Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Shieko
Shieko began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O Aura
Minor issue - random double page turns.

Hi all! So I've received one of these PRS-T1's as an early Christmas present and I'm over the moon. I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever (touch wood), it's been bliss... Updated to the latest firmware as soon as it came out fyi.

One small issue I've noticed though, is that now and then, when turning with the buttons (since I use these more than the touch page turn), it will skip two pages instead of just one. One page turn, then another in quick succession. There doesn't seem to be a correlation between how hard I press the button or not, and it isn't often either - perhaps 1 in 20-50 page turns.

Does this happen with anyone else? Even if it's a fault with mine only, I hardly consider it worth taking back over, but I was curious if this was happening to others also.
Shieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It sounds like what you have a key bounce. That's where you press a key on a keyboard and it registers more then one press.

Your page turn button issue does sound like a hardware fault. I suggest getting it replaced.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Gustav Gans
Enthusiast
Gustav Gans began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have this problem, too. But I fear if Sony replaces my device I will face a couple of other annoyances. The overall build quality of the plastic chassis is not very high.
Gustav Gans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
uofabigd
uofabigd began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1BC
I had that issue on mine. I sent it back for an exchange and the new one doesn't seem to have that problem (yet). However, mine was doing that once every 5-10 page turns so it was very bothersome.
uofabigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Shieko

I'm worried about getting it replaced and having other issues too... My screen isn't skewered to the left on my current one for example.

How long have you had your second one for?

If its this common I have further reason to not bother replacing it. Sometimes it happens once or twice within ten pages and then other times it seems okay for 100 or so... Guess there are worse problems I could have on here that I've been luck enough to avoid.
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This type of issue would annoy me. I think I would replace it too. Maybe you can open the replacement in-store to make sure it is ok?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
This type of issue would annoy me. I think I would replace it too. Maybe you can open the replacement in-store to make sure it is ok?
That is exactly what I would do. Open it in the store to make sure it works.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I don't think the defect rate is quite so high that I wold be worried about exchanging a malfuntioning unit for fear that the replacement would be even worse. Admitedly, I only bought 2, which is not nearly enough for a statistical basis. However, judgring only by the uncientific frequency of complaints on this forum (compared to other device forums), I think the new TRS-1 has been a very solid device, despite the drastic reduction of material quality from previous Sony readers.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
AltairDrax
AltairDrax began at the beginning.

Device: Sony,PRS-T1
I have the same problem, it does not always occur, it is really random. First time I see it, is after the first update, it became horrible, double page turn every 4-5 page turn... After finishing the book, I read another and the problem almost disappear, it occur only from time to time, like every 50 page turn or so. After the last update I though the problem was solved, because it did not occur after reading two books (about 700 pages) and now I am facing to the problem again. I don't know what is the cause of the problem. It doesn't seem linked to the book, restarting the T1 doesn't help either.
AltairDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
Shieko

Well I just looked at a friends PRS-T1 and it does the exact same thing... unless it becomes worse with time, I think I'm going to just live with it for now, it seems too common for me to be overly concerned personally.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:34 AM   #11
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
I've encountered this issue with 1 book. This was a .mobi book which I converted to epub with Calibre. The double page turns occurred after I enlarged the original font so as I could read it without wearing my reading glasses. I went back to the original sized font, put on my glasses and the problem went away.
So, it could be an issue with the device, or with Calibre's conversion. Or it could be me not configuring Calibre properly. In any case, I read said book for about 2 hours last night with no problem.
Hope that helps some of you.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
Gustav Gans
Enthusiast
Gustav Gans began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
My browser double-turns, too.
Gustav Gans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
nightslide
nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!nightslide , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Mine does too, just updated it to the latest firmware, but hadn't used it without the most current firmware. Just got it, so I was wondering if it was just me or not. From what I've read here, it seems it's something that's gotten better with firmware updates, or is it a hardware issue?

Thanks for the help!

d
nightslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
Schauberger
Biotechnologist
Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st Gen Kindle; Sony PRS-T1
When I use the stock reader on my (rooted) T1, it occasionally does a double page-turn, but when I use Coolreader it doesn't seem to happen. This makes me think that it's a software issue.
Schauberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Interesting. I have two T1s. One has this issue and the other doesn't. I was inclined to think it a hardware issue.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote