Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have a Twitter account. I use it to track sports news not to share what I'm doing. I would check this out just to see it, but I don't think I'd like it as a regular thing.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post

Now, had the author decided to tweet once or twice a day as their "character" and let the story unfold over weeks as part of your natural twitter feed, I might even follow them. Maybe that's an idea one of the MR authors could take advantage of and gain some free press over
now thats a cool idea. maybe post some cryptic photos or something too.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Incredibly stupid idea. It would certainly be irritating enough to get me to unsubscribe to the magazine's feed, if I followed it - and possibly even to cancel any real-world subscription to The New Yorker I might have (and it's a good magazine - I probably WOULD subscribe to it IRL, if I could afford it).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
A stunt, nothing more.
Quote:
A stunt and probably both a good and bad one.

With so many tweets (one per minute?!?!) you're going to be filling all of your followers feeds and washing away tweets by anyone else they're following. Unless someone is specifically following to read the story, I'd expect people might unfollow during the coming days of text.

Although from the pov of publicity, it's probably already a success as it'll get people talking about it.
Yep. I heard about this on NPR yesterday. I'd put Egan on my sh*t list for sure now. I read a story by her recently (but even it was a marketing ploy, cause it was an excerpt from Goon Squad) and liked it so actually purchased the Goon Squad and another of her books but this latest stunt had put her on my DNR list.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep. I heard about this on NPR yesterday. I'd put Egan on my sh*t list for sure now. I read a story by her recently (but even it was a marketing ploy, cause it was an excerpt from Goon Squad) and liked it so actually purchased the Goon Squad and another of her books but this latest stunt had put her on my DNR list.
I wouldn't avoid/boycott an author just because of this kind of a PR stunt. Since it won't impact anyone not following her (although I would unfollow her until it was over if I were already following her, but that's just me )

Authors need to try new things to gain more readers and sell more books, so I doubt we can fault the attempt. I just question the execution.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I wouldn't avoid/boycott an author just because of this kind of a PR stunt. Since it won't impact anyone not following her (although I would unfollow her until it was over if I were already following her, but that's just me )

Authors need to try new things to gain more readers and sell more books, so I doubt we can fault the attempt. I just question the execution.
Well, it's my (clearly unfounded) belief that if writers want to sell more/gain more readers they need to write better not pull silly marketing stunts (like writing chapters of a novel as an Excel spreadsheet). But hey, that's just me
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #22
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Twitter is for checking up on what other people are doing and for what is going on in the world at that moment in time (i.e trending). It doesn't feel to me that it's a suitable mechanism for distributing a book, even a short story at that. As a one off stunt for PR, sure. but that doesn't make it any less of a stunt.
Isn't it always the way of business to take something useful to the average user and turn it into an opportunity to advertise?

Early on (in my history on the web), people had home pages. I remember spending a couple of days link-surfing, just to read all the interesting, goofy stuff people put out there. Then there was the internet boom and so much of the web is really just a huge catalog!

Then people starting keeping blogs. So of course, there are blogs for authors, products, companies, etc.

I've never warmed to Facebook, MySpace, etc., but everyone I knew who had an account talked about it in a way to me that sounded like "blog 2.0" - a more interactive way to talk about yourself and read about your friends' lives. Now, companies want me to "friend" them to get access to discounts, coupons, free reads....WTF?! I'm a "friend" of a company?!

So to hear that companies (authors, etc) are using Twitter to market themselves is no real surprise.

This particular thread topic doesn't interest me, but it's because I don't care for "serial" stories, no matter how they're "published", not because they're "misusing" Twitter.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #23
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sure, it's PR stunt.

Do I mind? No.

Should every writer do it? No.

And it is on the The New Yorker's NYerFiction Twitter account, so it's an apt venue (as opposed to the author's Twitter account).
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote