Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
digory
Enthusiast
digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle touch
System Time Issues

Hi there!

I'm sure somebody must have asked this before, so please point me to the right thread. I have two questions concerning KT's system time.

i. The system time is reset (apparently to the 1st of January, 2012) each time I reboot the KT. Is this a hardware issue, or can it be fixed?

ii. I'm still trying to get a HelloWorld kindlet running on my kindlet. After much investigation, I got beyond the incompatibilty error I mentioned in the How To Write Kindlets thread (a line concerning the SDK was missing in the manifest file). Now I get: "The permissions to open this item have an invalid date." I've changed system time to the current time using the shell command date, but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Thanks for any reply.

EDIT: Problem ii solved. Calling date from a shell reveals that the device's timezone is GMT+08:43.

Last edited by digory; 07-06-2012 at 04:45 AM.
digory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by digory View Post
Hi there!

I'm sure somebody must have asked this before, so please point me to the right thread. I have two questions concerning KT's system time.

i. The system time is reset (apparently to the 1st of January, 2012) each time I reboot the KT. Is this a hardware issue, or can it be fixed?

ii. I'm still trying to get a HelloWorld kindlet running on my kindlet. After much investigation, I got beyond the incompatibilty error I mentioned in the How To Write Kindlets thread (a line concerning the SDK was missing in the manifest file). Now I get: "The permissions to open this item have an invalid date." I've changed system time to the current time using the shell command date, but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Thanks for any reply.

EDIT: Problem ii solved. Calling date from a shell reveals that the device's timezone is GMT+08:43.
Actually, problems are only hidden until the next re-boot.

Once you get the system time set to the current time and date using date those settings need to be copied to the hardware clock.
The hwclock command has an option to do that for you.

The Kindles assume they will be "always connected" to the Internet and use a network time protocol to keep the system time set. In the usual case, it is rare that anyone notices that the hardware time is often still set to that of the factory in China.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
digory
Enthusiast
digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle touch
OK, thanks! Cool!
digory is offline   Reply With Quote