Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 05:30 AM   #16
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for that, Stitchawl. Ian Rankin is in fact a local author, and his Rebus novels are very well known here. He's not amongst my personal favourites, but I'm in a minority.

The first Michael Connelly I read was The Lincoln Lawyer, which I thought far better than most other "courtoom dramas" I've come across. I'm now working through the Harry Bosch series.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #17
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Thanks for that, Stitchawl. Ian Rankin is in fact a local author, and his Rebus novels are very well known here. He's not amongst my personal favourites, but I'm in a minority.
Mike, does Rankin portray an accurate picture of Edinburgh, and of Scotland in general, albeit slanted to what a cop would see? It's a country I've always wanted to visit. One day we'll tour all of Great Brittan by motorcycle... It's still in the 'thinking about it' stage. We've been all through Europe and most of Asia by bike, but still have your neck of the woods to explore. From Rankin's discriptions, I really, REALLY want to see it!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Mike, does Rankin portray an accurate picture of Edinburgh, and of Scotland in general, albeit slanted to what a cop would see? It's a country I've always wanted to visit. Stitchawl
Not really. If he did, I don't think the books would be as popular as they are. He focuses on the seemier side of Edinburgh life. Nothing wrong with that. But it's not really a representative picture.

Another local author worth reading is Alexander McCall Smith. Again, his view of the city is not representative, but it's definitely a different viewpoint from Rankin's.

I would definitely encourage you to go ahead with your trip. Scotland is a terrific place to visit, and Edinburgh's a wonderful city. (England might be worth a quick look as well if you have a day or so to spare.)
Old 08-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Oh, most definitely! I've only just broached the surface of the 'Harry Bosch' series with the first book, but look forward to reading the next ones! There just isn't enough time to read!!!!
all righty then. thanks.

Quote:
Anyone have an extra 'Day Stretcher?'
*raises hand* i need one of those too please !

Quote:
But... if you enjoyed Connelly, please do take a look at Ian Rankin and his Inspector Rebus series. Try to start with book #1 if you can. Just a shade darker than Connelly, but even more engrossing!
i've actually read several of the Rebus books, but in french and not in order, since i got them from the library. i liked them and i wanted to start from the beginning and read the whole thing in english, but if memory serves the series is available as ebooks starting from book number 17, or something. so i've just been waiting for the first books to become available.

Quote:
I would definitely encourage you to go ahead with your trip. Scotland is a terrific place to visit, and Edinburgh's a wonderful city. (England might be worth a quick look as well if you have a day or so to spare.)
spoken like a true scot !

scotland is high on my list of places to visit as well. i've got a friend who lived for 3 years in edimbourgh and when he speaks english he has a scottish accent, i love listening to it !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #20
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not really. If he did, I don't think the books would be as popular as they are. He focuses on the seemier side of Edinburgh life. Nothing wrong with that. But it's not really a representative picture.
Often the seemier side is more ... more.... er.... interesting!
The inside of the Hilton hotel looks the same in New York, Paris, or Bangkok.

Quote:
Another local author worth reading is Alexander McCall Smith. Again, his view of the city is not representative, but it's definitely a different viewpoint from Rankin's.
Thanks! I'll keep my eyes open for his work.

Quote:
I would definitely encourage you to go ahead with your trip. Scotland is a terrific place to visit, and Edinburgh's a wonderful city.
How many days will it take to get a fair introduction to Scotland? I realize that to really know it would take years, but for just a BBC documentary mixed with travel guide sort of visit, a week? two weeks? three? Our time isn't as much of a factor as is the weather.

Quote:
(England might be worth a quick look as well if you have a day or so to spare.)
Well, we were thinking at least a full morning at Stonehenge, and the rest of the country during the afternoon. We didn't want to miss anything.

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #21
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
How many days will it take to get a fair introduction to Scotland?
I would think you want a minumum of seven to ten days. I would start with a couple of days in Edinburgh, then go fairly quickly up the east coast towards Inverness, cut across to the west, then more slowly down the coast towards Glasgow and the border.

You're right that the weather is a factor. In any period of ten days, you're certain to get a fair bit of rain, although there'll probably be a reasonable amount of sunshine as well. The summers are warm, but rarely hot; the winters are cold, but not that cold (except high in the mountains).

Even more important is the amount of daylight. Mid June to mid July, it's light all day and all evening, until well into the night. December to January, we get only a few short hours of daylight per day.

Quote:
Well, we were thinking at least a full morning at Stonehenge, and the rest of the country during the afternoon.
That sounds about right.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #22
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Well, we were thinking at least a full morning at Stonehenge, and the rest of the country during the afternoon. We didn't want to miss anything.
Stonehenge has a rather unattractive visitor centre. You can inspect the stones in an hour or less. Perhaps you might like to go on to Salisbury, which is a pleasant town with a beautiful cathedral.
And, if you like stately homes, Wilton house is nearby. (Large pile built for the earl of Pembroke; has some very nicely proportioned rooms, works of art, etc.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #23
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Stonehenge has a rather unattractive visitor centre. You can inspect the stones in an hour or less. Perhaps you might like to go on to Salisbury, which is a pleasant town with a beautiful cathedral.
And, if you like stately homes, Wilton house is nearby. (Large pile built for the earl of Pembroke; has some very nicely proportioned rooms, works of art, etc.)
LOL! Honestly, I was just joking about the time to be spent in England. Our thought were a week or so for Scotland, two weeks for England, (friends to visit in three different locations,) and about a week in Wales. When we travel by motorcycle, we generally don't make fixed time plans. Often we get 'captured' by an area and stay longer than we originally thought. We thought we would just spend the night in Val d'Isare, but wound up walking in the mountains around it for a week!

Stitchawl