Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 06-18-2006, 12:11 AM   #1
honico
Hiebook nerdo
honico began at the beginning.

Device: Hiebook
Hiebook emOS -anyone have updates past 3.2.0.9?

Yo
I've hosed my Godspeed (Hiebook) trying a eSmartlab version of the emOS. It would have gotten me ver.3.6.0 -but, due to my...ignorance... of screen/hardware differences it's instead hosed.
Have resurected a mobo from my old (broken screen) Godspeed, but it's got the old 3.2.0.9 and I would like the 3.2.0.12 (Which will take new dictionaries).
The marraige will be ideal if I can find the loader for the .12 or later.

Anyone...anyone...?

-honico
//

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-09-2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Corrected the header - Dr. Drib
honico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Was browsing old posts and saw this. Try this place:

http://support.ebible.com/index.php?...5&pcid=0&nav=0

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
satcom123
Hiereader
satcom123 began at the beginning.

Hiebook connect problems

I have an Hiebook just bought off ebay. It has several books on it. problem is that the windows xp doesn't recognize the device. Or am I doing something wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I went to ebible.com, downloaded all their software for hiebook, extracted the zip files but thats as far as I can get. When I connect the hiebook to my computer using the USB cable I get the balloon message that says "there is a problem with connecting possible problem with device. Or not working".
I thought maybe I needed a driver for it so I go one finally from Driverguide.com. Problem is that the file came in as "txt" in a notepad. Now I am exasperated Can't seem to link that stuff so my operating sys can use it. So this is turning out to be a frustrating thing. All I want to do is read on a device that has good resolution and back light. I guess I could just resell it back on ebay
Any help my way would be appreciated.

Last edited by satcom123; 05-25-2007 at 09:40 AM. Reason: More updated info
satcom123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #4
honico
Hiebook nerdo

Hibook Software can be had...

-And I can help you w/ that.

I'm probably the biggest hoarder of all-things-hiebook. I've figured out a cheap replacement battery, added line-in jacks and perfected the USB-charge modification etc. I also have your driver...

email me
I'm honico at hotmail dot com, I'll reply with a zip file. Or, if you're on dial-up, I can send a CD. We can work it out.

Welcome to the Hiebook club.

Cheers!

honico
//
Old 05-26-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
honico
Hiebook nerdo

PS: -imaredr's post (above) may not seem related, be he also knows the Godspeed is just a rebranded Hibook 210. Follow his link, find <Godspeed eBible Desktop Application Package> and download/install. It'll install a working driver and all the other apps i.e. a reader for the .kml format books, a sync and download applet, too.

The Download and Sync applets are what your XP sys needs to recognise the book. The hiebook isn't DOS -or Windows, but "EmOS" ...long story... The memory card is Smartmedia -out of production and sorta spendy. But, on Ebay you can get a Smartmedia-to-xD convertor (which includes 128MB) -for less that $20 delivered. More memory then is the xD, at 10~15 / 128MB; a cheaper proposition.

I think you'll like the book -pretty reliable, and, once you pull stuff to .txt or .htm you can then pull it to the book. No longer does .doc reading work; unless you're running Office '97 or older... Convert all your books to HTML and you can't go wrong.... Anymore, I use a Firefox plug-in that will edit pages (or books) I find on the web. That way no other program is needed to ready them to be loaded.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
satcom123
Hiereader

Hiebook driver and things

Honico, Thanks for your speedy reply. This driver should allow my computer to recognize my hiebook device.
You had mentioned that you need a hiebook usb cable. Are those pinned out differently than run of the mill usb cables?
For your info. the hiebook I got looked like it was hardly used. Not a scratch on it. It does have the orriginal software version of 2.1.0, the leather carrying case with a usb cable. No CD or manual.
Thank you for your help. Will keep in touch.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
satcom123
Hiereader

Hiebook driver

Thank you for sending me the driver and Bible. No go on the detecting the device though. Came up with balloon saying hardware problem check device. I tried deleting the usb driver and reloading it but still the same problem.
I might have a problem maybe with the usb cable. The windows xp computer I have is 2.0 USB. I hope its backwards compatible to the 1.0.

I did remove the cover to the Hiebook to inspect for any cracked solder joints and such. No problems there. I did notice that there is a 3V battery inside. Its a button type. I measured the voltage. It is 2.9vdc. The only way to replace it is desoldering it. I can't believe they arc soldered the battery in. Top and bottom.
I didn't want to go any further and put it all back together. I am an electronic tech by trade so doing this does not scare me.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honico
PS: The memory card is Smartmedia -out of production and sorta spendy. But, on Ebay you can get a Smartmedia-to-xD convertor (which includes 128MB) -for less that $20 delivered. More memory then is the xD, at 10~15 / 128MB; a cheaper proposition.

Hornico,

Have you tried using the adapter? I have one and tried it with my REB1100 and almost grided it out. I have been reluctant to try it again with any other device. It would be nice if it worked with the Hiebook eventhough the adapter sticks oiut. If you can, could you post a pic of your adapter? They are probably all the same though.

Also is the Yahoo! group for Hiebook still active? I guess everyone is moving on, but I still like to use my Hiebook every now and then.

Ellen
Old 06-02-2007, 06:07 AM   #9
honico
Hiebook nerdo

Hiebook Meory on the Cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr
Honico,

Have you tried using the adapter? ...snip...
Also is the Yahoo! group for Hiebook still active? I guess everyone is moving on, but I still like to use my Hiebook every now and then.

Ellen
Hello Ellen,

The Yahoo! group! is! gone! (I crack me up.) -Many of us still swap books and stuff but the rest is history. I have tried -and use- the adapter for the memory. Here's a link to a typical one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/XD-TO-SMARTMEDIA...mZ320122055970

The small caveat is mechanical; the adapter is made up of 2-parts: the main SM-card and a little plastic box-like cover that makes up the...well...is where little xD memory pushes in. See the picture in the link...

So this little...dog house...if removed, allows the card to slide all the way in. If left on, the edge of it hits the Hiebooks' edge, and won't work. I wonder if this was also a problem with your experiment? I popped the little cover off, then used a sander to grind off the offending corner. Also, I made a slot (in the black leatherette book cover) to allow the card to be used while encased. savvy? It all works fine and landing cost was...hmmm...$17-ish.

Cheers!

honico
//
Old 06-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
godspeed
godspeed began at the beginning.

Device: GEB210/Hiebook
I guess there still is a following for these devices. I was just sorting through some company stuff here the other day and found a bunch of devices and accessories. If you need anything, let me know. I've put the more common stuff up on our storefront. Some other stuff like boards, cases, etc, I might be able to dig up as well, if I look hard enough.

James
godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
imaredr
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by godspeed View Post
I guess there still is a following for these devices. I was just sorting through some company stuff here the other day and found a bunch of devices and accessories. If you need anything, let me know. I've put the more common stuff up on our storefront. Some other stuff like boards, cases, etc, I might be able to dig up as well, if I look hard enough.

James
Can I get a link for the storefront? Thanks

Ellen
Old 06-09-2007, 02:14 AM   #12
honico
Hiebook nerdo

In need of your remnants...

Quote:
I guess there still is a following for these devices. ....I might be able to dig up as well, if I look hard enough.
James
James -I'd be very interested in any bits you may have. I've several in various stages of repair; needing boards (scrambled-BIOS), cracked-LCDs etc. Some have broken sockets. I see, for repair, a half-dozen a year from around the world. These are a great device with just a little modification & I really enjoy helping out. So, add Ellen & I to the list of takers-of-cast-aways.

;-)

honico
//
Old 06-09-2007, 02:34 AM   #13
godspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
Can I get a link for the storefront? Thanks

Ellen
Sure the store is http://www.ebiblepda.com, the section that relates to the hiebook/Godspeed eBibles is: http://www.ebiblepda.com/page/EB4P/CTGY/GED

James
Old 06-09-2007, 02:39 AM   #14
godspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by honico View Post
James -I'd be very interested in any bits you may have. I've several in various stages of repair; needing boards (scrambled-BIOS), cracked-LCDs etc. Some have broken sockets. I see, for repair, a half-dozen a year from around the world. These are a great device with just a little modification & I really enjoy helping out. So, add Ellen & I to the list of takers-of-cast-aways.

;-)

honico
//
Hi Honico, I've got some of everything. About 8 or so new devices, lots of chargers, USB cables, not too many batteries. Outside of that, I've got lots boards and screens. I'm not sure exactly how many of what, but a decent number that we have raided for parts over time. Let me know what you need/want and I'll see what we I can dig up. you can reach me direct via email at james --at-- godspeedcomputing --dot-- com

James
Old 06-09-2007, 03:00 AM   #15
honico
Hiebook nerdo

On parts and country-codes...

Quote:
Hi Honico, I've got some of everything...
James
Thanks, James for the link; am supposing you're "j27lee' on ebay-canada? Only just now made the connection of my early bid for your 210-reader, Canada, and such.

honico
//