Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle
Kindle Touch Performance

Hi,

With the Touch due out at the end of the month in the UK I am thinking about upgrading from my Kindle 3 (3G model) to the Touch 3G, but after looking at some reviews online, I have seen several stating that it it noticably slower than the 3rd Gen model, can anyone tell me how they find it.

My main reason for upgrading will be performance as I have found after having a couple of hundred books on the deive it has got very slow (wouls really like it Amazon have done something to improve the speed that search can take!) and am looking to resolve this issue, so if the Touch is slower then it will not be for me

Thanks,

Gavin,
gavinjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I have the Keyboard 3G and grom what I have read the Touch does not perform any better than the older model. The upgrades are the touch screen and the cosmetics.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the quick reply, thats a shame, I have also been considering the Kobo so I think I will need to go and play with one in my local WH Smith and see what the performance is like!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinjb View Post
My main reason for upgrading will be performance as I have found after having a couple of hundred books on the deive it has got very slow (wouls really like it Amazon have done something to improve the speed that search can take!) and am looking to resolve this issue, so if the Touch is slower then it will not be for me
A couple of hundred books shouldn't slow down your Kindle. You might want to try a factory reset and reloading the books a few at a time, it's likely a corrupted file is causing you problems.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
gavinjb
Connoisseur

Thanks, I just found something on Amazon Kindle's Forum about this problem and mention about deleting the index and forcing the device to rebuild it, has anyone done this and is it safe and how would you do it? Thanks,
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinjb View Post
Thanks, I just found something on Amazon Kindle's Forum about this problem and mention about deleting the index and forcing the device to rebuild it, has anyone done this and is it safe and how would you do it? Thanks,
I've done this several times and yes it is safe. It also speeds things up. I delete all the files in the \system\search index\ folder. Though if you have a lot of books on your device it is best to leave it plugged in for several hours while it re-indexes.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
gavinjb
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I've done this several times and yes it is safe. It also speeds things up. I delete all the files in the \system\search index\ folder. Though if you have a lot of books on your device it is best to leave it plugged in for several hours while it re-indexes.
Thanks, I have just deleted all the items and will leave to re-index, is there meant to be a file for each book do you know as there are more items in here than books on the device (if so it looks like it might not have always deleted the search item and could be what is causing my problems!)

Also do you know how you can tell when it has finished indexing it?

Thanks,

Gavin,
Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Or you can do a search using a bogus steram of letters and find which books are having trouble indexing. Delete those books and add them back.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
In my opinion, Touch is faster then Kindle Keyboard. Speedier in startup, search and page flip. The best experience is for page refresh not on every page turn.
If you have more time, you can consider for new Amazon Kindle with built in light, I read it on engadget.com several days ago:

It says:
Illuminated Kindle e-readers could arrive this year, also, might not

By James Trew posted Apr 7th 2012 at 9:17AM
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
The Touch and the KK are similar in speed, however the kindle 4 non-touch version blows them out of the water in performance (loading times, page turns, searches).

The only reason I kept my touch model over the non-touch is the larger storage space. The touch has 4 GB while the non-touch only has 2 GB.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Absolutely not slower in my experience. I currently have 750 books on my Touch; performance is absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
The Touch and the KK are similar in speed, however the kindle 4 non-touch version blows them out of the water in performance (loading times, page turns, searches).

The only reason I kept my touch model over the non-touch is the larger storage space. The touch has 4 GB while the non-touch only has 2 GB.
I had the KK, then the K4 non-touch and now the Touch......i definitely didn't notice the non-touch blowing the others away in performance.

I think they are all pretty close but the new ones have the advantage on page turns of not doing the complete screen refresh (if you so desire).
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote