Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
yaip
yaip began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converting to .mobi

I am using some non-standard fonts in my docx file for Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, etc. (which use Mangal, etc. fonts). When I convert my document to .mobi format, they show as ???. When I contacted Kindle support, they said that Kindle doesn't support these fonts. Other than converting them into images, what other solution do I have?

I tried PDF to .mobi but that doesn't work.
yaip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If your document has to be Mobipocket, you just can't do it. But you can do it as ePub if you are not tied to Mobipocket. With ePub, you can embed those fonts and it will work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
The MOBI format does not support embedded fonts. Only the device's or application's own fonts are used. If the needed glyph is not available in those fonts then you're out of luck.

A properly built PDF (very small margins, proper text size relative to the chosen page size, ...) is the only real option, but then only if you are building a personal document. You loose reflow and user choice of text size so you must build the document for a specific target device so its not practical for general distribution where the file will be used on devices with a wide range of display sizes.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
yaip
yaip began at the beginning.

Device: none
The ePub format is fine. I can read in iPad, Calibre, etc. It's only Kindle that gives me problems.
yaip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to correct subforum.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote