Have one but don't often use it because I prefer a lamp 2 1.77%
Have one but don't often use it because it hurts my eyes 2 1.77%
Have one but don't often use it because of color or light unevenness 0 0%
Other or combination of above 9 7.96%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
To read in the dark or under dim lighting.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #17
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
but being weak of will I succumbed to the scared rabbit look in her eyes and let her in. The big drawback to video cams I guess.
Novice mistake. When dealing with demons, never look them in the eye!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
BWinmill
Nameless Being

When I had one, I used it for reading in the dark. That ereader's dead, so I'm now using an unlit reader. I miss the light slightly, but not enough to pay for a reader with a light. Lamps and other sources of light work just as well after all. They're just slightly less convenient.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #19
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
To read in the dark or under (very) dim lighting.

I read mostly at night in bed in complete darkness, or in almost darkness in front of the TV. I have also used it to find things on my bedside table at night, because I have it on a very low light setting, so it does not blind me in the dark.

Like some others here, I never turn it off, even when I read during the day.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #20
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Off by default, i switch it on when my eye says "Hey, need more light".

I don't read in dark / really low light unless forced into it. (That is, no lamp i can switch on.)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #21
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Definitely only to read in the dark. During day time I'd prefer to switch it off.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #22
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I only use mine in the dark and in dim light, though late afternoons can already be dim! I'd say I use the front light about 70% of the time I read on the device.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #23
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
My front porch light has a 'mother detector'....similar to a motion detector however this one turns the light off when it detects my mother!
Can it distinguish between a mother and a mother-in-law??

I got my front-lit reader for reading in dim lighting and also to read when I wake up in the middle of the night and don't want to wake my husband. I keep it on 4 or 5 and I do appreciate that it makes the page whiter. In complete darkness I turn it down to 1.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #24
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
It's partly to read in dim/dark light (partly to not need the lamp on, for partner disturbance reasons, and partly for comfort as a spot-lamp directly on a non-lit screen gives suboptimal results), and partly to improve contrast in medium light. That's not so that the screen will appear "whiter" for aesthetic reasons; it's about readability.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #25
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Can it distinguish between a mother and a mother-in-law??
eP
More expensive model.......
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
greenasterisk
Enthusiast
greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I don't use it. Worried of it screwing my eyes. Even if they say front lit ones have no glare, try switching on one in a perfectly dark room. There will be glare.
greenasterisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #27
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
The main use is: "To make the pages appear whiter".
The secondary use is: "To read in the dark or under dim light". In my case, this would be to make reading in dim light easier. I normally don't read (using the Paperwhite) in lighting where I would be unable to read a normal book.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-07-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #28
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
For reading in the dark or dim light, usually in bed at night, as I need to read for a while before I can sleep and wind down.

Oh, I also use it as a sort of torch when going to bed, so I don't have to turn the bedroom light on and wake up my wife.. lol.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The main purpose of the built in front light is to be able to read no matter what the surrounding light conditions without needing to find a sunny spot or a suitable reading light, but it's also great for finding the way to the bathroom in the dark.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #30
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The main purpose of the built in front light is to be able to read no matter what the surrounding light conditions without needing to find a sunny spot or a suitable reading light, but it's also great for finding the way to the bathroom in the dark.
Couldn't say it better
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote