Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Question Anyone got the update to 2.2 for Dell Streak?

Anyone?
There are lots of announcements on various sites, starting November 15th.
But so far I didn't find any dump or user report.
Anyone?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
My freind at my local Amateur Radio Club bought a Streak just over a week ago ... He hadn't had the update last night !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
My freind at my local Amateur Radio Club bought a Streak just over a week ago ... He hadn't had the update last night !
As far as I know, they roll out region by region.
Some reports state, UK would be first...
Should arrive any minute now...At the latest end of November...
Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 AM   #4
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
As far as I know, they roll out region by region.
Some reports state, UK would be first...
Should arrive any minute now...At the latest end of November...
Lets hope so, I like 2.2, we have it on my wifes new HTC Desire HD, Fantastic
Old 11-25-2010, 04:37 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
If you cannot get it yet via searching from an update via your handset (settings -- about phone -- system updates) then read the following guide:

http://android.modaco.com/content/de...2-upgrade-pkg/

You have to register to download the files. You can also try Streaksmart. At http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/11/h...ll-streak.html is a special section on upgrading. XDA-developers also has a special section on the Streak.

I have just installed the official 2.2 this morning, after running an unofficial version for about 2 weeks. Yes, the Streak on 2.2 puts Steve Jobs to shame again. Watching the German ARD news Flash video every day, runs great.

But, if you want to root it, Androot doesn't work. The free app Z4root does.

Last edited by HansTWN; 11-25-2010 at 05:12 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:41 AM   #6
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

HansTWIN Thanks I'll point my friend to the update,
Old 11-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
I got mine from Dell UK, unlocked. I installed the official update from here. This is the newer Nov 5 build.

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GAUSB1A110700

Now running 2.2. It feels better after rooting and removed all the junk apps.

I have 2 niggling problems:
-the phone unlock slider sometimes does not work, making you lock and retry a few times.
-Letters typed from the keypad sometimes doesnt how up. But have observed this in the 3-UK Skype app only.

Other than this, 2.2 is pretty good and also seems to have better battery life.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
I got mine from Dell UK, unlocked. I installed the official update from here. This is the newer Nov 5 build.

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GAUSB1A110700

Now running 2.2. It feels better after rooting and removed all the junk apps.

I have 2 niggling problems:
-the phone unlock slider sometimes does not work, making you lock and retry a few times.
-Letters typed from the keypad sometimes doesnt how up. But have observed this in the 3-UK Skype app only.

Other than this, 2.2 is pretty good and also seems to have better battery life.
I looked up your link. It points to the same file as my link. Version number 315.

As I read from his previous posts mgmueller is on 2.1 8105. So he cannot run the upgrade file directly (it only works from the original 1.6 -- 6667 or something). There is a way to get from the unofficial ROMs to the official 2.2 by flashing 3 files via fastboot, but many users report getting stuck on the way and of problems with the camcorder and the display rotation being carried over so I took the long route (2.2 -> 2.1 -> 1.6 4339 -> flash 6667 recovery image -> official 1.6 -> official 2.2. Process as outlined in the thread I gave. I had problem going from 1.6 4339 to the official 1.6, flashing the recovery image via fastboot finally got me there.

If you search on XDA-developers and/or Modaco there is a solution to the "sticky slider" by changing a setting in /system/build.prop either with the paid app Root Explorer or using ADB. I had that problem in 2.1, but not in any of the 2.2s I have used.

Last edited by HansTWN; 11-25-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Finally....2.2

Finally I took the time to go for 2.2.
I'm glad I did so.
I've used http://android.modaco.com/content/de...2-upgrade-pkg/ without significant problems. Thanks to HansTWN for pointing this out.

Interesting, how big the difference between Samsung Galaxy Tab and Dell Streak is.
Both did expand the OS enormously.
One minor complaint towards Dell: There's a bit of bloatware pre-installed, no biggy though.

I'll test the performance later on. In comparison to 2.1 I had before. And to iPhone4 and Samsung Galaxy Tab.
But even without any boost in performance, the design itself already is totally worth the upgrade. Still a shame, Dell didn't come with 2.2 or at least 2.1 instead of the '"$"$()"!"?= 1.6...

BTW: I find Android way more fun than iOS. So much more options...
Old 12-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Finally I took the time to go for 2.2.
I'm glad I did so.
I've used http://android.modaco.com/content/de...2-upgrade-pkg/ without significant problems. Thanks to HansTWN for pointing this out.

Interesting, how big the difference between Samsung Galaxy Tab and Dell Streak is.
Both did expand the OS enormously.
One minor complaint towards Dell: There's a bit of bloatware pre-installed, no biggy though.

I'll test the performance later on. In comparison to 2.1 I had before. And to iPhone4 and Samsung Galaxy Tab.
But even without any boost in performance, the design itself already is totally worth the upgrade. Still a shame, Dell didn't come with 2.2 or at least 2.1 instead of the '"$"$()"!"?= 1.6...

BTW: I find Android way more fun than iOS. So much more options...
Quite easy to get rid of the bloatware. Root the device, then use Titanium Backup (free version is enough) to delete the programs you don't want/need. Works for any Android device.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The easiest way to root is to download z4root app from the market. It is confirmed to work with the official Froyo update of Dell Streak.

It is really simple with that app.

1) Download the app and install it.
2) Toggle on Debug Mode.
3) Run the app.
4) Click on "Root me"

And that's it!
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard

There is a new bug fix update out from Dell.

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/Package...8_12821_00.pkg

I am on a trip, so I don't want to try it until I get home at the end of next week. Therefore I cannot report anything from my personal experience. Most importantly the issue with the stock browser and Dolphin HD seems to have been fixed, and everything seems faster; that is what others report.

Last edited by HansTWN; 12-10-2010 at 01:43 AM.