_pLctvM

First time Utuber...I have just uploaded the video, presume it will take some time to process.

This is a small video showing side by side page turning comparison.
Both books are turning Orwell's 1984 from the Connect Store.

However, the 505, has 110 books in internal memory, and the 500 has only 1.

Neither readers have memory cards inserted.

As you can see both readers get 'stuck' at times. I guess they are not used to being page-turned so frequently... however the 500 gets stuck more often. Don't get too excited... I did not probably do enough page turns to get a statistically relavavent sample. (Nor will I, before you ask!)

BTW sold the 500 reader on Amazon Marketplace... only took a few hours to go, so any buyers guilt has been extinguished!

Conclusion on my purchase?

I really like the 505. The Screen is superb, the Buttons are in the right place (apart from the damn power button!) and whatever anyone else says, the cover and thinner design are lovely.

Thanks for allowing me to contribute to your Forum... But now it is time to read a book.

Last edited by boca; 10-06-2007 at 08:02 AM.
boca is offline   Reply With Quote