Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Xnyper
Xnyper began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Protective case for ebook readers

Today I broke the screen on my CyBook. I can't even blame anyone for it, there was an odd corner protruding from my backpack, so I forcefully relocated the rogue item to the interior of the pack, thinking it was a textbook--big mistake.

Not sure if I'm going to pay bookeen to replace the screen, or just get a new reader, but thats not what this post is about.

I decided that when I do have a reader to protect, I am not going to trust any protective cases for it--I am going to make my own. I don't think it is necessary that the case conform to the reader, most reading takes place in a pretty safe environment, its transport that I'm worried about.

I want to make a hollow book as described here:
http://how2dostuff.blogspot.com/2006...llow-book.html

My question to all of you is, what book should I use? It doesn't have to be inconspicuous, just hardcover. I want something fitting, something symbolic--or at least intelligent, of all the information carried within. I was originally going to find a copy of Simmulacra and Simulations, which is the book that Neo hollowed out in the Matrix, but its impossible to find in hardcover.
Xnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I found a copy of one called Wireless when I did mine.

I'd suggest you head to Half-Price Books (or your local equivalent) and look at the clearance shelf -- mine cost me a dollar.

I'd also suggest (if you can get hold of one) using a RotoZip type tool to do the page cutting. If I make any more, that's what I plan to do: it'd turn several hours work into just a few minutes, and give neater results, I expect.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I know that Pier One, Hobby Lobby etc. make wooden cases/boxes that are painted to look like books. It depends on how hardcore you want to go on protection!
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Xnyper
Xnyper began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Nice! (and I thought my idea was original)

I think i'm going to slip an elastic band between some pages when I glue them together, so that I can wrap the book moleskine style... that or embed some magnets in either side of the closing-side.

I suppose I'll go find a cheap assortment so I can select one to massacre, still--I'd rather find a title that is fitting. A clever way of saying "there's more in this book than you might think"
Xnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnyper View Post
... that or embed some magnets in either side of the closing-side.
I actually did that, but I used that magnetic tape stuff, so it doesn't hold all that well.

If I had it to do over again, I'd put good, strong magnets in the "pages" and a piece of steel in the cover, I think it would hold better with the right magnet/steel combination.

I tried velcro too, but I couldn't come up with an arrangement that I liked -- they all made the cover rise up.

The strap is a dandy idea, you could put it between the back cover and the pages, that ought to hold it nice and firmly.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I think the protective case that was made from a book described in this thread is really beautiful!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17437
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote