Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
mr_magicfingers
mr_magicfingers began at the beginning.

Device: none
Surprised at how hard to read the 600 was

Hi all,

went to check out the new Sony readers this week and was really surprised at how much harder the 600 screen was to read compared to the 505 and 300. I found it much darker than the other screens, more gray than white.

I'd been hoping the 600 would be my first reader, but it just goes to show that you can't judge everything from the internet. I sat and played with it for a while and just decided that it wasn't comfortable enough for me to use regularly.

Not sure if all the touchscreen models will be like that but might have to rethink my reader purchase, be interesting to see what txtr come up with when it's released, or the upcoming iliad 8" reader.

Cheers,

Justin.
mr_magicfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
justincoe
justincoe has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505 amd PRS-600
Yah, you need to pick whichever works the best for you. I remembered when I first got my PRS-505 I was totally dismayed and annoyed by the glares of the screen. This was coming from the habit of reading pbook that whichever angles would work for reading. After several sessions with PRs-505, I was able to automatically avoid the angles that would generate the most glares, and actually loving the unit. It was the same for Prs-600, granted that the texts on this unit are not as sharp as that on PRS-505. But, they are very readable, and PRS-606 is now the primary reader for me for I use the dictionary feature a lot. Now I use PRS-505 as the dedicated reader for reading in bed with the light wedge.
justincoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
This week I saw the 300 and the 600 side by side; the difference was remarkable; the 300 had clearly more contrast and less glare and I'm glad I bought that one instead of the feature rich 600.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
I have both the 300 and 600 but gave the 300 to my brother and kept the 600 myself. I liked the touch screen abilities the most, easier to go through the menu's and I liked the big screen better. I have no trouble reading it and just like you do with a book, you search for the most comfortable way to hold it. I might not even use all the options the 600 give me, but for reading I just liked this one the best, even if contrast is less compared to the 300.
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I find that with every new device,there's always a period of adjustment,and there's always something that is found to be "missing".When I got my first reader,it took me a while to get used to it...I even considered returning it-if I kept waiting for the next best thing,or the ideal,I might never buy any of them.From the three sony readers I have owned thus far,I still prefer the screen of the 505 to that of the 700 and now the 600. I have not seen the 300 in person (had not seen the 600 until three days ago when it was sent as a replacement)....ultimately you have to choose what works best for your needs,and for most of us that "ideal" isn't out there-once you have it,you tend to think of something that may or may not be missing...but for me,the readers I have owned so far have served most of my purposes and requirements,otherwise I never would've bought them...(and my back is thanking me profusely as I no longer overburden my suitcases,briefcases or pocketbooks with mutliple books!)
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
I can pretty much guarantee that if no one had ever seen another ebook reader to compare with the 600, 95 percent of people wouldn't have the slightest problem with the readability of the 600.

After using the 600 for a month now, I can officially say that the contrast doesn't bother me in the slightest. As first, like everyone else, I was comparing it the 300 and 505. And yes, there is a difference. But after you start using the 600 for a few weeks you stop thinking about it and begin to enjoy how much faster and easier the touchscreen is to use.

Also, using a cover (a real one and not the crappy sleeve that it comes with) helps deflect ambient light, and using a lamp at night makes the contrast a non-issue.

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 10-10-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: brain damage
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
I can pretty much guarantee that if no one had ever seen another ebook reader to compare with the 600, 95 percent of people wouldn't have the slightest problem with the readability of the 600.

After using the 600 for a month now, I can officially say that the contrast doesn't bother me in the slightest. As first, like everyone else, I was comparing it the 300 and 505. And yes, there is a difference. But after you start using the 600 for a few weeks you stop thinking about it and begin to enjoy how much faster and easier the touchscreen is to use.

Also, using a cover (a real one and not the crappy sleeve that it comes with) helps deflect ambient light, and using a lamp at night makes the contrast a non-issue.
I totally agree.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
In my opinion it's a tradeoff you have to make for yourself. Yes, from what I have seen the 505 is clearer, or at least has more contrast than the 600. Main reason for this is, of course, the touchscreen on the 600.

Is that touchscreen worth it? For me, definitely. I use it extensively to write notes and annotations during lectures and highlight parts of books when studying - not even so much to read up on later, but as a tool to help me remember (I learn something easier when I'm writing it down). The PRS-600 is the ideal scratchpad in that regard (which saves a lot of poor trees, believe you me).

While the contrast is somewhat less than with other books, it is still very well readable (though this being the first eReader I have seen, I might be somewhat biased here) - I have yet to encounter a situation where I had to strain my eyes to read the screen, which is really all that matters for me. In that regard, it is clear 'enough' for me. Whether it will be for you is a question of personal taste and preference I guess.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I think it all depends on what you want your device for. If you are going to be reading for recreation, then I would go for portability and screen quality, but if, like FragFrog, you will be using it for research or study, you might be willing to sacrifice clarity for the other features.

I have a 505 and I don't think I could ever like reading on a 600.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
dax123
Connoisseur

All I do is reading for recreation, I hardly if ever use all the extra's the 600 has to offer. For me it's good enough, I choose the comfort of the touch screen and bigger screen of the 600 over the clarity of the screen of my 300. And I don't regret it.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #11
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
I've been reading these comments with interest. I bought the 600 a few weeks ago and, at first, I had my misgivings as to whether it would become just an expensive toy that I'd tire of and it would end up gathering dust. However, now that I've used it for a while, I am hoping that no one gives me a paper book for Christmas and I'm going to find it difficult to borrow a book from our library unless it is an ebook. Yes, the contrast is somewhat low, but I find the characters very sharp. What I've discovered about the low contrast is that it is actually easier on my eyes and I can read for a much longer time without getting too tired. I'm 72, by the way. So I don't have the stamina I had 20 years ago. I find that I can only read for an hour or so and my eyes start to lose focus, but not with the Sony reader. Why the should be, I can't say. Perhaps there is an optometrist on this forum who can expain it. In any case, for me, the low contrast is a benefit.

Dave W
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #12
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dax123 View Post
I have both the 300 and 600 but gave the 300 to my brother and kept the 600 myself. I liked the touch screen abilities the most, easier to go through the menu's and I liked the big screen better. I have no trouble reading it and just like you do with a book, you search for the most comfortable way to hold it. I might not even use all the options the 600 give me, but for reading I just liked this one the best, even if contrast is less compared to the 300.
You gave your brother a pink reader! Hope he's old enough to protect himself on the playground!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
dax123
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
You gave your brother a pink reader! Hope he's old enough to protect himself on the playground!
He's almost 50 and has enough self confidence to use a pink e-reader, although I think he'll mostly use it at home and not so much at his work or on the go.

I offered to buy him a silver one if he wanted, but he wanted my pink one.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #14
Coreman
Coreman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I've been reading these comments with interest. I bought the 600 a few weeks ago and, at first, I had my misgivings as to whether it would become just an expensive toy that I'd tire of and it would end up gathering dust. However, now that I've used it for a while, I am hoping that no one gives me a paper book for Christmas and I'm going to find it difficult to borrow a book from our library unless it is an ebook. Yes, the contrast is somewhat low, but I find the characters very sharp. What I've discovered about the low contrast is that it is actually easier on my eyes and I can read for a much longer time without getting too tired. I'm 72, by the way. So I don't have the stamina I had 20 years ago. I find that I can only read for an hour or so and my eyes start to lose focus, but not with the Sony reader. Why the should be, I can't say. Perhaps there is an optometrist on this forum who can expain it. In any case, for me, the low contrast is a benefit.

Dave W
I'm 55 and my 600 is the first e-reader I've owned. I looked at 505 and 300 and while the print was a bit sharper, I found the slightly lower contrast on the 600 to be more comfortable for me as well. Must be something about older eyes (I wear bifocals as well)...but I am loving the zoom/larger screen, dictionary, touch screen, and Instant On (from sleep).
Coreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
How many different font sizes on the 600?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote