Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
erayd
Zealot
erayd doesn't littererayd doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 2
Mobi Technical Documentation / Cover Images

Where can I find technical documentation that explains how to add a cover image to a mobi file? I've googled extensively, but can't find anything that describes how it's actually done, and sadly the wiki page doesn't go into enough detail in this area.

Note that I'm looking for documentation on how this is internally represented within the file, I'm not looking for instructions on how to use another program to do this job.

Thanks .

Edit: Documentation on creating an embedded TOC (i.e. in the metadata rather than inline) would also be useful, I can't find anything on this either.

Last edited by erayd; 12-01-2011 at 04:32 AM.
erayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Maybe you will find some answers here:

http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...eFolder=prcgen
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
erayd
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Maybe you will find some answers here:

http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...eFolder=prcgen
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, it's not what I'm after - your link seems to contain instructions on using other software tools to create mobi files.

What I'm looking for is technical information on the mobi format itself.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by erayd View Post
What I'm looking for is technical information on the mobi format itself.
There is no official technical documentation for the mobi format. It's a proprietary format owned by Amazon—so any knowledge gleaned about the internal structure of the format has been from the result reverse engineering efforts. If the wiki here on MobileRead doesn't contain the information you're looking for, then you're probably not going to find it anywhere.

Quote:
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, it's not what I'm after - your link seems to contain instructions on using other software tools to create mobi files.
Just so you know... the creation of a mobi file REQUIRES "other software tools." They can't really be made from scratch. MOBIs are binary files that must be compiled from source material, so it's not like an epub where you can build it with whatever text-editing tools you already use on your computer. Unless you write your own mobi creation software, you're stuck with kindlegen, Mobipocket Creator, or calibre (plus a few other plugins for other software).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-01-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Fix typo
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
erayd
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There is no official technical documentation for the mobi format. It's a proprietary format owned by Amazon—so any knowledge gleaned about the internal structure of the format has been from the result reverse engineering efforts. If the wiki here on MobileRead doesn't contain the information you're looking for, then you're probably not going to find it anywhere.
I'm aware that there is no official documentation - however this format has been comprehensively reverse-engineered by several others in the past, so unofficial documentation is a distinct possibility.

My current references are the MobileRead wiki and the API documentation for a perl library.

Quote:
Just so you know... the creation of a mobi file REQUIRES "other software tools." They can't really be made from scratch. MOBIs are binary files that must be compiled from source material...
I'm aware of that, however just because it's a binary format doesn't make it impossible to create without using somebody else's tool.

Quote:
Unless you write your own mobi creation software...
That's exactly what I'm doing, hence my request for documentation.
Advert