Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Strange email problem

Greetings,

Thank you so much for making Calibre, it has already helped me a lot. My problem concerns the sending of multiple books to my reading device. Calibre will send the first book fine, but then subsequent emails will timeout. The weirder things is that any attempt to send another email will timeout as well. I have to close Calibre and reopen to send another book to my email.

Is this a known issue? I'm using the Kindle3 and sending emails to me@free.kindle.com

I can attach a number of books to a single email and send that to myself using web based gmail, and then my Kindle3 will download those one at a time.

It might not even be worth bothering about since Calibre only takes a second or so to restart, and then I send myself another book, but having the option to send a bulk email would be nice, determining why sequential emails aren't working would be good too.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
whats the exact error message you get? Note that calibre waits 5 minutes between consecutive mails when using gmail.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Well, this wasn't a problem at all I see. I just wasn't aware that Calibre waited 5 minutes before sending another email, I thought something was timing out.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the wait is to prevent anti span controls in gmail from kicking in.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes, the wait is to prevent anti span controls in gmail from kicking in.
Thanks for this thread. I was having the same issue.

Can all the ebooks you select not be attached to a single email?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Can all the ebooks you select not be attached to a single email?
Size limitations of attachments makes this difficult. Especially since providers put arbitrary restrictions on the total file size.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Size limitations of attachments makes this difficult. Especially since providers put arbitrary restrictions on the total file size.
Ok, but it was said this behavior is specific to Gmail... so can't it know the specific attachment limits with gmail and limit the number of emails sent by maximizing the attachment size?

BOb
Old 03-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, but it was said this behavior is specific to Gmail... so can't it know the specific attachment limits with gmail and limit the number of emails sent by maximizing the attachment size?
I'm not 100% sure if the delay is specific to Gmail or was implemented for all provides because of Gmail. We could check every provider and have a list of attachment sizes but I don't see much benefit. Also, I don't know if Amazon accepts multiple attachments when emailing an ebook to a Kindle.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure if the delay is specific to Gmail or was implemented for all provides because of Gmail. We could check every provider and have a list of attachment sizes but I don't see much benefit. Also, I don't know if Amazon accepts multiple attachments when emailing an ebook to a Kindle.
Yep, was just an idea... not worries. I think you can do multiple attachments, see OPs message.

I haven't worked with Calibre in a long time and it has come a long was since I last used it.

BOb
Old 03-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The delay is specific to gmail and hotmail.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
Quote:
I don't know if Amazon accepts multiple attachments when emailing an ebook to a Kindle.
They do. I have sent several files to my Kindle in a single email, and they all got delivered.
loximuthal is offline   Reply With Quote