Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
harry potter on the web

from the ny times today

someone posted pics of all the pages in the new book on the web

big time spoiler
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And they are real as it turns out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Yep, Tuesday. And people have been madly transcribing since then. There are several PDFs out with chunks of the book in readable (though not especially well proof-read) text. As long as the people who decide to read it early don't spoil it for those who are waiting for the Big Moment, I don't see much of a problem. It's already the best selling fiction book in history or something, right?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Tomorrow night after my soccer match, since I'll still be up, I'll be standing in line at my favorite bookstore where I'll bring my reader in its lighted box to wait. This library has 98% French content, when a new HP comes along, since the French translation only comes out next October, there will be hundreds of people who will try their eyes at it. The first hundred will get little gifts such as posters, which is the second reason for my getting there.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good luck on the "little gifts"! Hopefully no one in the crowd will try to spoil the plot for anyone.
Advert
Old 07-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Tomorrow night after my soccer match, since I'll still be up, I'll be standing in line at my favorite bookstore where I'll bring my reader in its lighted box to wait. This library has 98% French content, when a new HP comes along, since the French translation only comes out next October, there will be hundreds of people who will try their eyes at it. The first hundred will get little gifts such as posters, which is the second reason for my getting there.
If you were less than ethical you could perhaps be reading the book while waiting for the book to be released.

RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
If you were less than ethical you could perhaps be reading the book while waiting for the book to be released.

Last time there was something just as funny. One of the first persons to buy the book came out of the store, stood beside the line and read from the first chapter to the waiting people.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
My wife ordered months ago. Should arrive tomorrow. But we are on vacation and so we might have to read it on the iLiad
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Having read books 1-6 in one go earlier this year, I still don't get what the big deal is .... sigh ... but as far as the distribution of an illegal e-copy of the new one is concerned, surely that's all about hacker/pirate cred and not about actually reading the book three days earlier, right?
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I'll be honest, I've not read a single Harry Potter book or seen anything more than trailers for the movies. I hate to be one of those people who jump on bandwagons, so I've steered clear. But to those who have read them, what's the alure? People seem to be more addicted to these than crack...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

I didn't jump on the bandwagon when it passed by. I came to HP because I was interested in knowing why my daughter did it. It was a parent thing, I also had to provide them the books. But I'll tell you why I kept to it since both my kids have now gone on their own.

First, you get to identify your kid self in the struggles HP goes through, especially if you've had it bad in school. Second, her writing is good, concise and her images so very imaginative. Third, JK's a master 'plotter' , the plots are so good as to keeping you guessing almost through the book with barely a hint. Fourth, things go so fast and nice that you won't dare leave in the middle of such a captivating story. Last of all I WANNA KNOW HOW IT'S GOING TO END!!?!!!?!!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:25 AM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
They are just plain fun. In this case it just happens, that they are fun for alot of people. Just give it a try and you will find out. They have an interesting but not too complicated story. The story is told with a single story line (dont you hate jumping between story lines just when its really interesting??) and its a battle between good and bad. What makes it so simple makes it so good. And the well described little details in between give it the right kind of mix to find them very entertaining.

The addiction is forced by the media i guess. I read my first Harry Potter during a vacation in australia, because some other backpacker was reading a "kids book" made me read Part one. During those 4 week i read the first 4 novels (4 just came out end of my trip). Guess it really is an addiction.

But there have been many stories out there, that are much more intriguing than Harry Potter. But also much more complicated. So i am still going to read Harry Potter and have fun doing so (it is kind of like watching tv. turn off your brain and feel good). But i also enjoy the twisted minds of other authors.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Forgot to add that it is one of the only series where I've never found a plot error but one that I'd attribute to a character flaw.

My wife still will not read them because she's prejudiced against 'kid's books'. Well! They only start so.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 07-20-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #14
bruce
Software Developer
bruce began at the beginning.

Device: Sage, Oasis, Voyage, Paperwhite, iLiad, reb1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
Having read books 1-6 in one go earlier this year, I still don't get what the big deal is .... sigh ... but as far as the distribution of an illegal e-copy of the new one is concerned, surely that's all about hacker/pirate cred and not about actually reading the book three days earlier, right?
I've done that very thing with a number of book series since moving to Japan.

The automatic doubling of the cost for foreign published books here (short of ordering through Amazon) all but killed the joy of casually browsing for a good book for me. The end result is that I tend to go on book browsing and purchase binges when I fly home for visits, and tend bide my time in between.

I read the first four Harry Potter books in one go, got hooked and made my way to Kinokuniya as soon as each of the subsequent volumes were published. I've loved all of them but the pleasure of anticipation added something indefinably wonderful to those I read later.

I'm sure there is a hacker cred thing going on for some distributing early copies. But for a lot of folks, being able to read the next installment as soon as available is a powerful thing and I suspect that demand provides a fair amount of motivation for "early publishers".
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I think the hacker cred had the most influence in what happened this week. If Rowling (or her publishers) hadn't made such a big deal of never authorizing digital editions previously, the efforts to convert the books more and more quickly might not have escalated to the point that the hackers felt that they had to get the digital edition out before the actual paper edition to outdo the 24 hour turnaround last time.

I don't think reading the first chapter out loud to the waiting line is that bad, though I don't know how the people in line felt. After all, they'd have the book shortly. It's not like reading the LAST chapter to them. Nice way to spend waiting in line, if you ask me. At least, if the reader has a good reading voice and style.

As far as why I like the books so much, I like the characters, and the fact that the characters who succeed do so because they are basically decent, in a very credible way. I also like the way Rowling tends to work in plot twists-- she does keep you guessing, right up to the end. I won't provide specific examples because if you're considering reading these, it would take a lot of fun out of the stories. I will say that I was satisfied with the final book. I wasn't sure how well she would carry off the conclusion, but I think she did it, and did it well.

As far as plot holes, well, she does have trouble with some details, like how many students there are at the school, but they don't interfere with the telling of the story.