Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Two Amazon accounts: One copy of Kindle for PC

Between us, Mrs L and I own two Kindles:

Mine was purchased in the US, and is registered to my account at Amazon.com, using my (legitimate) US business address.

The other was purchased in the UK, and is registered to our home address in the Scotland.

So far, no problem. But I have now been trying to install Kindle for PC on a laptop that we both use.

I downloaded the app from Amazon.Com, installed it, and registered it to my US account. That worked. But I can't see any way of changing the registration to my wife's UK account. When I enter her account credentials, it tells me that the account doesn't exist at Amazon.com, which of course is true.

So I tried uninstalling it, and downloading it again, but this time from Amazon.co.uk. Now, it correctly allowed me to register it to my wife's account, but not to mine.

Since you can't have two versions on the same computer, it seems you're stuck with either a UK or a US account, but not both.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Is there any way of pointing it to one Amazon site or the other? Or will I have to set it up on two separate computers?

Thanks in advance.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Would it work to have each version installed to a separate user account on the same computer?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Would it work to have each version installed to a separate user account on the same computer?
Unfortunately, no. It was one of the first things I tried. It wouldn't let me install two versions, even to different user accounts.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Unfortunately, no. It was one of the first things I tried. It wouldn't let me install two versions, even to different user accounts.

The best solution I can think of for this is to use virtualization. You don't say what version of Windows you have, but using a virtualization solution such as Virtual PC or VMWare Workstation will allow you to run a second copy of Windows on that same hardware. However, there are some caveats.
1.) The host needs to have enough spare RAM and CPU power to run a second copy of Windows.
2.) Depending on what version of Windows your host is running, you may need a second license for Windows.

That being said, if you're running Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, it includes the right to use "XPMode". This will allow you to run a copy of Windows XP as a virtual machine on the Win7 box, and adds in the TSRAIL capability so that virtualized applications (Kindle for PC, in this case) can display on the regular Windows desktop as if they were running in the host, not the guest.

I would suggest you investigate Apprentice Alf to do DRM removal. This will greatly simplify moving books back and forth between your Kindles and your copies of Kindle for PC.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

i know thid isnt an answer to your question. but why not you and your wife share the same account?
My wife and i use the same account and have seperate readers. when you purchase a book it doesnt force the books to both readers only the book you want otherwise its archived on amazon's site in your account and you can dload it or remove it from your device or kindle app at any time.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The best solution I can think of for this is to use virtualization. ar
Thanks for the suggestion. I know about virtualisation because I use it at work. We run XPMode under Windows 7, and it works well for software testing.

But I want to do this at home, using a lightweight laptop running XP Home, that's usually lying around the kitchen. I think that, rather than trying to get VM running on this system, I would find it easier to bring a second laptop home.

I was hoping there would be some easy way of pointing the program to the relevant Amazon site - something like changing a registry entry or editing an INI file.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
... why not you and your wife share the same account?
The main reason is that I use a US account (registered with Amazon.com), which I mainly use for work. The books and journals that I buy for my Kindle are often unavailable in the UK.

Conversely, my wife can't use my US account because she doesn't have a credit card registered to a US address, so she might be stymied by geographical restrictions. That's why she has a UK account (with Amazon.co.uk).

This has never been a problem with our physical Kindles. It's only because we both would like to access our books on a PC (for different reasons) that the problem has arisen.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I would suggest you investigate Apprentice Alf to do DRM removal. This will greatly simplify moving books back and forth between your Kindles and your copies of Kindle for PC.
Sorry, didn't notice that comment earlier.

I don't see that removing DRM would help.

Perhaps I didn't explain it very well. My aim is not to share books. My aim is for both my wife and I to be able to access our existing books on the same PC.

Basically, I want to fix it so that, when I am using the computer, I can click on Archived Items and see all the books I have purchased; and click Shop in the Kindle Store, and be taken to Amazon.Com.

Ditto for my wife, and her books, and Amazon.co.uk
Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you remove the DRM, you can use another ereader program, like Mobipocket Reader, to read the books you buy from both Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool dual booting

Quote:
I want to fix it so that, when I am using the computer, I can click on Archived Items and see all the books I have purchased; and click Shop in the Kindle Store, and be taken to Amazon.Com.

Ditto for my wife, and her books, and Amazon.co.uk
you might try a Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #11
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Maybe installing second copy in Sandboxie (http://www.sandboxie.com/) would help?
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
Mike L
Wizard

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. I'll give them all some thought.

To be honest, I don't really want to go to the trouble of installing a dual-boot system, or a virtual machine, or even Sandboxie (but thanks for telling me about that program, Vroo; it looks like it is worth knowing about). I might find it easier just to use a second laptop.

Susan, I like your idea of using the Mobipocket Reader, although it would be a bit drastic to have to remove all the DRM. I'm not sure if I feel comfortable with the ethics of that, plus Mobipocket Reader wouldn't give the advantages of syncing with the Kindles that the Amazon program does. However, it's defintely worth considering.

I'll experiment with some of these ideas, and let you know which one I eventually go for.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. I'll give them all some thought.

To Susan, I like your idea of using the Mobipocket Reader, although it would be a bit drastic to have to remove all the DRM. I'm not sure if I feel comfortable with the ethics of that, plus Mobipocket Reader wouldn't give the advantages of syncing with the Kindles that the Amazon program does. However, it's defintely worth considering.
If you remove DRM, you can read them in Kindle for PC regardless of whose books they are. No need to change readers. You'll only have one person's books in Archive, but ANY non-DRM .mobi, .prc, or .azw files that are in your My Kindle Content folder are shown on the home page of Kindle for PC.

If you use Calibre to manage all your books (highly recommended), then removing DRM and moving books in or out of Kindle for PC is trivial.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle 3
On your computer, make another "account" (maybe Mrs. L). On that second account, maybe you can install the UK Kindle app.

If that doesn't work, uninstall your kindle app. When installing see if it asks if you want to only install it on your account (or your whole computer). Choose for just your account. Then go to the new Mrs. L Account and install the UK kindle app.

Personally I'd try this first before I'd go Virtual PC or a dual-boot system. Those just seem like a pain whereas if my method works, it would be relatively painless.

De-DRMing books is just a temporary solution. I feel it will be a pain to do that for every single book. Also, you don't get those cool whispersync features :P
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)

He already said he'd tried different accounts. And it simply won't work.

De-DRMing books is a permanent solution. It's a minor nuisance, I agree. But when you get done, you have complete control over the book you paid for. I don't see an ethical issue there, at all. As for whispersync features? Actually, yes you do. If you use Calibre, it puts the ASIN in and Amazon sees it correctly and saves bookmarks, etc., just fine.

Dual boot is almost never an answer. And virtualization is only an answer if his machine has the horsepower, which it sounds like it doesn't really.