Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
moxy789
moxy789 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Help Design My Kindle 2 Cover/Case

Hello! As I await the arrival of my Kindle 2, I'm trying to channel my excitement into productive energy. Unsatisfied with the Amazon cover and cringing at the idea of leaving my Kindle unprotected for weeks while waiting for other manufacturers to begin production, I rather naively declared that I could create my own case.

However, never having owned an e-reader, I lack the personal experience to be able to optimize the design of my case. Thus, I am asking for your input. I'd appreciate any response to any/all of my questions.

How stiff is your cover? Would you prefer for it to feel like a hardcover or paperback book?
How much padding do you think is ideal? Minimal or Pillowy?
What kind of retention system do you like? The corner tabs with elastic, clips, or velcro?
How do you usually grasp your device, from the side? bottom? How does the space between the edge of your device and the edge of your case affect your ability to grasp the device and page turn?
What else do you like/dislike about your cover/case?
What else do you wish was/wasn't included in the design?

Thanks in advance for your help. I doubt my first model will be perfect, especially without the Kindle 2 in hand while creating it, but I know that if I don't do it beforehand I'll be having too much fun actually using the Kindle to get around to making a cover.
moxy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, moxy.

I have the M-Edge 'executive leather' cover in red. It has corner tabs, is stiff and gives great protections. Just enough 'lip' on the edge to hold on the side while reading with the cover folded back.

Don't 'overthink' too much........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I have the M-Edge as well. It is far superior to the cover it was shipped with. I tried another, can't remember the name of it, it was designed so you could prop it up on a table and read that way. It was horrible. I'll be getting an Oberon cover soon as a reward for a new job
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
moxy789
moxy789 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks!
Overthinking, am I that obvious already? I usually don't begin my sewing/crafting projects until late at night. That way, I'm too tired to just sit there and ponder my options and most stores are closed so I have to work with the resources I have.

Anyways, I'm modeling my own cover after the M-Edge platform cover. I like the idea of using the cover as a book stand. Do you have the M-Edge book light to go with your cover? I've never used a book light but I'll probably need one in the dorm next year.
moxy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Yep. I travel a lot and it is amazing the ideas that some hotels have for lighting. I also teach skiing part time, when I do that I stay at a ski school provided lodge in a comunal living environment. I tend to read very late and have annoyed many people with my flahlight. The book light is perfect.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxy789 View Post
Thanks!
Overthinking, am I that obvious already? I usually don't begin my sewing/crafting projects until late at night. That way, I'm too tired to just sit there and ponder my options and most stores are closed so I have to work with the resources I have.

Anyways, I'm modeling my own cover after the M-Edge platform cover. I like the idea of using the cover as a book stand. Do you have the M-Edge book light to go with your cover? I've never used a book light but I'll probably need one in the dorm next year.
the hardest part about making a quilt is choosing the color/pattern combo, and in which order to put them. I can spend ages doing that, but once thats done, bingo bango........

The medge booklight is only available for the new style medge cover, they needed a little more room to fit the light. I have no problems using the mighty brite 2 clip on light with the original cover.

If I had it to do over again, I would get the new cover with the light, looks like they have the bugs worked out.

heres the link for the might brite......I have the black one.

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-...5435435&sr=8-3
Old 02-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
krisk
Wizard

^I think that's the one I have.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

'Course, if you really want to go first class, and start drooling..........expensive, yes, but well worth it. Made in USA, small family company, quality goods.

http://oberondesign.com/store/kindle2M.php
Old 02-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
AuPhinger
Aficionado
AuPhinger began at the beginning.

Device: Rags to Riches - K1, K2, 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
I have the M-Edge as well. It is far superior to the cover it was shipped with. I tried another, can't remember the name of it, it was designed so you could prop it up on a table and read that way. It was horrible. I'll be getting an Oberon cover soon as a reward for a new job
The Oberon covers are, IMO, absolutely beautiful---are they as functional as they are nice? Is the front stiff/rigid for screen protection?

I too will probably be thinking about and futzing with covers for who knows how long. I might well take a two layer approach---a basic cover for use, and a second, rigid box/container for brief case, backpack use, etc. Having trashed one laptop screen, I'm a bit goosey about screen protection!!

Gene / Magoo
AuPhinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:52 AM   #10
krisk
Wizard

^I don't know, haven't ordered one yet. Someone here had one and just sold it in preparation for the Kindle 2 as I recall.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuPhinger View Post
The Oberon covers are, IMO, absolutely beautiful---are they as functional as they are nice? Is the front stiff/rigid for screen protection?

I too will probably be thinking about and futzing with covers for who knows how long. I might well take a two layer approach---a basic cover for use, and a second, rigid box/container for brief case, backpack use, etc. Having trashed one laptop screen, I'm a bit goosey about screen protection!!

Gene / Magoo
The Oberon covers are gorgeous, and very functional & protective. The front & back are both rigid - the leather itself bends easily so you can fold the cover back, but there are rigid plastic panels in pockets in the front & back sections of the cover. There's a video demo of the covers on youtube. (Oberon used to have one but it's gone now, probably preparing their video of the K2 cover.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIhcRQzb8Mk
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:37 PM   #12
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Oberon Design's video is here: http://www.oberondesign.com/store/kindleVID.php
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote