Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
What to do in Toronto?

Ok, I know this is terribly last minute, but it's also quite typical of me!

I need some suggestions of activities to do in TO, sightseeings, beaches, special parks, anything nice, really, that could help me convince my boyfriend to take the plunge and bring me to the meet-up (that's not manipulation, I know he will enjoy it in the end! ). We would get there Friday night and leave Sunday afternoon, and the TO meet-up is Saturday at 1pm, so what I'm looking for needs to be doable in short spans of time.

He said yes, then no, then yes, and now it's something like "*Why* would I go to Toronto and *what* am I going to do there?", so I'm counting on you guys to help me find things to motivate him!

Any suggestion is welcome, and if you happen to have the best strip club in North America, it could just be what I need (what he needs, actually)...

Thank you!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Did his programming fail again? You'll have tobring him here again, but this time we'll use the serious tools. I just hope he'll survive that one...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
when i was in toronto, my cousins took me to the beach, which was absolutely gorgeous. we started from the end near the water treatment plant (which is actually a beautiful neoclassic building, recently renovated) and walked all the way along the boardwalk. we saw geese and ducks (you might not, it was in october, i don't know where they live in summer) and the view is really striking, and the colours were magnificent.

we also visited downtown ; there are some really great neighborhoods which i'm sure an actual toronto... person (torontan ? toronto-ite ?? what's the name of the habitants of toronto ?) can tell you about, one neighborhood (near chinatown, i think) there was a lot of little shops and markets, we went to a cheese shop and a bakery and had pie, and there were funky clothes shops too.

downtown there is the deco school which is a stunning building, looks like a giant matchbox on stilts ! and a lot of really funky neighborhoods that are just fun to walk in because the buildings are pretty interesting to look at. i could probably point on a map but i forget exactly. there was a big park and one of those big department stores nearby, the park was full of black squirrels !!

i also went up the CN tower. it was farking expensive (27$ !!!!!!!) but it was worth it, the view was striking. i walked all the way around and just stared out, at the city, but mostly over the lake, which was breathtaking. the weather was perfect that day. that glass floor is terrifying though. luckily it's just a small part.

i really loved it ; i can't remember all the things we did, a lot of stuff just around the city (at the time, they were living in greektown, and we did a lot in their neighborhood too). it's definitely worth going !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
The Toronto Islands are really nice.
http://www.toronto.ca/parks/island/

He can wear his Hab jersey and go visit the Hockey Hall of Fame. He should have fun talking real loud and saying, "Wow 1967 was the last time the Leafs won the cup, I think my dad was still in diapers."
http://www.hhof.com/

You can go visit the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Royal Ontario Museum and ask when they're going to come out as an ebook.
http://www.rom.on.ca/scrolls/

You can go to the Ontario Science Centre and watch Star Trek on the IMAX dome.
http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/i...myyyy=16082009
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Did his programming fail again? You'll have tobring him here again, but this time we'll use the serious tools. I just hope he'll survive that one...
Hope?? I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask for a guarantee here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
when i was in toronto, my cousins took me to the beach, which was absolutely gorgeous. we started from the end near the water treatment plant (which is actually a beautiful neoclassic building, recently renovated) and walked all the way along the boardwalk.

i also went up the CN tower. it was farking expensive (27$ !!!!!!!) but it was worth it, the view was striking. i walked all the way around and just stared out, at the city, but mostly over the lake, which was breathtaking. the weather was perfect that day. that glass floor is terrifying though. luckily it's just a small part.
Beach=really good idea (for him, I don't like them).
I'm really disappointed at the price to visit the CN Tower! I still want to go though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
The Toronto Islands are really nice.
http://www.toronto.ca/parks/island/
Sold! Definitely sold!

Quote:
He can wear his Hab jersey and go visit the Hockey Hall of Fame. He should have fun talking real loud and saying, "Wow 1967 was the last time the Leafs won the cup, I think my dad was still in diapers."
If I *have* to I'll use this, but I'd rather not.

Quote:
You can go visit the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Royal Ontario Museum and ask when they're going to come out as an ebook.
http://www.rom.on.ca/scrolls/
Oh, you shouldn't have written that...make me say "I wanna go, I wanna go, I wanna go!!!!" when he doesn't...I'll try to force him...

Quote:
You can go to the Ontario Science Centre and watch Star Trek on the IMAX dome.
http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/i...myyyy=16082009
Nice, we would both like it!

guys!
Hope it works!
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Quote:
If I *have* to I'll use this, but I'd rather not.
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask for a guarantee here...
I can guarantee he won't survive that little trip... Not that I'm a fan, but there seem to be more than few in Toronto...

I've lived in downtown Toronto for the last 25 years, and I can't think of much to add - except the pubs... neighbourhood pubs, everywhere - Bloor St, College St, Danforth Ave, anywhere there is a neighbourhood

Oh yes, the weekend weather will be sunny, pushing 30 degrees, and a lot of the pubs have outdoor patios...

Hope that helps :-)
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
never been to Toronto. planning on going there sometime. thanks for this thread.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
Verencat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I can guarantee he won't survive that little trip... Not that I'm a fan, but there seem to be more than few in Toronto...

I've lived in downtown Toronto for the last 25 years, and I can't think of much to add - except the pubs... neighbourhood pubs, everywhere - Bloor St, College St, Danforth Ave, anywhere there is a neighbourhood

Oh yes, the weekend weather will be sunny, pushing 30 degrees, and a lot of the pubs have outdoor patios...

Hope that helps :-)
It does! Mmmm, beeeeeerrrrr......

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobee View Post
never been to Toronto. planning on going there sometime. thanks for this thread.
You should plan on going there this Saturday, for the Meet-Up!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Me! ME!! I know where Toronto is!!

oh, that wasn't the question?

Actually, there was this lovely Canadian gentleman who came to visit the lovely grocery store at which I was employed part time a few years back. As I was ringing him up, I casually asked "oh, where are you from?" Tourists are quite obvious in that particular (local, rough-ish) grocery store. Heck, they've obvious most places. And they usually love to share where they are from, and it gives me something interesting to talk about whilst ringing them up.

He replies "TO-RON-TO, that's in CA-NA-DA" (imagine those hyphenated words said-- literally-- the exact way you'd tell a child. A brain-damaged child).

I looked at him (this was not one of my finer customer service moments) and said quite clearly "I'm not STUUUU-PID, I know where TO-RON-TO is." and finished ringing him up. He didn't say another word.

So, anyway, as I was saying I know where it is! I know where it is!!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Verencat
Wizard

Pictures are in! The view from our room (21st floor) The city, beautiful church, Canadian geese and.... Black Ninja Squirrel!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1284.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	34748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1286.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	34749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1304.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	34750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1289.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	34751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1316.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	34752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1325.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	34753   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1328.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	34754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1339.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	34755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1336.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	34756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1288.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	34757  
Old 08-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Pictures are in! The view from our room (21st floor) The city, beautiful church, Canadian geese and.... Black Ninja Squirrel!!!
Thanks Vcat. And for those that don't know, the building in the middle of the first photo is Maple Leaf Gardens, past home of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks for the photos vcat ! those are lovely ! and you got a really good one of that black ninja squirrel ! it makes me wish i could go back there, i really liked toronto.

in fact, i'm going to write an email to my cousin right now (although he doesn't live in toronto anymore).
Old 08-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #13
Verencat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Thanks Vcat. And for those that don't know, the building in the middle of the first photo is Maple Leaf Gardens, past home of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Thanks, even I didn't know that!

Z, is your cousin still in Canada? If so, I smell another meet-up coming up...
Old 08-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Thanks, even I didn't know that!

Z, is your cousin still in Canada? If so, I smell another meet-up coming up...
yes, still in canada, but they've recently moved to newfoundland ! (to be closer to me. no, really !) (okay, that wasn't the *main* reason. )
Old 08-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #15
Verencat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
yes, still in canada, but they've recently moved to newfoundland ! (to be closer to me. no, really !) (okay, that wasn't the *main* reason. )
yeah, that's closer to you, but quite far... Maybe I should put that idea in my boyfriend's mind right now...