Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
kindleuser
kindleuser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Last page read and privacy

I have a few mobi files that I put on my kindle that are work related documents converted to mobi format. I have noticed that for some reason the Kindle for Android app syncs the last page read with my Kindle. I love this feature except I'm worried about what info is being uploaded to Amazon. Here are some questions:
  • What identifying characteristics (or data) are uploaded to Amazon Servers?
  • How does Amazon use or share this info? Some of these files might have personal info or work related details.
  • Does anybody know how to prevent Amazon from uploading identifying characteristics but still allow me to sync last page read information?

Thanks.
kindleuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Normally, Amazon does not sync non-Amazon documents. There is a kludge that someone came up with, where you can use Calibre or something to fake up the ISBN number. But, normally, it does not look at non-Amazon stuff. Don't know how you managed to do that on a personal document.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
kindleuser
kindleuser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I use Calibre to convert my pdf documents and sync them to both my Kindle and my phone. This way I don't have to think about where I'm reading them (I have the latest version of Calibre installed). I'm wondering if that's what is somehow synchronizing the books.

Susan, do you remember where you read about this Calibre "feature"?

<Edit>I found the post that showed me how to fetch annotations in Calibre:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=817749

However, I'm still not sure if that's what triggered this. I think personal file sync started happening after the 3.1 upgrade. I am not putting anything in the ISBN number field.
</Edit>

Last edited by kindleuser; 03-05-2011 at 06:54 PM.
kindleuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleuser View Post
I use Calibre to convert my pdf documents and sync them to both my Kindle and my phone. This way I don't have to think about where I'm reading them (I have the latest version of Calibre installed). I'm wondering if that's what is somehow synchronizing the books.

Susan, do you remember where you read about this Calibre "feature"?

<Edit>I found the post that showed me how to fetch annotations in Calibre:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=817749

However, I'm still not sure if that's what triggered this. I think personal file sync started happening after the 3.1 upgrade. I am not putting anything in the ISBN number field.
</Edit>
Here is the thread Re: the Calibre "feature"

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=113315&page=9

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote