codemac
codemac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Question IOError errno 5?

Code:
(5, 'Input/output error')

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 57, in run
    self.result = self.func(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 224, in _upload_books
    metadata=metadata, end_session=False)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/prs505/driver.py", line 126, in upload_books
    self.put_file(infile, paths[-1], replace_file=True)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/usbms/cli.py", line 61, in put_file
    shutil.copyfileobj(infile, dest)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/shutil.py", line 30, in copyfileobj
    fdst.write(buf)
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error
This is the error I get when I try to upload anything to my new PRS600. This is using version 0.6.19 of Calibre. If anyone has had the same problem or has any tips, I'd appreciate it!
codemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
An I/O error indicates calibre is not able to write files to the device. If you are transferring to a storage card,try a different one. If to the main memory, can you transfer files using windows explorer?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
codemac

Sorry, it was late last night, and I apparently was too tired to leave a decent description of what was happening. Calibre manages to write _some_ of the ebook to the ereader. Generally it gets anywhere from 1 corrupted page up to about 40 pages and the 40th is corrupted.

I am on linux, so I mounted each drive the prs600 makes available, and I can write to everything except the fake cd drive it provides that has sony reader software on it (this being that it is a read-only device).
Old 10-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That would indicate a problem with your reader. calibre just uses standard file system calls to copy files to the reader drives.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
codemac

How, if I can write to the device just by mounting it and writing to it with "cat > blah"... why can't calibre? They are using the same system calls I would assume.
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah calibre just uses fopen and write

One thing to check is with what options is the device being mounted
Old 10-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
codemac

Aha!

Ok, I figured out what I was doing wrong. Because I still put all my mounts in /mnt (I'm old school like that), I didn't notice that Calibre was mounting my reader over in /media/${NAME OF READER}. So there were these stale mount points that Calibre was trying to write to, and the device was mounted multiple times, and all sorts of shenanigans. Since I was testing the device on just the _latest_ mount point, the file descriptor still worked, wheras with the other mounts it was kinda best guess as to linux's behavior.

Once I unmounted all the stale mount points, and started anew, the writes went through just fine

My problem really was that when I hit "Quit" on Calibre, I just assumed it would be unmounting the device. I guess that assumption is wrong. If I didn't want it to unmount it, I probably would have just kept it in the tray though? This behavior was non-obvious to me, but I could just be naive.

Thanks for your amazingly prompt responses, and thanks for calibre
Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre does not automatically unmount the device unless you click the eject button or unplug the device.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
codemac

If you quit calibre, then unplug the device, it wont get unmounted.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah I'm not going to write a systemservice that runs in the background to mount/unmount devices. That is the OSes job. The fact that linux has totally messed up USB device management is unfortunate, but not a problem that individual app writers should have to solve.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
codemac

I would agree with you completely except that you do automatically mount the device, you just don't automatically unmount the device. So for me it would be easier if it was that neither automatic or both automatic. But whatevs, I know what the behavior is now, so it doesn't really matter.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

After detecting the device calibre waits to see if the OS auto mounts it, only if it doesn't will calibre mount it.