Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Kobo doesn't recognise new books

Hi All

Recently have had a problem when adding new books to the Kobo, it doesn't see them. I've upgraded to 1.4 a while ago and have added books since, with no problem. Added some books with Calibre (7.10) and they do not show up. Tried adding with Calibre 7.9, still don't show up. I've checked my SD card and they are there, physically, but do not show up under authors, titles or as new. Tried a soft reset (paper clip) and this didn't work either. Tried using ADE to load a few of the books and ADE said they are already there, but I added anyway. They still don't show up. I tried swapping SD cards thinking this might be the problem but still no go.

I'm running out of ideas! I've tried everything I can think of short of a hard reset (which I don't want to do as I'm leaving on holidays tomorrow).

Any suggestions?
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I don't know how to use an SD card so not sure how that goes but what if you leave it out and plug into Calibre. What does the Calibre show on the reader? Or if you click on the reader icon when it is plugged in to the computer are those books omitted on that list?
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Gordo29
Connoisseur

Hi wrenn1

When there is no sd card in the Kobo Calibre does not see a card, so when I tried this only the books in the Kobo memory can be seen by Calibre.

I've also tried adding the books to the Kobo as well as the SD card, but still no go either way.

Could the Kobo database be messed up?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

There are so many things that can and do go wrong with this thing that it is hard to keep track. I am hoping someone more tech minded will see this soon and help you since I am at a loss.

Eventually things do work out with this thing.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
A couple of possibilities come to mind...
If these books are pdf files, they don't show up when looking for books; in Koboland, pdf files are Documents. Up at the top of the I'm reading page, you will see Books and Documents; hit the up and right buttons to highlight Docs, then select it.
The other possibility is that you are seeing only the 100 free books, which is one of the choices, along with 'new books' and 'all books'. Unfortunately, I can't remember how to get to that menu, right now. Anyone else?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
wrenn1
Addict

click on 'display' and pick either 100 books, or your books, or both....if they aren't in 'docs'.

Hope you find them.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
pholy helped me sort out some epub files for my mom and it turns out there was something off with the file. She keeps asking me about them though, wanting to read them. Someone mentioned PDF files up-thread, maybe I should just convert those files to PDF and she can read them that way.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
Gordo29
Connoisseur

Thanks everyone for the replies. No, they are not .pdf files and I have the options set for not showing the free 100 books. They are epub files converted by Calibre from txt and other formats.

Any other ideas/suggestions?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
wrenn1
Addict

With your Kobo plugged in when you open up Calibre, do they show on that? Not the Calibre list but the 'reader' list?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 AM   #10
JOCO_MKNZ
JOCO_MKNZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
I had a very similar issue which eventually ended up bricking the Kobo. I named my comic books (manga to be accurate) "Issue #01.zip.epub" this made the files invisible and the device eventually stalled and locked up.

Moral of the story: Try to see if the filename of the epub is sensible.
JOCO_MKNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #11
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOCO_MKNZ View Post
I had a very similar issue which eventually ended up bricking the Kobo. I named my comic books (manga to be accurate) "Issue #01.zip.epub" this made the files invisible and the device eventually stalled and locked up.

Moral of the story: Try to see if the filename of the epub is sensible.
I suppose a-z and 0-9, with - and, and. also.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
Gordo29
Connoisseur

Problem solved - the hard way

Hi All Back from holidays and have now solved the problem. Tried the following while on holidays (did not have access to internet or desktop computer) and it did NOT work:

"soft" reset (paper clip)
remove SD card (thought it might be a bad epub file)
"hard" reset (from the advanced menu)
2 more hard resets (lost Covers doing this)
Redid the firmware upgrade (when I got home)

What DID work:

When I got home I deleted all the files on the Kobo (luckily had made backup shortly after purchasing) and recopied from backup
hard reset

Everything is fine now (added books show up and bookmarks work) and have the covers back. Not sure what the original problem was, trashed sqlite file?

Frustrating, but done.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 AM   #13
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Dunno if it's the same, but I had a similar problem when adding new books and realising they didn't show up anywhere. The problem was evident when the Kobo, after disconnecting from the computer, would barely reach halfway in its processing bar before rebooting to the I'm Reading screen.

To pinpoint the problem, I ended up resyncing using the Kobo desktop software, figuring that if it was a database problem, the sync would overwrite over any bad parts. The syncing added some books I had bought from their store (I usually prefer to download my purchases as ePubs and add them via Calibre instead of syncing them), but didn't recognise the other books I already had on the reader. Opened up ADE, realised that some items on the reader were showing up with item errors, so deleted them from within that program. Disconnected, reconnected, then realised that in some cases, ADE hadn't physically deleted the file, just removed the listing, so I deleted the epubs from the Kobo drive. Then I readded ePubs, one by one, which worked, showing up in the I'm Reading screen. Two particular ePubs caused the return of the borked processing screen, so I removed those, then added a newly downloaded ePub from MobileRead's PD collection. That showed up with no problems.

I really don't know what went wrong there. I mean, yes, the problem was most likely those two ePubs themselves, but I don't know whether it was the excessively long filenames they had, and when the problem persisted even after I renamed them, had I somehow corrupted the corresponding entries in the reader's database? Was the problem when ADE started showing 'Item Error' for the invisible ePubs? One of them also showed up with validation errors. Grrrgh.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post this so that it might help others searching through the forums in the future. Gordo, I was growing quite frustrated when this problem first occurred, but it was helpful to see the steps you had taken to try to fix your problem.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote