Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
NYT's Pogues on Kindle: 'Wow'

The famous tech journalist David Pogue of the New York Times has put in his official two cents about the Amazon Kindle. His verdict: the screen is "astonishing", Whispernet will "rock your world", and instant book downloading is a bliss. But the device design... needs improvement. David Pogue says:

Quote:
So if the Kindle isn't a home run, it's at least an exciting triple. It gets the important things right: the reading experience, the ruggedness, the super-simple software setup. And that wireless instant download -- wow.

Even though most people will prefer the feel, the cost and the simplicity of a paper book, the Kindle is by far the most successful stab yet at taking reading material into the digital age.

No, it's not the last word in book reading. But once its price comes down and its design gets sleeker, the Kindle may be the beginning of a great new chapter.
Full review: Link

Don't forget to visit the Kindle forums for more hands-on reports from our members.

PS: Just discovered another great hands-on from our friends over at jkOnTheRun.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
"astonishing" after, how many, four years in the market?
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
ajju
Veteran mobile reader
ajju began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1.0
arivero: So it is with the 'famous' reviewers, they don't review technology till it hits the mainstream. In his defense however, Pogue gave a similar (though slightly less enthusiastic) mixed review to the Sony Reader in October 2006. Quoting him about the screen:

Quote:
The reading experience is pleasant, natural and nothing like reading a computer screen.
Here's a link to the review.

Last edited by ajju; 11-27-2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Added link to review
ajju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
As much as I like the NYT they should be careful about these reviews when they have a vested financial interest in the success of this device over any other, as it is the only device they sell their newspaper on.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
lol, it's amazing what a lot of PR money can get you. IMO the Kindle hasn't done anything Bookeen, Sony, Hanlin, and iRex haven't already done short of the integrated wireless subscription service. I personally don't need a keyboard on my books and don't really need the wireless either, provided the device accepts some form or removable media to get content on it. Lastly, the physical design is just too busy and clunky for my taste; perhaps they should have teamed up with Apple or Bang & Olufsen on the design front? But like I said, all this doesn't really matter if you can buy reviews... I mean if you have deep PR pockets
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
lol, it's amazing what a lot of PR money can get you. IMO the Kindle hasn't done anything Bookeen, Sony, Hanlin, and iRex haven't already done short of the integrated wireless subscription service.
Can the 505, Hanlin, or Cybook provide a searchable index of the contents of my ebooks? The Kindle can.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but this is the killer app.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Can the 505, Hanlin, or Cybook provide a searchable index of the contents of my ebooks? The Kindle can.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but this is the killer app.
Yep. It is for me, too. People keep making a big deal out of the wireless. It's great for road warriors and people who commute on transit (which is why it's a mobile phone technology rather than WiFi ). I'm neither. I could be quite happy without the wireless. It's nice, especially with Wikipedia support, but not the big draw. I wanted search. That was the biggest thing that set this apart for me from the Cybook. I was very close to just settling for having dictionary search because I really wanted a reader but I was hoping they'd add content search later.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
IMO the Kindle hasn't done anything Bookeen, Sony, Hanlin, and iRex haven't already done short of the integrated wireless subscription service.
And yet it complements the device so well. Makes the Sony look like a car without air conditioning.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Both the search and wireless download are included in the Ereader application that can be installed (free, as you no doubt remember) on just about any smartphone or wireless pda.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
Both the search and wireless download are included in the Ereader application that can be installed (free, as you no doubt remember) on just about any smartphone or wireless pda.
Of course. But they don't have e-ink screens. I have a PDA with a larger screen than most. It kinda sucks for reading IMO. Plus the battery life is horrible. It wouldn't last me a decent plane ride without a recharge.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
And yet it complements the device so well. Makes the Sony look like a car without air conditioning.
I don't know if I'd go that far. Maybe like a car without one of those backup rearview video camera gizmos.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post
As much as I like the NYT they should be careful about these reviews when they have a vested financial interest in the success of this device over any other, as it is the only device they sell their newspaper on.
Why do you think they did the review?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #13
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
"As much as I like the NYT they should be careful about these reviews when they have a vested financial interest in the success of this device over any other, as it is the only device they sell their newspaper on.

I think that in this case that's a non-issue, since the NYT now offers its online edition free, so I am assuming the money is not going to them. Pogue, BTW, reviews whatever he thinks is important, and if I can fault him for something, it's that too often he reviews products without really testing them in real life, making his reviews sound like puff pieces (though not this one, I think).
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
I think that in this case that's a non-issue, since the NYT now offers its online edition free, so I am assuming the money is not going to them. Pogue, BTW, reviews whatever he thinks is important, and if I can fault him for something, it's that too often he reviews products without really testing them in real life, making his reviews sound like puff pieces (though not this one, I think).
No, the NYT charges for their electronic non-web editions. About the same monthly price for their Vista Reader, Electronic Fat Client, and Flash Client versions. So I am pretty sure they are getting a cut from the Amazon version. They have never allowed re-distribution without a cut ($$).
Old 11-27-2007, 03:59 PM   #15
rflashman
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Why do you think they did the review?
Exactly, I agree 100%. Don't get me wrong, I love my Kindle and I love the New York Times. But I don't see the Miami Herald, Washington Post, or Chicago Tribune writing 3+ glowing positive reviews on the Kindle.

The New York Times has 60+ staffed department for their Electronic editions who for years have produced Flash-based, fat-client based, and PDF versions of their paper. More recently they have been producing the Vista Reader edition. So it was *their* choice not to produce versions for any previous electronic reader. They could have offered a version for the Sony Reader or any other reader of their choice.

But they instead choose the Kindle as their first and ONLY supported eReader and now are writing positive review after positive review promoting it. Again, I love my Kindle and the Times. But it sure makes me feel bad about how low the NYT has fallen.