Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Dumb sim card questions. Help, please.

I will be taking my iPad overseas for extended time. How best to keep using it without paying through the nose for 3G? I've read that you can replace the micro-sim, but am unclear how that works logistically, and dunno how easy it is to get one where I'm going.

I guess I will have to keep paying for my $30 AT&T unlimited, because I want to remain grandfathered in. Do I just get off the plane and try to buy a local sim card? Will all my data be unaffected and I just pop in a local sim? I tried looking for answers online, but have only pieced together bits of info and am unclear about the whole process. I could use a lot of feedback, please.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, you just need a local SIM that has some kind of data allowance. Note that, if you're visiting a country where the iPad isn't sold, you'll almost certainly have to buy a full-size SIM and cut it down to size.

Which country is it that you're going to?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, you just need a local SIM that has some kind of data allowance. Note that, if you're visiting a country where the iPad isn't sold, you'll almost certainly have to buy a full-size SIM and cut it down to size.

Which country is it that you're going to?
Hong Kong first; then other places I haven't decided on, probably back and forth, which means I will need to find sims in various countries? I read that iPad sales just started in Hong Kong. I dunno whether that means I can get micro-sims easily, though. Dunno how widespread they are outside of iPad use. Do you know whether there are businesses that sell cut-down micro-sims if needed? I think it might be awkward for me to be carrying from country to country the tools to do a proper cut-down. And I'd rather plug and use immediately, of course.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As far as I know, the iPad and iPhone 4 are currently the only devices on the market which use microSIM cards, so if you go somewhere that neither is sold, you might struggle to find a microSIM card.

I've never tried cutting a SIM down myself, but looking at the instructions on the internet for doing it, all you need is a ruler and a pair of nail scissors.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
As far as I know, the iPad and iPhone 4 are currently the only devices on the market which use microSIM cards, so if you go somewhere that neither is sold, you might struggle to find a microSIM card.

I've never tried cutting a SIM down myself, but looking at the instructions on the internet for doing it, all you need is a ruler and a pair of nail scissors.
Thanks. Helpful knowing that.

I've never cut one, either. Maybe I will try before I go, to see whether I can do it properly. I bookmarked this link, which says I need more tools, but maybe they're not all needed?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/09/h...of-mobile-fre/
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Can you get free "pay as you go" SIMs where you live? They're easily available here in the UK. Perhaps you could get one of those and practise before you go?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Can you get free "pay as you go" SIMs where you live? They're easily available here in the UK. Perhaps you could get one of those and practise before you go?
I dunno, but I will check. I'm tech inept, and am picturing myself with a pile of ruined sims overseas.