Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #46
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Ah. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was wondering why we were discussing it at all, or giving different suggestions. I don't really care which specific categories are open or closed but I realise others do. (I did care a bit about the pattern of it though, which is why I posted)

I only mentioned letting Tom decide just to hopefully get everyone on board saying "Yes, we'll just let Tom decide." Luckily, he posted quickly after me but sometimes he takes awhile before responding to things we're discussing and I was hoping to get us all in agreement on something.
Ah, okay. Cool. I think we're all on the same page now.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #47
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I have changed the visible months as a result of discussion in other threads. he following is now set in stone for 2012:

Quote:
January*: Runner Up
February: Romance
March: Thriller/Suspense
April*: Humour
May: Fantasy
June: Classic
July: Mystery/Crime
August*: Free For All
September: NonFiction
October: Horror
November: Science Fiction
December*: Classic
* The voting this month will be visible.
Near the end of 2012, we can have another poll to determine whether we want hidden or visible voting.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #48
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Awful... It means runner-up, humor, and freeforall get opened leaving weak months closed. The way I set things up, the weakest months get opened.
What do you mean by "weak" months?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #49
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I have changed the visible months as a result of discussion in other threads. he following is now set in stone for 2012:
Umm isn't that the same list as what you said a little earlier in the thread, here??
Old 11-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #50
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Umm isn't that the same list as what you said a little earlier in the thread, here??
I asked if that looked good, and some said yes, and others wanted a change. I think we're over-thinking this thing. Therefore, after making the changes suggested, I declared them set in stone so we can move on.
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #51
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
I asked if that looked good, and some said yes, and others wanted a change. I think we're over-thinking this thing. Therefore, after making the changes suggested, I declared them set in stone so we can move on.
Oh, okay. I guess I had already made it set in stone in my mind.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #53
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:

Quote:
January*: Runner Up
March: Thriller/Suspense
April*: Humour
May: Fantasy
July: Mystery/Crime
August*: Free For All
September: NonFiction
November: Science Fiction
* The voting this month will be visible.

Near the end of 2012, we can have another poll to determine whether we want hidden or visible voting.
Hallelujah
Old 11-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
What do you mean by "weak" months?

We have four week months as you can see.

Romance is weak because It's the one category with the most split in terms of like/dislike. Classic doesn't count as it's not really a category.

Classic is weak because it's classic and that's always been weak since nobody can actually properly define what it is and it's not really a category.

Horror is weak because we usually don't actually get scary books as the winner.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #55
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

We have four week months as you can see.

Romance is weak because It's the one category with the most split in terms of like/dislike.
On what do you base that? It's the one that dislikers are most vocal about, but I don't like, don't read, don't want to talk about horror. Not fond of most classics, either. The stigma against romance as being "chick lit" and therefore unworthy of serious discussion, has nothing to do with its actual popularity--which, according to book sales, is obviously very strong.

How is one of the bestselling genres of books a "weak" category? Certainly, there's a lot more people who enjoy romance books than science fiction.

Quote:
Classic doesn't count as it's not really a category.
It's a category; it's not a genre. And we have no active definition of the category--it could be defined by years-in-print, or popular influence, or some amalgam of the two, but we've left it to individual nominators and voters to decide what matters to them.

Quote:
Classic is weak because it's classic and that's always been weak since nobody can actually properly define what it is and it's not really a category.
So: Classic is weak because you don't know what someone else means when they say a book is a classic?

Quote:
Horror is weak because we usually don't actually get scary books as the winner.
We get books that voters agree are horror books. Whether they actually scare the readers has nothing to do with the strength or weakness of the category.

I still don't understand what you mean by "weak," other than "I don't like the way MR deals with these categories." What makes science fiction strong and romance weak?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #56
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Updated with link to discussion of A Christmas Carol.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #57
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Added discussion thread link for Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse. (Sorry about the delay; I forget to check when the thread's started, sometimes.)
Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #58
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Updated with link to Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #59
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

List updated with link to Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #60
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Added April discussion link: The Princess Bride by William Goldman.