Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Converting Pages to Word

I am due to pass on my trusty 3KG dell "Laptop" to my better half for use on his startup business, as I have finally bitten the bullet and ordered One.

Yes my iPad is on its way. Seeing as most of the writing I do is on trains, and in hotel bars, when I'm away on business, I think this is definitely the way to go.

My question now, is what App should I download to use to write on. Its got to be able to either export in Word 97-2000 format, of even save in it.

Any recommendations?

Does Pages do it, or should I use something like Quick Office or Office2HD? both of which claim to be word compatible (in fact I have quick office on my Iphone)
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
I am due to pass on my trusty 3KG dell "Laptop" to my better half for use on his startup business, as I have finally bitten the bullet and ordered One.

Yes my iPad is on its way. Seeing as most of the writing I do is on trains, and in hotel bars, when I'm away on business, I think this is definitely the way to go.

My question now, is what App should I download to use to write on. Its got to be able to either export in Word 97-2000 format, of even save in it.

Any recommendations?

Does Pages do it, or should I use something like Quick Office or Office2HD? both of which claim to be word compatible (in fact I have quick office on my Iphone)
Pages does do it but there seem to be a few issues with them being 100% perfect when then opened in Word.

you could look into Docs 2 go.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did look at docs to go, but its reviews are average to poor, with indications of hidden charges.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Pages converts to Doc with no issues. Unless you have a totally complex layout, there's bound to be problems. But then, there's also issues when opening a complex word document on another pc with another printer installed ... it's always a mess.

If you just type regular text you should be fine.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
I did look at docs to go, but its reviews are average to poor, with indications of hidden charges.
No hidden charges, and it is the best by far available now on the iPad. I have used d2g for many years (ever since the Palm Pilot days), and it is a very mature program. It is the only app that can do Office 2007 docs (import and export). It is also a dream with Dropbox... now my documents are all synced with ease on my iPhone, iPad, Netbook and desktop...

If you just want to view docs, Goodreader works great, but if you want to edit then d2g is the way to go....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
mjhudston
All round good egg

I will be creating them as basic documents, as I will then use the Book creator template and run them through calibre to create LRF, EPUB Etc for my site, or as the basic docs will be uploaded to smashwords.

I might give pages a try as I also use it on the Mac at work.

As for my comments on docs 2 go, I was only re-itterating what I have seen on the ratings on Itunes. And incidentally they mention hidden charges when using it with Drop Box.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

I understand, but no hidden charges .... Dropbox or otherwise.... unless of course you choose the larger storage Dropbox option (I don't) but that has nothing to do with d2g..... You get 2 gig free storage with Dropbox, and that is a lot of Word docs

Just a free tip, If you plan to do a lot of editing, you will regret getting Pages. Many try pages and then get d2g because Pages just cannot keep the formatting straight... good luck...

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 06-10-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i'm with bremen.. pages is like a kid's plastic toybox word-processor. docs2go is a sturdy metal craftsman toolbox filled with professional tools. i've used docs2go for years on my iphone, picked up pages when the ipad came out and was glad when docs2go finally was updated for the ipad.

even if you only use it for viewing word (and excel) documents docs2go will give you a more faithful rendition of the original document and lose less formatting than pages, numbers and keynote do. i have experimented with dozens of technical documents. apple seems interested in only bare MS compatibility over pushing their own iWork applications. this would be great if most of the world used iWork apps on the desktop, but they don't.

as for "hidden" charges. the only thing someone could mean is the in-app store allows you to buy/upgrade from the basic version to the professional version with a one-time charge. the net price is exactly the same if you bought the pro version to begin with, it's nice they don't decide to charge you extra. while i can recommend the pro version, if you're unsure of your needs and want to save a few bucks, get the basic version and upgrade at a later time if you feel the need. you can read the product descriptions in the store to see the differences between the two.

there is no app for iOS that is going to equal full desktop versions of word, excel and powerpoint, but D2G is pretty close. the iWork apps have a long way to go.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
For me the Pages output to word works perfectly out as long as i avoid graphic backgrounds.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Thanks scottjl, I forgot about the upgrade path, that may have been what someone was talking about.... The full Pro version is $15... for that you get compatibility with Word, Excel and Powerpoint. And others as well..... I don't use the PowerPoint to do anything but view... but the Word and Excel parts edit very nicely.

Please understand you are not going to get the full MS Office experience for $15.... but it is darn good... I wish MS would make a MS Office "lite" for iPad... but if they did it would be overpriced and the bottom line is they will never do it.....
Old 06-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
I can't comment on the other solutions which I haven't tried, but I've been using Pages almost daily going back and forth from Word.

I'm in the midst of revising a 150+ page agreement that was originally a Word doc and I have moved to Pages. I have been extracting 1 or 2 page excerpts from that, revising those and then distributing them to mostly laptop users who often make their own changes and send those back to me...

It has worked out just fine.

Numbers is a whole different story though as it's still missing the ability to export to Excel. Luckily I'm not generating or editing spreadsheets at the moment.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote