Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 08-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
chedstog
chedstog doesn't litterchedstog doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
removing DRM

Sorry for my ignorance, but can someone explain in laymans terms how to remove DRM from PDF's please? and
chedstog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hello again Chedstog. There are instructions on DRM removal all over the net. But, no matter how justified most of us feel it to be, the practice is illegal and we cannot discuss it here. And I for one, I'm afraid, will not even do so privately.

My wee house is strongly opposed to DRM padlocks. And if an errant third party retailer imposes it by ignoring our demand we have a DRM-free guarantee on our site's store section front page that promises a DRM-free version as an immediate replacement without charge. We ask for no proof of sale or any messing around like that, but we would appreciate knowing the errant store so that we can, if necessary, withdraw our catalogue from it.

Bottom line: Do not buy a DRM ebook.

Luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Hello again Chedstog. There are instructions on DRM removal all over the net. But, no matter how justified most of us feel it to be, the practice is illegal
We've had this discussion many times and you should know better then to state that stripping DRM is illegal. It's not always illegal. It may be in France, but it's a gray issue in the US. And until it's illegal world wide, don't go saying it's illegal as it is and it isn't. That just confuses the matter and makes others think it is when it very well may not be. Now it would be OK to say that stripping DRM is illegal where the OP lives. But to just say it's illegal is wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The best single source for DRM issues is Apprentice Alf's Blog.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We've had this discussion many times and you should know better then to state that stripping DRM is illegal. It's not always illegal. It may be in France, but it's a gray issue in the US. And until it's illegal world wide, don't go saying it's illegal as it is and it isn't. That just confuses the matter and makes others think it is when it very well may not be. Now it would be OK to say that stripping DRM is illegal where the OP lives. But to just say it's illegal is wrong.
It is illegal to discuss the removal of DRM with explicit instructions on this site in any event. To do so could cause the ISP to remove the site entirely. General discussions are ok, but not what the original poster requested.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Maybe, JS. But the discussion of DRM removal is an 'official' MobileRead taboo according to the forum managers and mods. They have decided that the grey area you mention doesn't justify open encouragement of something that is strictly illegal in many, many countries -- and we are an international community remember. I don't necessarily agree with their decision, but it is theirs to make, so I try always to play by the rules. Point taken, though, no hard feelings, and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Maybe, JS. But the discussion of DRM removal is an 'official' MobileRead taboo according to the forum managers and mods. They have decided that the grey area you mention doesn't justify open encouragement of something that is strictly illegal in many, many countries -- and we are an international community remember. I don't necessarily agree with their decision, but it is theirs to make, so I try always to play by the rules. Point taken, though, no hard feelings, and best wishes. Neil
Well it is our decision not to get shut down. We received a take down notice per the US law from Amazon and chose to obey it rather than getting shut down. Before the notice we allowed more than we can now, although we never advocated or permitted discussions favoring piracy.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
chedstog
chedstog doesn't litterchedstog doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
apologies, I seem to have hit a raw nerve here - all I wanted to do was to be able to read a pdf on my reader without it going crazy.

I withdraw my request for information as my phrasing seems to be incorrect in my noviceness.
chedstog is offline   Reply With Quote