Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #31
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's more flexible because it IS tiles, which you can freely rearrange as you wish - more flexible than icons on the desktop (eg you're not limited to the dimensions of the physical screen), and a LOT more flexible than the "Start" menu. Yes, it's clearly inspired by tablet UIs such as the iPad and Android.
i find modern ui less flexible since you can't use folders. it's annoying how tiles jump around as you try and move things. i like a perfect, consistent order and not big multi scrolling pages. on android i rarely leave the first page.

since i don't like modern ui, i spend most my time in desktop. not as touch friendly but better apps and organization for one who wants more control. i won't even use any of the browsers in modern ui mode.

good thing about win 8 is that you can get the old win 7 feel back. it's just tough with touches sometimes.

i got the ativ 500t btw but thinking of upgrading to the 700t.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #32
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
If you want a start menu on the desktop side, simply right click the task bar and select Toolbars then New Toolbar. In the dialog that comes up, browse to...

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

and click Select Folder. Now you will have a task called Programs with a chevron. Click the chevron for your start menu.
The start screen definitely takes a little getting used to, but if you think of it as your start button spread across the screen it works great. Add Wizwor's tip about adding the "programs" task...that is the best of both worlds!
Thanks!
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #33
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
good thing about win 8 is that you can get the old win 7 feel back. it's just tough with touches sometimes.

i got the ativ 500t btw but thinking of upgrading to the 700t.
Is that you Bill Gates? I have always had room in my heart for companies that considered my investment in Rev 0 when moving to Rev 1. My affection for Windows is in large part due to Microsoft's commitment to their customers. I routinely play a 1989 DOS game based on the board game risk and this weekend played Doom from 1993. Somehow this works even while I am running two servers and a modern office suite on the same box. Amazing, right?

Allowing us to continue to work and play the way we love to while ushering their OS into the touch era is an impressive feat.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #34
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
The start screen definitely takes a little getting used to, but if you think of it as your start button spread across the screen it works great. Add Wizwor's tip about adding the "programs" task...that is the best of both worlds!
Thanks!
The deficiencies of Win8 go deeper than simply lack of a "Start" button. That just happens to be the most visible and easily identifiable one. The oversized UI elements scream more of "Fisher-Price My First PC" than of a serious operating system. And what about overlapping application windows?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #35
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
If you want a start menu on the desktop side, simply right click the task bar . . .
Excellent tip that I never heard of before.

First thing I tried with the desktop start menu -- highlight the Store, and delete it. Not only did it go away from the desktop start menu, it was gone on the new interface as well!

Then I brought the Store back from the Recycle Bin, in case I ever want it.

P.S. I'm using a homebuilt desktop PC. I don't know what happens on the Surface Pro.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 02-19-2013 at 08:29 PM.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #36
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
And what about overlapping application windows?
what about them?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #37
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
what about them?
The Metro UI of Win8 does not support overlapping windows. That's an issue for those of us who depend on them.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #38
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
The Metro UI of Win8 does not support overlapping windows. That's an issue for those of us who depend on them.
Why would you want to overlap?? You can have them side by side, or easily switch between them with the flick of a finger/mouse.

I've found that most peoples complaints about Windows 8 is that "it's not the desktop".....It IS the desktop. The desktop is right there...just click the BIG tile that says "Desktop". And for those who complain that the tiles are too big....right click and select "smaller"...or just right click on a space in the start screen and select "all apps".

I think just as many people would have complained if there wasn't a big change to the program: "Its just the same program - why should I pay for an upgrade". People have just gotten used to the start button/desktop where they were and if anything changed they would be out of their comfort zone and not like it. Then there are those who just don't like Microsoft and will complain just to complain. You can't please everyone I guess...

Only 1 of my multiple computers still has windows 7, and only 2 of them are touch. The GUI takes a little bit to get used to the differences, but once you do, it's actually very nice. My media/theater computer has a wireless logitech touchpad that allows me to do all the touch aspects on the big screen; my 14 yo son has a touch screen and loves it; and my wife "confiscated" my surface pro and swears she's not giving it back because she loves it...

As I said before, there is a learning curve but people will get used to it. After a little while I'd even bet that those who complain now about Windows 8 because it's not windows 7 will complain that the next version is not windows 8...
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
So what? You can still run all your old apps on the desktop.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #40
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Why would you want to overlap?? You can have them side by side, or easily switch between them with the flick of a finger/mouse.

I've found that most peoples complaints about Windows 8 is that "it's not the desktop".....It IS the desktop. The desktop is right there...just click the BIG tile that says "Desktop". And for those who complain that the tiles are too big....right click and select "smaller"...or just right click on a space in the start screen and select "all apps".

I think just as many people would have complained if there wasn't a big change to the program: "Its just the same program - why should I pay for an upgrade". People have just gotten used to the start button/desktop where they were and if anything changed they would be out of their comfort zone and not like it. Then there are those who just don't like Microsoft and will complain just to complain. You can't please everyone I guess...

Only 1 of my multiple computers still has windows 7, and only 2 of them are touch. The GUI takes a little bit to get used to the differences, but once you do, it's actually very nice. My media/theater computer has a wireless logitech touchpad that allows me to do all the touch aspects on the big screen; my 14 yo son has a touch screen and loves it; and my wife "confiscated" my surface pro and swears she's not giving it back because she loves it...

As I said before, there is a learning curve but people will get used to it. After a little while I'd even bet that those who complain now about Windows 8 because it's not windows 7 will complain that the next version is not windows 8...
I have the same experience.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:04 AM   #41
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
So what? You can still run all your old apps on the desktop.
Yes, you can overlap all you want on the desktop. Actually I usually forget I am using Windows 8, only the extremely quick shutdown and startup times remind me.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #42
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
A lot of people complain about any change. Almost as many complain about stale. I don't see what the big deal is. There are enough versions of enough operating systems for each person to choose. Maybe complaining fulfills?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #43
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Its nice that the Surface pro can run standard PC software ( like the adobe suites or 3D/gaming software) but $900 USD for a 64 GB HD "laptop" just does not make sense to me

In my view laptops have become powerful enough to supplant towers as home/office production hardware for consumers.
Thus making them overkill for most mobile computing tasks such internet, editing ,texting watching video and reading etc

tablets IMHO are the perfect solution for the mobile user/commuter.

The MS surface pro is nice but the $900-$1000 price point makes it just as or even more expensive than that powerful production laptop I left back at the office rendering a 3D animation visualization.
amazingly it manages to be both an overpriced laptop and way over priced tablet at the same time in my view.

Last edited by Anabran; 02-20-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
The MS surface pro is nice but the $900-$1000 price point makes it just as or even more expensive than that powerful production laptop I left back at the office rendering a 3D animation visualization.
amazingly it manages to be both an overpriced laptop and way over priced tablet at the same time in my view.
They're not trying to compete in the laptop market; they are competing with the Ultrabook market, in which they are reasonably priced.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #45
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Quote:
They're not trying to compete in the laptop market; they are competing with the Ultrabook market, in which they are reasonably priced.
What is the difference between a laptop and an ultrabook?

For me the ultrabook was just the new version of laptop not a new gadget. Am I wrong?
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote