Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 AM   #1
convexdezign
convexdezign began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab
Increase Performance of Edit/Assign to Tags

Hi,
is there any way to increase the Perfomance on Editing, Renaming, Sorting and Assigning to Tags?
I have over 40K Dokuments in Calibre. The DB File is 28MB.
The VirusScan is turned of. OP is WinXP 32Bit on 64Bit DualCore.
Editing one Book takes 10 Seconds. Assigning 10 Books to a Tag takes 20-25 Seconds.

Is there any Idea to Speed up?

greeting from germany
Jens
convexdezign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Is your database on a local drive or on the Network or external USB drive?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
convexdezign

Local drive ESataII.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
convexdezign

Can i seperate the Database-file from the rest of the FileStructure?
Like putting the DB-File on an SSD?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:05 AM   #5
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hide the tag browser if you don't already. I find that it is the recalculation of that and sorting which cause the lag, not the writing to the database itself.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
convexdezign

@kiwidude: Ok. Thanks. I will try this.

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #7
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by convexdezign View Post
@kiwidude: Ok. Thanks. I will try this.

Any other suggestions?
Split your database. Maybe only temporarily while you fix up your metadata if there isn't a natural useful split in the types of books you have. Calibre with a small database is like night and day versus calibre with a large database. Use copy to library to move the books between databases to then edit them in the smaller one.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #8
convexdezign

OK. I'll try this this evening.
Thanks.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
convexdezign

Ok. I tried to hide the Tag-Browser. But it doesnt bring much more speed.

2 Seconds to Open the Edit-Window.
7 Second to write back a Single Edit.
17 Seconds to multiEdit 3 books and assign a tag.
5 Seconds to delete a book.
:-/

Now i backup the library and try to split into 2 or more libraries. Perhaps it will be faster then.

I think it is the number of Book wich decreases the performance so much.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
Also do the following:

On the library menu, say Check library.
This will compact your db.

(Do this often if you change your db-info regular)
A lot of extra info is kept in the db also when it is removed from your library. This is not a calibre bug, it is a performance-boost option for this type of db. You do not have to remove info from the db so it is fast. But if you change a lot of info, your trash-data becomes bigger and that will cause loss of performance in time.
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote