Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
pathfinderca
Connoisseur
pathfinderca began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V.2
has anybody bought the protection plan

Has anybody bought the protection plan that apple offers for ipad? I didn't buy it because the guy in the store told us it's not worth it.
pathfinderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Nope.

I did finally buy one for my Macbook, but only because I found out that my three Apple networking devices (two Time Capsules and an Airport Express) are also covered by it.

Make sure to check Amazon for a cheaper plan if you decide to get one-they often sell real Applecare packages for less.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
No. You might consider SquareTrade, too. I've read that they offer decent coverage for electronics, though I haven't bought from them.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
pathfinderca
Connoisseur

But the thing is the guy at the store says it doesn't have accidental damage coverage. And apple offers one year manufacturer warranty, he recommended that we don't buy the plan. Accidental is the only thing I wanted. My son already dropped the ipad once. Thanks for your info.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
pathfinderca
Connoisseur

Thanks Maggie for your reply. I'll look into it.
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
I went with SquareTrade. It covers everything that the Apple care plan covers, plus accidental damage and spills, for 3 yrs. I've heard nothing but positive reviews about them, but as this was my first plan with ST I can't relay any personal experiences.

Also, Apple care wasn't an option for me since they don't offer it in Florida.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
SquareTrade here on my iPad, Kindle, and new iPhone. I have friends who use them for professional camera gear warranties as well. I'm way more worried about physical damage than I am about having something go wrong with device internally, but either way I'm covered.

And the warranty is easily transferred to a new owner or cancelled with a prorated refund should I decide to upgrade.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

You might try requesting or googling for a SquareTrade coupon code. They run sales, too. I think I recently saw an ad for 30 percent off an iPad warranty.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'm curious if anyone here's had to actually use their SquareTrade warranty and if so how it went. I've heard of them, but never bought or used a warranty through them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm curious if anyone here's had to actually use their SquareTrade warranty and if so how it went. I've heard of them, but never bought or used a warranty through them.
On Amazon's Kindle forum, people said they'd used their warranties and were satisfied.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I got it, but I'm superstitious. Pshrynk's Law of Consumerism: 100% of everything you buy is defective.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I'm a electronic Junkie, I tend to upgrade in a year and give my old device to a family member.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I bought it. Seems like a good idea for a 1st gen product and apple tech support by phone is free for the entire two years plus hardware and battery replacement. I used my apple care in the past and it definitely paid for itself not only in phone tech support but when my time capsule died, it was replaced with no hassles.
Original warranty only gives 90 days tech support, then you have to pay for phone support, $60 an hour! Ouch! I'd rather pay $99 for two years coverage and if I use it, will be glad I have it!

Square trade is offering a 20% discount on their iPad warranty but it is only $4 less than AppleCare. The only advantage I see is that they offer accidental coverage which is nice and the rest is mechanical which is covered under AppleCare. So if I understand it correctly, phone support beyond Apple's 90 days is not offered and that is what I use most often.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 07-16-2010 at 11:39 AM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Forgot about the tech support thingie, which I discovered only after I bought it. I felt pretty smart for a while, then I obviously forgot and ....

What Alzheimer's?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote