Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
OffColour
OffColour began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Newbie: set_metadata?

Hi folks,

Getting my head around the code structure, but a bit lost on exactly how/where metadata is getting updated following a change to, say, author in the main list view.

I added a print into the the obvious location of set_metadata, but not getting anything in the debug window. Debug seems to be working fine as I have the "*" and modifying existing print statements works.

Thanks

Gary
OffColour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
What "metadata" are you talking about? The metadata store inside a book format? Because as has been well documented that data is only ever updated by calibre (for books inside the library) during a conversion process, or when you export using send to device/save to disk (or using the Modify ePub plugin). Changing a title/author etc does not change the data inside a book.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
OffColour

Hi,

I'm talking about the entry in metadata.db and the changing of the folder for a book in the library when the author is changed.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Right, the actual database.

I would suggest the starting point if you are looking at a library screen edit activity is in calibre/gui2/library/models.py. Specifically the _set_data() function which I believe all the delegates end up channeling through. You can see some special cases in there for some column types, but authors fall into the general case of calling self.db.set() which I believe will go to the set() function in calibre/library/database2.py

In the case of authors then you will end up in that same database2.py file in set_authors() which calls set_path() after updating the library.

Thats my guesses from a quick look at the code without putting any print statements of my own in to verify . I'm sure Kovid/chaley can correct me if I'm wrong which is equally possible.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
OffColour

Excellent. Thanks for the help.