Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Kindle 3 + PDFs: how do the page buttons work in landscape?

When viewing a a portrait-format PDF in landscape mode, does the page turn button automatically jump down to the next unviewed section of the page and then at the bottom, jump to the top of the next page? The K3 manual is not clear on this and I've seen some K3 review videos where one is panning around a PDF document, which is a horrible thought on an e-ink display. I think margin trimming is automatic. How well is that working and does it work in all orientations?

I'm thinking about getting a K3 but do wish the screen resolution is higher. Other than regular books, I was thinking of viewing comics/manga on the device. I converted some to the target resolution and in portrait, some text is borderline legible. Then I thought it may be a good idea to convert the images to match the Kindle's landscape resolution so if portrait is too small, I could go to landscape to see it better. But if landscape means having to pan the screen down, hit next page, pan the view back up to the top, etc, then it seems like too much work. If I can get by with just the Next Page button, then it would be fine.

The irex 800 is better in terms of resolution but too expensive and the company is basically dead. The DX has the resolution but is too big physically. When will we ever get denser/higher resolution screens? For color, they will need to use 3-4 pixels to create a single color pixel so either those screens will be at half the current resolution or hopefully, we will get 2x resolution monochrome screens as a by-product.

Last edited by badbob001; 09-24-2010 at 01:14 PM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
You see the width of the PDF, and so you don't see the whole length of the page. Yes, next page button jumps down to the next part of the page that you haven't seen yet, and then when you're at the bottom of the page, it goes to the top of the next page.

The panning you've seen in videos is when you are in vertical/portrait mode. Actually, in both rotations, you can choose to zoom in and pan. And in Vertical mode you have "fit to screen" which usually makes everything too small, and in landscape mode you have "fit to width".
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
It jumps to the next section of the page. If it at the bottom of a page then it'll go to the next page.

If your PDF is split into 4 quarters then you need to manually move over to the right column.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Thanks. Does the keyboard do anything for turning pages when in landscape mode? It seems to make sense if the spacebar can be used to go to the next page instead of having to awkwardly use the buttons on the now bottom or top of the device. I suppose someone, while reading in bed, can twitch a well-developed ab muscle to trigger the bottom buttons...
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Jan_C
Jan_C began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle wi-fi
Hi - New user of this forum ... I love it. I was looking for an answer to the question badbob001 asked about the page turning buttons when in landscape mode. I prefer using the landscape mode, but it is tiresome to have to remove my hand holding the side and reach for and find the page turn button. It's impossible to keep eyes on the text and do this. So, I hoped someone would post happy news that a keyboard key can be substituted, but it appears that it's not the case. Thanks for listening ....
Jan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert