Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Question m-edge leisure jacket - hard back?

I'm considering buying a more protective cover for my 505 and have been looking at and reading about the m-edge leisure jacket (http://www.buymedge.com/p_Sony505Ls.html) . The edges are soft foam they say, but what about the back?

Is the back of the leisure jacket hard/rigid? I.e. does it protect the reader screen from pressure, and twisting, when it is turned around facing the back?

I'm hoping to use that cover in a backpack or my purse if it is rigid enough.... otherwise I guess I'll have to go with the BookArmour, although I like the leisure jacket idea for reading by the kids' sand box, or while eating...

Thanks for any comments on how you use the LeisureJacket!
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi June. I have a LeisureJacket and am very pleased with it. The back cover is padded and does protect the screen when you place it in the cover screen first. I use the LeisureJacket at the gym and when I'm on travel. I stick the reader in screen first and place it in my carry on. So far (12 months), I haven't had a problem. I also use it at the beach and on boats. Although it isn't waterproof, it is water resistant.

And I had a very good experience with MEdge. About six months after I bought the LeisureJacket, the zipper broke. So I sent MEdge an email asking what it would cost to have it repaired. And without asking and at no charge, they mailed me a new one. That is damn good customer support.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks cassidym for the reply. When you say the "back cover is padded" does that mean that it's all made of some soft material (foam) and can be for example bent/squished? Or does the back cover had a hard middle layer (plastic in the middle, with padding around)? Is it of similar "bendiness" as the stock cover or more rigid?

Sorry about all the questions, but I have no chance to see one in person... It does sound very nice, but I'm stuck thinking I want a rigid flat surface covering the screen
Old 01-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is bendable. If you want to PM me a mailing address, I can mail you my old one with the broken zipper (if I can find it) and you can check it out. I think I still have it somewhere
Old 01-31-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
You aren't the only one that wants a cover with better screen protection that any that Sony have. I modify every cover I try for my Reader by adding a rigid insert into the front cover to protect the screen from the point-pressure that people report fracturing the glass substrate in the screen. I am currently using the At-A-Glace Planner cover with a cut down clipboard inserted inside the front cover as a screen protector.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 AM   #6
June
Addict

cassidym - thank you for the kind offer, PM sent

revfish - an extra insert is what I've been thinking about, been looking at the top seam of the stock cover, thinking maybe i could rip it open and add an insert... a cut down clipboard sounds like a good source for an insert. Hmm.... Maybe I could add some type of thin sticky-backed felt to an insert and keep that at the bottom of the leisure jacket to add rigidity.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
The stock cover will not work for an insert. I wound up cutting up my tan one in an attempt at such a thing but it is glued together too well. The felt idea might work. I would be afraid of it peeling back over time and getting adhesive all over the Reader.

I have used the insert more for planner cover style cases.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:40 AM   #8
June
Addict

Thanks for that info revfish, kept me from cutting up my tan stock cover I have some felt of the type that is used on pool tables, I'll try to stick that to some plastic to see if it stays put.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

June, just mailed the (broken) Leisure Jacket to you and sent you a PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
June
Addict

Sweet - the Leisure Jacket has arrived. The back is a bit too flexible/soft for my liking. BUT I just discovered that it can be tweaked...

The 'frame' that the 505 sits in is attached to a square of cardboard and glued into the cover. I ripped the 'frame' out of the zippered cover, and with adding a piece of board/plastic in between the 'frame' and the cover, stacking and gluing them back together, I think I will have a nice and rigid back that will protect the screen perfectly. The glue is drying as I write this, so I'll test it tomorrow. And post pictures once I get them transferred to my computer.

Thank you cassidym for letting me have your broken cover, I wouldn't have had the guts to buy one unseen and then tear it up.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
miao
miao doesn't littermiao doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
June, thanks for sharing your idea on tweaking the Leisure Jacket.
I have just tweaked mine by inserting a sheet of plastic (cut out of a dvd box) between the bottom and the back cover.
BTW the Leisure Jacket works very well with my new PRS-600, too.
miao is offline   Reply With Quote