Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
Unhappy For lack of a response...

I have paid, waited, contributed, waited more, and tried to encourage good behaviour. I'm frankly a bit tired of the results so far, which include some rather aimless development, a lot of fumbling, and some direct deception along with a huge amount of neglect. Here's a (slightly edited) copy of a mail I sent a week ago, which received no reply at all. I apologize for any inaccuracies, but simply ignoring everything is not an appropriate response.

Hello. I have purchased a Pocketbook 903 device, and am rather underwhelmed at the progress of support for it.

For starters, I was led to believe that PB were actively trying to encourage development for the device, as some sources were published in the sourceforce project pocketbook-free. I found, however, that these are incomplete and for the most part very old.

We were also promised an updated SDK which is now long overdue, as ABI level changes made this model incompatible with what you had published.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...33#post1404533

I am hereby requesting a copy of ALL the GPL and LGPL code used for the device. In particular, this includes:
Linux kernel sources, INCLUDING any modifications such as the SD slot driver, in source form. The object files in drivers/mmc you have published are inacceptable, and as a clear violation of the GPL license under which you have access to the Linux kernel. This means you have no right to use the kernel itself currently - which all your products rely on.
GNU C library
Busybox
Poppler
DjVuLibre
FBReader
Antiword
MAD
GCC
DirectFB
ATK
Cairo
libenchant
Gtk+
libgcrypt
glib
libglade
gnutls
pango
libsoup
Midori
Links
libgpg-error
djviewer
pdfviewer
Calculator
WebKit (this one may be borderline, as it depends on which portions of webkit have been enabled)

I'd also like an explanation as to why you're not fixing crippling bugs, such as the inability to pan in zoomed documents introduced in 2.0.5. It would also help a little if the release notes were comprehensible - the 2.0.6 notes were not. Another bug that was ignored is that the device causes random corruption when I attempt to write to a microSD card. I and many others have noted these bugs and more on the mobileread forum and other independent webpages.

An apology for the bait and switch tactics used in the dictionary would also be in order. I was not told that there were some sort of trial conditions on the dictionaries included with the device.

In order to be able to fix the bugs you have not, I also request instructions for how to update the kernel and libraries in the device. This depends at the least on the bootloader configuration and there appears to be a GnuPG-based update prevention system in place.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
sontag1
sontag1 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
There is no fear in this dojo!
sontag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Might be a good idea to contact gpl-violations.org and the GNU foundation itself as they are more likely to get results.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:58 AM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Without root access, only the applications can be overridden. The kernel, system libraries, and /mnt/secure hidden items cannot be replaced even if the source code is available. Will the GPG code do any good without the keys? I'm not opposed to getting PB to act on the level with respect to open-sourced code, but I don't see that it will necessarily open the platform to modification if they do. It shouldn't if the Linux system programmers have done their job right.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
Tulapi
Connoisseur
Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook pro 602, Nook Simple Touch, Inkbook Classic 2, T63 JDRead
I posted a link to this topic in the russian forum.
Here is the Google translation of a partial answer by a representative of Pocketbook :

"On obtaining the source code.
If you want to receive them, please write a formal letter to the mailbox help@pocketbook.ua
Subject: Source code.

I beg to present your request in correct form, detailing your request.
Response to the letter you receive either of the box, or you will start to carry on a conversation one of the developers."

(but do they speak english ? Maybe someone here can help to write it in russian ?)
Tulapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
alexstsv
alexstsv began at the beginning.

Device: Azbooka 516, PocketBook 902
I wrote a letter to Help@pocketbook.ua. Let's see what they answer.
While I agree with rkomar.
They do not open their achievements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Might be a good idea to contact gpl-violations.org and the GNU foundation itself as they are more likely to get results.
It would be very good.
alexstsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
zebrella
zebrella began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 602, PB IQ 701, Nook
Is it me or in the thread linked by Tulapi, Housekeeper mentions a 2.1.1 fw with sorting capabilities and a new bookshelf?

Does anyone has more info about it?
zebrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
alexstsv

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrella View Post
Is it me or in the thread linked by Tulapi, Housekeeper mentions a 2.1.1 fw with sorting capabilities and a new bookshelf?

Does anyone has more info about it?
http://translate.google.ru/translate...hp%3Ft%3D18824

they promise to do so, saying that now being worked on.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
zebrella
zebrella began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 602, PB IQ 701, Nook
Thank you Alexstsv!
zebrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
I did mail directly in the first place, and got no reply at all. It's what I've come to expect.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
alexstsv

root for 60x/90x
http://translate.google.ru/translate...hp%3Ft%3D19171
Old 05-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
Observer
Observer began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
Hello, I would like to tell a story which was touched upon by LoneTech but there are some other interesting details in it. I would appreciate if somebody let me know his or her opinion. To my mind, the situation is not quite usual. I have bought e-book Pocketbook 902. One of its advantages consisted in the possibility to use a lot of different dictionaries. Time to time, the company puts new versions of soft on their site with the list of improvements. One day, I could not resist and installed a new version 2.05. Once this happened, I found that many dictionaries turned into trial ones! And, the company kindly sugegsted to buy the dictionaries form the previous list for additional money.
The company explained that the total number of available dictionaries did not change. This is true but there are special circumstances which the company prefers not to see.
1) There has been no warning that the significant part of dictionaries is the trial version.
2) Some users need not a big total number but some special dictionaries and it was one of motivation why they choose to buy Pocketbook.
3) With soft of the versions 2.01 – 2. 04, all the dictionaries were full. Only after 2.05 version they become trial.
4) The company did not notify users that they would lost the possibility to use full versions after installing 2.05 version of dictionaries but simply "seduced" them by a new version of soft.
5) The change turned out to be irreversible: return from 2.05 to 2.03 or 2.04 versions of soft does not help.
6) Once version 2.05 appeared, the company removed links to the versions 2.03 and 2.04 immediately.
7) Earlier, the company informed users that versions 2.01 and 2.02 contain a critical bag, so if somebody has a device with versions 2.01 or 2.02, it is necessary to update immediately to 2.03 and only afterwards more recent versions (2.04, 2.05, etc.) may be installed. In spite of this, the key version 2.03 disappeared from the company site almost immediately after version 2.05 had appeared, so the company "forgot" about its own warning.
8) The key event happened on 14 March. Many users on Forum appealed to Company with the ask to make official declaration. Their employee on Forum promised this many times but up to now there is no such a declaration.
9) Instead, after indignation of many users on Forum, they informed them (on Forum only, not on the official site) that Company makes a "gift" – 4 free dictionaries - to 50 users for active discussion of quality of soft, useful suggestions, etc. I was an active critic of what the Company did with dictionaries and I received a letter as a private message that I am included in this number of lucky men. Surely, I rejected this proposal.

To what extent such a behavior of company compiles with generally accepted standards? Did you encounter something like this with Sony, Kindle or any other companies? It is very interesting to compare. Thank you in advance.
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:25 AM   #13
sergio13
Connoisseur
sergio13 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm agree with you... and i'm angry.

I find this link : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119973. There are links of 2.0.3 versions ...
But only for x02
sergio13 is offline   Reply With Quote