Notices

Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #16
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by boca View Post
Refresh Rate... I could see absolutely no difference in time between page turns. The 505 treats the refresh differently to the 500, but it still seems to take as long.
I'm surprised people haven't jumped all over this bit. I would expect page turns to be faster with the Vizplex screen. Perhaps the additional greyscales makes page turning just as fast as the old unit.

Boca, do you still have both units? If you can, I'd be interested in seeing a video of them side-by-side doing pageturns.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #17
darkstar
Enthusiast
darkstar began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 505, kindleDX,KA1
I just came home and opened the delivered box for the 505. I was worried about the page turns being the same speed as my 500 - but the 505 seems almost twice as fast ( sigh of relief )
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #18
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
I just came home and opened the delivered box for the 505. I was worried about the page turns being the same speed as my 500 - but the 505 seems almost twice as fast ( sigh of relief )
Now I am going to get paranoid...
Would refresh rate have anything to do with numbers of books on the reader?
When I tested I had 110 on the 505 but only 1 on the 500.
boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #19
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I haven't noticed significant difference in page turn speeds either. It seems about the same to me. I've done side by side comparisons of the same book on the same page and the speed is nearly identical. Page turn was never a big deal for me. Coming from an iliad I found the page turn speed to be fantastic!
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #20
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
I'm surprised people haven't jumped all over this bit. I would expect page turns to be faster with the Vizplex screen. Perhaps the additional greyscales makes page turning just as fast as the old unit.

Boca, do you still have both units? If you can, I'd be interested in seeing a video of them side-by-side doing pageturns.
I have taken some video, and am waiting on a confirmation e-mail from Utube, which I have just joined.

Never done this before, so bear with me and hopefully you can see for yourself shortly.
Advert
Old 10-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Now I am going to get paranoid...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I haven't noticed significant difference in page turn speeds either.
Are either of you using embedded fonts? That slows page turn down considerable ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I haven't noticed significant difference in page turn speeds either. It seems about the same to me. I've done side by side comparisons of the same book on the same page and the speed is nearly identical. Page turn was never a big deal for me. Coming from an iliad I found the page turn speed to be fantastic!
I don't regard page turn speed to be an issue either, but I'm interested to read your comments about the iLiad. I've found the page turn speed to be pretty much the same on the Reader and the iLiad. Are you using the Mobi viewer on your iLiad, or reading PDFs?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #23
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

I sold the iLiad before mobipocket was released. My reference point was pdf which was definitely slower. I thought the iLiad was a great device and bought it when it was first released expecting to ultimately get a suspend feature. When it became apparent that would not happen I decided to move to the Sony.

For these devices to be successful they really need to eliminate the technology from the users perception. Having to wait a minute for a device to turn on became frustrating for me, particularly when traveling on international flights where I will typically start and stop my reading frequently.

I really like the content delivery service for the iLiad and if they can improve the hardware side I think they will have a winning customer experience and I'll probably buy another one.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:27 PM   #24
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

In regards to embedded fonts, I see the same page turn performance between the 500 and 505 when just changing pages in the book lister. As I said, it's not really a big issue for me since I found the page turning speed to be adequate. I just hit the button part way through the last sentense. All in all I really like the 505. The thinner size, better screen and new layout is a plus for me and the device just feels overall more refined. The simple change with collections, goto page feature and book sorting were enough to sway me. At first glance I wasn't sure the screen was a big difference, but after using it more in different lighting conditions the change is welcome. It particular helps in lower light environments.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #25
boca
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Are either of you using embedded fonts? That slows page turn down considerable ....
Nope... I compared Orwell's 1984 bought from Sony Connect on both machines.
If UTube ever send me that e-mail to confirm my e-mail address then I will post some video
Old 10-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well both of those ought to be apples to apples comparisons -- I dunno what's going on then.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #27
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Nope... I compared Orwell's 1984 bought from Sony Connect on both machines.
If UTube ever send me that e-mail to confirm my e-mail address then I will post some video
Awaiting your video with baited breath, and I have a couple of questions too.

My 505 is on its way to me, with the AC adapter following along a day or so behind. Will it require charging before it can be used, or does it come fully-juiced?

If it is juiced-up, can it be turned on and used "straight out of the box" without hooking up to a PC and registering? Does it come with any content pre-loaded that could be used immediately?
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist

The 500's generally came at least partly charged, and with some sample excerpts on them.

I'd assume the partial charge thing will hold true, but I don't think anyone's commented on the samples yet.

You shouldn't need to hook it up to anything to use it -- many folks have been using 500's for months who don't even own a PC, so ....
Old 10-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #29
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Mine came partially charged. You can just plug it into a usb port to charge with the included cable. It does come preloaded with excerpts from a number of books and I believe a full copy of Wuthering Heights if memory serves me correctly. You can also just copy files over to an SD or Memory Stick and plug it in. Enjoy.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Mine came partially charged. You can just plug it into a usb port to charge with the included cable. It does come preloaded with excerpts from a number of books and I believe a full copy of Wuthering Heights if memory serves me correctly. You can also just copy files over to an SD or Memory Stick and plug it in. Enjoy.
The 500 came with a few full books including a Star Trek book. I think what they give you now is basically useless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote