Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 06:01 AM   #16
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Thanks
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #17
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almas View Post
I've been able to download books that I haven't been able to buy because of geographical restrictions. The rules would be different for borrowed books because you can't really copy them and after the lending period expires, you can't view the book anymore. So you never really get to keep a copy.
That makes it most definitely worth getting a membership. Will give it a try when you get a reply from your contact.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #18
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Will give it a try when you get a reply from your contact.
I did get a reply. I edited the post yesterday. The info added after the dotted kine in italics is what she replied with
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #19
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I work in Philadelphia, have their library card, and didn't know that Philly's web site is better than the suburban ones until I saw this thread.

Buried in the Philadelphia library menus I found that they have EBSCOhost MasterFILE Premium, which gives you access to lots of magazines and journals not on the open internet, typically with maybe a couple weeks delay after the publication date. This was available state-wide (i.e. through most local Pennsylvania public library web sites) until this year, when they switched over to WilsonWeb, which I find slow and frustrating to use.

Hopefully the international subscribers are getting everything we get.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-06-2010 at 07:54 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #20
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Adding EBSCOHost to that is pretty sweet if it is included, certainly.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #21
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almas View Post
I did get a reply. I edited the post yesterday. The info added after the dotted kine in italics is what she replied with
Thanks! this is the reply I got from the “Ask a Librarian” link

Thank you for your interest in securing a Free Library of Philadelphia library card. The library system is currently accepting applications from oversees residents.
In order to obtain a card we ask that you fill out the following application http://www.freelibrary.org/registrat...pplication.pdf and mail it to us along with a $15 payment in U.S. dollars. As an alternate to our overseas patrons who might have trouble sending a payment in U.S. dollars we are allowing you to send a clear scanned copy of the application to erefcpsd (insert you know what here) freelibrary.org If anything is unclear please type the information in the text of email as well.
5 to 10 business days after we have received your application we will send you a card number along with information about how to logon and pay via credit card the $15 yearly fee. We will allow you 2 business days to complete the payment before deleting the record. Once you have made the payment please email a confirmation to erefcpsd (insert you know what here) freelibrary.org so we can activate your card. At this time we are still mailing physical cards but anticipate that might change due to mailing costs.

Thank you for contacting the Free Library of Philadelphia.

General Information Department
1901 Vine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
215-686-5322
www.freelibrary.org

Last edited by columbus; 08-08-2010 at 06:53 AM. Reason: edited email
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #22
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Columbus, thank you for the info, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to leave the email addy in your post. It's never a good idea to post an email address on the Net, you may be sending tons of spam their way...
Old 08-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #23
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
erefcpsd@freelibrary.org
[/url]
hi

is that email address correct, as it bounces when I use it??
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #24
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Should be the right e-mail. I got the same one, haven't tried it though so it's possible it bounces.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #25
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
How does lending library books work? Are they only allowed to lend out one copy at a time, like a physical library?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #26
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
How does lending library books work? Are they only allowed to lend out one copy at a time, like a physical library?
The libraries using the overdrive service can "buy" a set number of copies. For example, my library "buys" 5 copies of each title, so 5 copies at a time can be on loan. When someone "returns" one of the copies, it can be loaned out to the next person.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #27
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Thank you. So there is a numerical restriction.
I guess if there were not we would no longer have any authors.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #28
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Quote:

Thank you for your interest in securing a Free Library of Philadelphia library card. The library system is currently accepting applications from oversees residents.
In order to obtain a card we ask that you fill out the following application http://www.freelibrary.org/registrat...pplication.pdf and mail it to us along with a $15 payment in U.S. dollars. As an alternate to our overseas patrons who might have trouble sending a payment in U.S. dollars we are allowing you to send a clear scanned copy of the application to erefcpsd@freelibrary.org If anything is unclear please type the information in the text of email as well.
5 to 10 business days after we have received your application we will send you a card number along with information about how to logon and pay via credit card the $15 yearly fee. We will allow you 2 business days to complete the payment before deleting the record. Once you have made the payment please email a confirmation to erefcpsd@freelibrary.org so we can activate your card. At this time we are still mailing physical cards but anticipate that might change due to mailing costs.

Thank you for contacting the Free Library of Philadelphia.

General Information Department
1901 Vine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
215-686-5322
www.freelibrary.org
That's awesome! I'm glad they are working out a system for overseas memberships!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #29
Ad2
Enthusiast
Ad2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for the info on Philly library. I have a question before I join. I live in Australia and have a nook. I have joined an Aust library to download eBooks but they download in .acsm format. I can read the book on Adobe Digital Editions on my computer but can't download them to my nook. And calibre won't convert them to ePub.

I thought it might be because I haven't registered my nook. Can I register it even though I am in Australia?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Ad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:44 AM   #30
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad2 View Post
Thanks for the info on Philly library. I have a question before I join. I live in Australia and have a nook. I have joined an Aust library to download eBooks but they download in .acsm format. I can read the book on Adobe Digital Editions on my computer but can't download them to my nook. And calibre won't convert them to ePub.

I thought it might be because I haven't registered my nook. Can I register it even though I am in Australia?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
You might have better luck with your question in the Barnes & Noble forum, but I'll try to give you some answers.

The .acms file can only be opened by Adobe Digital Edition to download the actual ePub file. When you open it, ADE downloads the file and puts it in the "Digital Editions" folder in your documents folder. This epub file is protected by DRM, so you cannot convert it. However, you should normally be able to transfer it to your Nook using ADE, have you tried it?

I don't have a Nook, but in theory, if you connect any reader to your computer while ADE is running, you should get a dialog box asking you if you want to authorize this device. If you click Yes, you will then be able to transfer the book from ADE to your device.

Hope this helps. If not, go to the forum I linked to above for more help

Tags
australia, free library, new zealand, non-us, philadelphia