Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Once you have your own domain, you can use gmail to host it. Their spam fighting is the best I have found. By far. I used to run my own mail severs but really it is a big headache and very little benefit. I sill have my own domain, my email address has not changed in over a decade, but gmail handles the mail for my domains.

http://www.google.com/enterprise/app...cts.html#gmail

Not free, but for me it was worth it. I have 2-factor auth set up with it, and etc. All with almost no work on my end.
Thanks Vyodr. That sounds perfect for me. Esp. since I've been pretty impressed with gmail so far. Could you tell me roughly how much they charge a month? And what a "2-factor auth" is? Thanks a lot for the info.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
Thanks Vyodr. That sounds perfect for me. Esp. since I've been pretty impressed with gmail so far. Could you tell me roughly how much they charge a month? And what a "2-factor auth" is? Thanks a lot for the info.
2 Factor Authentication is a security feature that everyone should be using on their primary email. What it means is that even if your password is compromised, an attacker still can not access your email. Since most banks/etc let you use an email address to gain access to your account, you need to protect your email even better then you protect other accounts. It is the hub from which you can rebuild from in the event of the major breaches we hear about.

Here is some information: http://support.google.com/accounts/b...4118&ctx=topic

As for cost... not sure, I sign up years ago so I do not know their current price mode. Perhaps this page will help:

http://www.google.com/enterprise/app...s/pricing.html

I suggest you keep ownership of your domain completely separate from any other service. So if you buy web/email from company A, buy your domain from company B. That just protects you in the event that your relationship sours with company A. For example I have my email with Google, my web servers with Amazon and my domain names with Direct Nic.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 AM   #18
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I use several gmail accounts for personal mail, and several domains and the web host's mail handling services for my writing business.

Some years ago, I mixed personal and business mail on Yahoo's domains, but I didn't care for that arrangement. Part of that was Yahoo's fault.

But anyway, I like separate better.

Last edited by frahse; 02-18-2013 at 03:01 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #19
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
As for cost... not sure, I sign up years ago so I do not know their current price mode. Perhaps this page will help:

The pricing link is for Google business apps. Do they not charge separately for domain hosting?

1and1 (www.1and1.com), which is where I host my domains (36 of them), has packages as low as $5 a month with intro offers even less. 1and1 is also a domain registrar, so it is easy to obtain new domain names, cancel unwanted ones, and renew those I want to keep.

The problem with greggbell .com is that most people will type gregbell rather than greggbell. Why not try to come up with something a bit more user friendly and that is available in multiple domains (.com, .net, etc.) and buy the various domains to keep others away.

The other thing to do is to be sure you also register logical variations on the name, by which I mean the names consumers might type to access your domain. For example, for my wordsnSync domains, I have wordsnsync and wordsinsync and I have the .com, .net., .org, and .us domains.

The expense is minimal (unless you go crazy like I did and have an excess of domains) but does act as protection.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
The problem with greggbell .com is that most people will type gregbell rather than greggbell. Why not try to come up with something a bit more user friendly and that is available in multiple domains (.com, .net, etc.) and buy the various domains to keep others away.
You raise a very important point, and one which I was about to mention myself. Having a domain which is a common mis-spelling of another popular domain can be a nightmare. The domain I use for my software business is the normal spelling of a word that's "artistically mis-spelt" by a web design company that hosts the domain of what I believe is a popular music ensemble in the United States. I get a LOT of misdirected e-mail aimed at this music group as a result, and it's a real nuisance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Gregg, pick a brand for yourself, even if you can't get get greggbell.com specifically. Consider GreggTheAuthor.com or BellBooks.com, or bearstardiode.com (whatever that is??) or similar. But makes sure it's something you can live with. Domains are cheap. You can have several. But best to pick one and only one to use for email and NEVER CHANGE IT AGAIN. ('til Internet 2.0, anyway.) Then you can point or forward that domain to virtually any email system that you want.
As far as the email service itself goes, I've been very happy with Gmail. I'm on the no-longer-available free Google Apps package, but I like it enough that I'd probably start paying if forced to, rather than switching.
Don't tell them I said that.

ApK

p.s. What I mean by "never change it" is pick one that you want to use for email and try not confuse people by doing "change of addresses." You can have several domains, and they can all route email to the same place, so even if you temporarily started using greggbell.net, and changed all your social sites, etc, you could eventually start using your ideal domain when you get it, but ALSO keep greggbell.net working, so you while the new address is on your website, book jackets, etc, the old address still works, too, and you don't have to notify anyone of the change unless you just feel like it.

Last edited by ApK; 02-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #22
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
2 Factor Authentication is a security feature that everyone should be using on their primary email. What it means is that even if your password is compromised, an attacker still can not access your email. Since most banks/etc let you use an email address to gain access to your account, you need to protect your email even better then you protect other accounts. It is the hub from which you can rebuild from in the event of the major breaches we hear about.

Here is some information: http://support.google.com/accounts/b...4118&ctx=topic

I suggest you keep ownership of your domain completely separate from any other service. So if you buy web/email from company A, buy your domain from company B. That just protects you in the event that your relationship sours with company A. For example I have my email with Google, my web servers with Amazon and my domain names with Direct Nic.
Thanks, Vydor, for all the really helpful stuff. I looked at the links. It seems like quite the hassle, but I'm sure it'll pay off down the road (in a lack of hassles). Thanks.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I use several gmail accounts for personal mail, and several domains and the web host's mail handling services for my writing business.

Some years ago, I mixed personal and business mail on Yahoo's domains, but I didn't care for that arrangement. Part of that was Yahoo's fault.

But anyway, I like separate better.
Thanks, frahse. Yeah, I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible. Man, there's just so many options. I appreciate the input.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #24
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
The pricing link is for Google business apps. Do they not charge separately for domain hosting?

1and1 (www.1and1.com), which is where I host my domains (36 of them), has packages as low as $5 a month with intro offers even less. 1and1 is also a domain registrar, so it is easy to obtain new domain names, cancel unwanted ones, and renew those I want to keep.

The other thing to do is to be sure you also register logical variations on the name, by which I mean the names consumers might type to access your domain. For example, for my wordsnSync domains, I have wordsnsync and wordsinsync and I have the .com, .net., .org, and .us domains.

The expense is minimal (unless you go crazy like I did and have an excess of domains) but does act as protection.
I thought about the similar names things. GregoryBell.com was taken. GregBell.com. I've got GreggBell.net but have been holding out for GreggBell.com. I thought GreggBell.com (considering the circumstances) was about as user-friendly as I could get.

And thanks for the 1+1 advice. I checked them out a while back, along with GoDaddy. Good to know you're having a good experience with them. I really appreciate the input. Thank you.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #25
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

That's good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Gregg, pick a brand for yourself, even if you can't get get greggbell.com specifically. Consider GreggTheAuthor.com or BellBooks.com, or bearstardiode.com (whatever that is??) or similar. But makes sure it's something you can live with. Domains are cheap. You can have several. But best to pick one and only one to use for email and NEVER CHANGE IT AGAIN. ('til Internet 2.0, anyway.) Then you can point or forward that domain to virtually any email system that you want.
As far as the email service itself goes, I've been very happy with Gmail. I'm on the no-longer-available free Google Apps package, but I like it enough that I'd probably start paying if forced to, rather than switching.
Don't tell them I said that.

ApK

p.s. What I mean by "never change it" is pick one that you want to use for email and try not confuse people by doing "change of addresses." You can have several domains, and they can all route email to the same place, so even if you temporarily started using greggbell.net, and changed all your social sites, etc, you could eventually start using your ideal domain when you get it, but ALSO keep greggbell.net working, so you while the new address is on your website, book jackets, etc, the old address still works, too, and you don't have to notify anyone of the change unless you just feel like it.
Thanks ApK. Yeah, you got me checking BellBooks.com (taken). (But I'm sure Bearstardiode.com is available. {Talk about user-friendly!}) I've seen where if somebody is looking for somebody like me and they type GregBell.com into a search engine, the engine comes back with 'Did you mean GreggBell.com?' Now I'm sure that's for really famous people and all, but I guess I am kind of grounded (stuck?) in the thinking that your name.com is the way to go. But I will definitely check out other domain names and see what I come up with. Awesome to know I can started with GreggBell.net and then switch gears if I come up with something better. Really appreciate the advice. Thanks a lot.