Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2014, 01:18 AM   #1
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Note-taking capabilities of PRS-T2

My search for a replacement of PRS-T1 is down to the choice between another T1 and T2. Can anyone tell me, can you still hold a word to select it, then drag the edges of the selection to extend it, finally push a Highlight button or a Add Note button? And freehand mode is still accessible at only two clicks (menu, then the icon)?

Also, I had several annoyances with T1. I wonder whether they are gone in T2:
1) When selecting a word in the lower part of the screen, it gets obscured by the dictionary definition of the word.
2) The same with freehand drawing, except that it is the top-left corner which is obscured.

Thanks.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:56 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
My search for a replacement of PRS-T1 is down to the choice between another T1 and T2. Can anyone tell me, can you still hold a word to select it, then drag the edges of the selection to extend it, finally push a Highlight button or a Add Note button? And freehand mode is still accessible at only two clicks (menu, then the icon)?
My T2 appears to work exactly like this. The icon says "Handwriting" but I assume it's the same as "Freehand."

Quote:
Also, I had several annoyances with T1. I wonder whether they are gone in T2:
1) When selecting a word in the lower part of the screen, it gets obscured by the dictionary definition of the word.
2) The same with freehand drawing, except that it is the top-left corner which is obscured.
The T2 appears to also have the exact same faults. I hardly ever highlight so I had to try it out. The dictionary still covers the bottom highlighted words. You just have to drag "blind" which is kind of a pain. The Handwriting icons cover a word (or two) in the top left corner -- I suppose they would cover more if the margins were smaller. Sorry I don't have better news.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-18-2014 at 06:03 AM. Reason: changed "top right" to "top left"
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2014, 04:59 AM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Sorry I don't have better news.
Actually, after the nightmarish experience with Pocketbook's highlighting support, the news that PRS-T2 is no worse than PRS-T1 is good news. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
...I hardly ever highlight so I had to try it out. The dictionary still covers the bottom highlighted words. You just have to drag "blind" which is kind of a pain...
With my T1 when one highlights a word at the bottom of the page the dictionary indeed comes up, but the moment one starts dragging to select some more words the dictionary immediately disappears. Others with T1s and T2s have stated, including in these forums, that is how their readers also react.

If you have to drag "blind" then there is something wrong.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
With my T1 when one highlights a word at the bottom of the page the dictionary indeed comes up, but the moment one starts dragging to select some more words the dictionary immediately disappears. Others with T1s and T2s have stated, including in these forums, that is how their readers also react.

If you have to drag "blind" then there is something wrong.
You drag "blind" when you first start dragging. In other words, if you tap and hold a word on the bottom of the page, and the dictionary comes up and covers it -- then if you lift your finger -- you can't find the word again because it's still under the dictionary definition. You have to start dragging "blind" to get the definition to go away. If, on the other hand, you tap and hold a word anywhere else on the page, you can lift your finger, and then go back and start dragging. Sony should have set it up so that the definition popped up on the top of the screen when you tapped and held a word on the bottom part of the screen. Seems like the obvious solution.
Advert
Old 10-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You drag "blind" when you first start dragging. In other words, if you tap and hold a word on the bottom of the page, and the dictionary comes up and covers it...
Simple solution to that is to know in which direction one is going to highlight before one starts, and that I would have thought one would be well aware of before even starting to select and highlight.

Quote:
...-- then if you lift your finger -- you can't find the word again because it's still under the dictionary definition...
One just taps the page, which clears the overlay, and then extends the existing highlight - but there again, I am not sure why one would want to lift ones finger in the first place (for myself I can never recall having done so).

I guess it depends on ones dexterity and at least a minimal level of forethought, but I am a fat fingered, aged and forgetful male, and have never had a problem with this myself.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Simple solution to that is to know in which direction one is going to highlight before one starts, and that I would have thought one would be well aware of before even starting to select and highlight.
I understand that. I was just trying to let the OP know that it appears the T2 worked the same as the T1

Quote:
One just taps the page, which clears the overlay, and then extends the existing highlight - ...
That doesn't work for me on the T2. I tried it, thinking it might. The tap clears the overlay and the highlighted word. Is there any specific part of the page where you have to to tap?

Not being much of a highlighter, this isn't a big deal to me, but it still seems like Sony should have (or at least could have) designed the software to display the dictionary definition at the top of the page when tapping a word near the bottom.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-20-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
pepak
Guru

Quote:
when one highlights a word at the bottom of the page the dictionary indeed comes up, but the moment one starts dragging to select some more words the dictionary immediately disappears.
But it reappears the moment you stop dragging, and given the PRS-T1's knack for not selecting just the right amount, this can be tedious. Also I have found that it very much depends on the direction of the dragging.

Anyway, this annoyance I can live with - it still is miles better than any competition, apparently :-(((
Old 10-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
AnotherCat

Quote:
...That doesn't work for me on the T2. I tried it, thinking it might. The tap clears the overlay and the highlighted word. Is there any specific part of the page where you have to to tap?...
Yes, one taps on "Highlight" and grabs the highlighted selection again and extends or contracts the highlight in the direction wanted (just as one has to do anywhere on the page if one takes one finger off, or if without taking ones finger off one wants to change the direction of extending a highlight).

Quote:
...but it still seems like Sony should have (or at least could have) designed the software to display the dictionary definition at the top of the page when tapping a word near the bottom...
I couldn't comment on that matter at all as I was not part of the software team, so I do not know what design and implementation constraints existed upon their software development. For myself, and I know for a others I know, the current implementation is not a problem once one, like most things (especially those involving swipes, gestures, etc.), understands it.

Quote:
...But it reappears the moment you stop dragging, and given the PRS-T1's knack for not selecting just the right amount, this can be tedious. Also I have found that it very much depends on the direction of the dragging...
It only reappears if one takes ones finger off the screen so don't take your finger off until you have made the correct selection. If one does accidently take ones finger off one can just tap "Highlight" and grab the already made selection and extend or contract as described above.

As you say, and as far as I have found, in a single grab of a word or series of words one can only extend in one direction, but this applies no matter where one is on the page, not just the bottom. The solution is as above, tap "highlight", etc.