Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
calibre running slowly OS X??

i suspect the issue may be my computer (mac powerPC 867MHz 1 GB ram OS 10.5.8, calibre 7.28 since this is a non-intel mac) but it does not hurt to ask ...

conversion from ePub to mobi took about 10 minutes (350 page book). opening the converted book in calibre takes about 2 minutes. page turn speed is acceptable once open.

is this typical, or is there something i can do to speed things up?

thanks
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
opening mobi files in the calibre viewer is slow (because it is internally converted to epub). Open epub instead. Also there were various speed improvements, especially to the viewer since 0.7.28, but you will not be able to use them as you're ona power pc. Conversion can take anywhere from under a minute to a few hours depending on the internal complexity of the file in question. Typically, it takes under a couple of minutes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

thanks for the info. sounds like i am within normal limits, given the constraint of this old mac.

i have access to a PC running XP and will give it a trial also to decide what i want to use on a regular basis.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
tm3
Groupie

just as a follow up in case it matters to anyone else ...

tried the same on a 2002 vintage laptop PC running XP, not sure about the processor. conversion took a couple of minutes, opening the mobi file maybe 30 seconds or so. much, much faster than on the OS X machine.