Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
LibraryGoddess
LibraryGoddess is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony reader 505
505 vs 700 problems

I have a 505 that I bought for a 6 month tour of the Far East. It worked for 2 months and now is a brick. I tried all the trouble shooting, charging, resetting ideas from this forum and Sony customer service. I return to the States in a week and will send it with my receipt for service. However, we are then going to Europe for 6 months. I need a machine that will work. Does the 700 have the same problem? Of course, Sony says there is no problem.
LibraryGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I don't see what "the problem" is.

I've had mine for well over a year and spend 3 hours a day on the tube and trains which is and have had no problems with it whatsoever. There are many others on this board who have had their longer and do similar commutes. (Which I am using to indicate that they travel a fair bit in crowded conditions)

It's a shame that you appear to have had a faulty unit, but it does happen sometimes with every hi-tech device. It's not something specific to the 505 or everyone would be complaining which simply isn't happening.

Last edited by Riocaz; 02-25-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryGoddess View Post
I have a 505 that I bought for a 6 month tour of the Far East. It worked for 2 months and now is a brick. I tried all the trouble shooting, charging, resetting ideas from this forum and Sony customer service. I return to the States in a week and will send it with my receipt for service. However, we are then going to Europe for 6 months. I need a machine that will work. Does the 700 have the same problem? Of course, Sony says there is no problem.
You appear to be suggesting that every PRS-505 "dies". This is certainly not the case, and there is no reason to suppose that, if you buy a PRS-700, it is any more likely to suffer problems that anyone else's is. If you read this forum, you will see that very, very few people experience problems of the type you describe - you've just been unlucky.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
spec2
Enthusiast
spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
If the 505 were as flaky as you suggest this forum wouldn't be full of happy people. Unfortunately you got a lemon unit. That happens sometimes with electronics, but it is not a good indication of the product reliability as a whole. There are no "wholesale" product issues with the 505 that I'm aware of. Certainly my 1+ year old unit has always been problem-free.

I'm sure once they fix your 505 it will work fine for a long time. I wouldn't run out and buy a new model unless you really want one. Also the 700's screen is one of those "love it or hate it" things, so don't buy it unseen.
spec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The blue 505 readers seem to be the most dependable

Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Is that an official statistic ervserver? Or one based on personal experience/opinion?

(Just wodnering as I have a blue one :-))
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
My silver one has been very reliable so far--even suffering a spill out of my purse onto the pavement as I was getting into a taxi cab .

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
My blue 505 has never fallen out of my purse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
My silver one has been very reliable so far--even suffering a spill out of my purse onto the pavement as I was getting into a taxi cab .

dordale
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
My blue 505 has never fallen out of my purse
Good point! Maybe the blue one is more stable!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryGoddess View Post
I've looked at every one of your posts and you appear to have some kind of problem with your unit. Take it back, get a refund, and then buy a new one.

Most people do NOT have these ongoing problems that you're having.

It's unfortunate that you ARE having problems, but you're a statistical minority.

Get one that works and you're going to have a lot of fun.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz View Post
Is that an official statistic ervserver? Or one based on personal experience/opinion?

(Just wodnering as I have a blue one :-))
It's one based on pulling people's leg ;-)
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #12
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I have found that blue ones are bouncier when they hit the carpet like mine did
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:08 AM   #13
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Wow six months in the far east and then six months in europe? Lucky

Personally, I would probably stick with the 505. Just get it replaced under warranty (hopefully for free), and give it another go. You might want to invest in a good, protective cover for it. The one it comes with does absolutely nothing to keep out dust and moisture. Something with a tighter seal and maybe some padding would probably be a better choice for the rigors of travel.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote