Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Bowman
Bowman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Problem with adding .mobi files

Hey all,
I'm trying to load my very large library of .mobi books (1000+) from my computer to the Fire. I used Calibre to upload them. I've used my computer to explore the kindle's documents folder and everything appears to be right. But the kindle doesn't seem to be able to handle it. I've turned the kindle on and off, etc. But no matter what, I have the same 2 problems: A) it isn't displaying all of the books and B) for those that have loaded, it's displaying a gray rectangle rather than the cover and when I select the book, it zooms in on the cover, then returns me to the docs screen. As if it's beginning the process of showing the book, then aborting. Anyone have any ideas about what I might have done wrong? Or is the kindle just not able to support such a large document library?
Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I would guess it is trying to index all the books, why not add them in smaller chunks?
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
famousboot
famousboot began at the beginning.

I've seen this posted, to get mobi books to show up in the Carousel:

"To get sideloaded books to show up in the carousel you need to remove the pdoc tag from the mobi book."

So far the mobi files I've run across have readily shown up though, no pdoc tag removal necessary.
famousboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by famousboot View Post
"To get sideloaded books to show up in the carousel you need to remove the pdoc tag from the mobi book."
For some of my books I also had to add the ebok tag in place of the pdoc tag or they wouldn't show under books.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
ratkity
Enthusiast
ratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five words

Device: Old Sony, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
Once you replace the pdoc tag, you have to reconvert to mobi. Yes, do a mobi > mobi. THEN, and this is important, go in Calibre and remove the oldmobi files and any other file types except the mobi you just made. There's a great batch command to do this to all 1000 books after you select them all (alt-a).

Some of my books were old old converts from various formats. I just used Calibre to create a cover for it when I couldn't find one online (especially for old, unpopular books).

Good luck!

Hugs,
Ratkity
ratkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Bowman
Bowman began at the beginning.

Thanks! Trying the pdoc replace fix now. Hopefully it works
Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
All of my converted .mobi books contain the [PDOC] tag and they all display normally on the bookshelf AND the carousel.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
I would guess it is trying to index all the books, why not add them in smaller chunks?
The Kindle Fire does not index books like a Eink Kindle.

It's possible there is a limit on how many books the Fire can handle. You could try a factory reset and adding them in smaller chunks like the Poster quoted said. It could be choking for other reasons or it could be a limit.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I know in the storage specs they state you can fit 6,000 books on the fire (assuming that was all you put on it) so I'm sure it's able to handle a large amount. I would do as Shack and Blossom said and try putting them on in smaller packs. Good luck.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #10
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
One thing i read recently as a tip for having books show up is to make sure there is no spaces in the filename.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
One thing i read recently as a tip for having books show up is to make sure there is no spaces in the filename.
That isn't necessary on the Kindles. All my books have filenames like this.

Author - [Series 01] - Title.mobi

They show up fine on my K3, K4 and Kindle Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Does anyone know how to remove the [PDOC] tag without having to re convert it?
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
frankz
frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frankz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

You can use the mobi2mobi gui to edit that specific exth entry (change 501 CDEContentType from PDOC to EBOK)

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...oks_on_Windows
frankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
For some of my books I also had to add the ebok tag in place of the pdoc tag or they wouldn't show under books.
How do you do that?

Also, if I convert from ePub to Mobi using Calibre, is there any issue?

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-28-2011 at 06:45 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankz View Post
You can use the mobi2mobi gui to edit that specific exth entry (change 501 CDEContentType from PDOC to EBOK)

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...oks_on_Windows
Thanks, I'll check it out.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote