Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Does anyone use a thin screen protector on their Kobo?

I recently read about a few users using one of the very thin screen protectors on their Kobo and thought I might try it. Not because I've ever damaged any screen, but the surface of the Glo has a rough feel to it, and after all this time it's still off-putting to me. A screen protector would solve that.

So I did order one and it is indeed very silky smooth like I prefer, no rough feeling at all. However, swiping does not work any more, or works very erratically, sometimes not turning the page, often turning 2 pages, often turning the pages backwards instead of forwards. It's just impossible to use if you swipe. It does work if you like to just touch to turn pages though.

Has anyone who prefers to swipe had any luck using a screen protector? If so, which one did you order? I really love the smooth touch again, but I'll never get used to tapping and not swiping (nor do I really want to, swiping is just the natural movement for me to turn a page).

Edit: I imagine capacitive touch will work better than infrared with a screen protector, so this is mostly for those of you with infrared touch devices.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It sounds like the screen protector is interfering with the IR. Time to remove the screen protector and call it a day.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

If I had to hazard a guess, the thin film is diffusing the IR beams that cross the screen. You may have more luck with long swipes to turn pages, or it may simply be confusing the software that interprets touches.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, it's already been removed, but I know others have done it without problems. I tried long swipes, short swipes, everything in between and it always was very erratic.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Yeah, it's already been removed, but I know others have done it without problems. I tried long swipes, short swipes, everything in between and it always was very erratic.
Are you using the same screen protectors?

If you feel like disassembling your device, I'm thinking that applying the screen protector with the bezel removed will produce better results. My experience is with the HD and H2O, both of which had the IR component mounted behind the screen and used a piece of plastic around the bezel to guide light to the screen surface. By placing the protector under the bezel, it should raise the whole thing above your extra protective layer.
Advert
Old 02-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

In theory it might work, but I think the size of the screen protector would have to be larger. They're cut to exactly fit the Glo 6" screen, so I'm sure placing it under the bezel won't really have much of an effect on performance. The infrared beams will still be above the protector. And I'm not too confident about trimming a larger one down to make a good fit.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:01 AM   #7
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
I know it's a question of taste, but why do you swipe when slightly touching the screen is enough?

While reading, I barely move my hands and my right thumb is so close to the screen that I just have to move it by a few millimeters to go to the next page.
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:37 AM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Like you said, it's a question of taste. Every other device I own (other readers, phones, tablets, any touch screen) uses a swipe to turn pages or flip screens. It's a more natural movement and takes the slightest swipe to turn the page, it's not like it's some grand gesture you need to perform. So switching to a tap for one device would annoy me to try and remember to tap and not swipe. Plus it's still the most natural and instinctive way to turn a page for me.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:55 AM   #9
biteme
biteme has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.biteme has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.biteme has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.biteme has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.biteme has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.biteme has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.biteme has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.biteme has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.biteme has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.biteme has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.biteme has won the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
The only Kobo that seems to make a case for a screen protector is the 6" Aura, because on that model the screen is flush with the bezel and prone to scratching if left on its face.

All the others have a protruding bezel that keeps the screen away from any horizontal surface. Your fingers are not going to damage a screen, unless you punch it or something. I can see a case for a screen protector if you or leave your device loose in a case or bag with other loose objects floating around, but that is a bad practice anyway. Something will eventually hit the screen with more force than a protector sheet can handle.

I would say ditch the protector.
biteme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I agree, but I didn't do it to protect the screen. I've never gotten so much as a tiny scratch on any of my readers. I wanted the smooth touch back again like I was used to, and that's pretty much the only reason I'd be interested in a screen protector.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athropos View Post
I know it's a question of taste, but why do you swipe when slightly touching the screen is enough?

While reading, I barely move my hands and my right thumb is so close to the screen that I just have to move it by a few millimeters to go to the next page.
Two reasons swiping is better than tapping.

1. I can swipe anyplace on screen to change the page. If the tap zone to turn the page forward is not in easy reach, a swipe will do. I do sometimes hold my H2O on the left side and I can easily swipe with my thumb and the page turns forward. Tap zones are annoying unless you always hold in read of a tap zone. I do not. Even if I use one hand to hold and the other to swipe, I can swipe almost anyplace on screen and the page turns.

2. When you swipe, you get less fingerprints.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:00 AM   #12
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Two reasons swiping is better than tapping.

1. I can swipe anyplace on screen to change the page. If the tap zone to turn the page forward is not in easy reach, a swipe will do. I do sometimes hold my H2O on the left side and I can easily swipe with my thumb and the page turns forward. Tap zones are annoying unless you always hold in read of a tap zone. I do not. Even if I use one hand to hold and the other to swipe, I can swipe almost anyplace on screen and the page turns.

2. When you swipe, you get less fingerprints.
Totaly agree with you but always better to have the two options.
I have bought a screen protector and i'm very happy with it. All gestures and touch are like always and the fingerprints are gone (well, not at all but almost), and finally it's too easy to applying and cleaning because the grease don't stay glued like in the screen.
Vikuiti (3M) DQCT130, 3 protectors for H20, aprox. 6 € on amazon
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #13
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
I use a polarized glossy screen protector on my glow. It has the added benefit of popping the image. Making it seem more readable at least to me. However it could in bright light(such as direct Sunlight) be detracting to the readability. In which case using a non glossy would be better. It works quite well and does prevent scratches on the screen which is why I bought it.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #14
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

The last few posts are making me want to give it another try with another brand of protector. I really don't have any problems with scratching the screen, I've never once gotten even a slight scratch on any screen, but it would be just for the smooth feel I prefer. But I could end up spending $50 and still not have one that works with swipes is my big fear.