Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
I did not create it. But isn't that's what ebooks are created for, not to kill that much trees?

Only 2,500 pages in print, by the way: http://www.amazon.com/Merck-Manual-H.../dp/0911910301
How does 2500 pages become 9000 pages? 9000 screens at a specified font /line space/margin.

I have a (really old) 30 (equal sized) volume Encyclopedia Britanica .
They just broke it up at the next 2 letter grouping, when it reached the targeted page count.
Why not the same with e-bookS? Note: there would not be the need to make break at the second letter as ebooks do offer more size flexibility
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Ebook-viewer.exe crashes (latest version, factory settings) on a 9000-something page book. Though it works fine on my Kindle. (I have only 2 Gigs of RAM in my computer)

The script on this page appears to have a problem. Do you want to stop the script?
Though no scripts installed, nor do I know if I can install scripts for ebook-viewer.exe at all.
That message is not calibre crashing. The calibre viewer is essentially an epub viewer. Every book opened in this viewer is converted to a basic epub format before viewing. What format is the book you are trying to view? Most likely calibre was in the process of attempting to convert this book for viewing when you decided to stop the script.

I would view the book in a viewer designed to view that format (Preferences - Behavior - Use internal viewer for:) or convert it to epub prior to trying to view it in calibre's viewer again. At this point it would seem the conversion process is where it hiccuped and the viewer was never passed book to open.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #18
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
That message is not calibre crashing. The calibre viewer is essentially an epub viewer. Every book opened in this viewer is converted to a basic epub format before viewing. What format is the book you are trying to view? Most likely calibre was in the process of attempting to convert this book for viewing when you decided to stop the script.
Thanks for your insights. Actually it went like this:

I opened the book (in mobi format) in viewer.exe it started thinking (hourglass), then it loaded the front page (said the book is 9000 pages long). Then I tried to turn pages or scroll, hourglass again, then it said the above error message about the script.

Quote:
I would view the book in a viewer designed to view that format (Preferences - Behavior - Use internal viewer for:) or convert it to epub prior to trying to view it in calibre's viewer again. At this point it would seem the conversion process is where it hiccuped and the viewer was never passed book to open.
With the same analogy if I have an image viewer I have to set first with a switch if I want to view a BMP or a JPEG now if I don't want it to freeze.

Besides, I just got the tip I should try Sumatra PDF reader for ebooks. It just works.

Last edited by avid01; 11-25-2013 at 06:19 AM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #19
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some new concern of mine with Calibre's ebook-viewer.exe. I use the portable version.

If I want to use ebook-viewer.exe naked, not from the manager it forgets the settings (for the viewer) - not stores them in the portable directory at least.

Feature request: It would be really nice if you could make ebook-viewer.exe to also work more independent from the manager, like having the .exe stored in the main directory of Caliblre next to the manager .exe. To work like a simple .pdf viewer as well.

Thanks for your great effort Kovid so far, wishing you a happy New Year! Though I have no idea when do you celebrate it but I heard Indian traditions include all Western traditions as well.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #20
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Some new concern of mine with Calibre's ebook-viewer.exe. I use the portable version.

If I want to use ebook-viewer.exe naked, not from the manager it forgets the settings (for the viewer) - not stores them in the portable directory at least.
Sorry for bumping. Is there a way to the reader to not forget the settings - even after a reboot and in portable mode? I know, tricky.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ment-variables
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #22
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks Kovid, I am not that much of a techie and frankly can't connect my issue with your suggested solution.

I understand you are busy developing software, maybe some other Calible user with more time on her had could decipher Kovid's link to me?

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #23
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Feature request: It would be really nice if you could make ebook-viewer.exe to also work more independent from the manager, like having the .exe stored in the main directory of Caliblre next to the manager .exe. To work like a simple .pdf viewer as well.

Thanks for your great effort Kovid so far, wishing you a happy New Year! Though I have no idea when do you celebrate it but I heard Indian traditions include all Western traditions as well.

is he indian?..i am shocked..his name suggested he was dutch as kovid i'm sure is a dutch name.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
is he indian?..i am shocked..his name suggested he was dutch as kovid i'm sure is a dutch name.
Hmmm... I had a cat named Pierre who could not speak French.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #25
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Kovid is not a Dutch name I wonder where you got that idea
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:28 AM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I believe Kovid is a Hindu name - meaning wise, scholar - something like that.

Helen - the only cats known to speak French are named Henri =>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7ibPk37_U (cracks me up)

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-05-2014 at 03:34 AM. Reason: note to Helen re Henri
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #27
avid01
Addict

Quote:
I did not create it. But isn't that's what ebooks are created for, not to kill that much trees?

Only 2,500 pages in print, by the way: http://www.amazon.com/Merck-Manual-H.../dp/0911910301
It opens in a second in the Kindle desktop reader. I like free software but should I use just that for my desktop reading needs instead of Calibre?

By the way, the current version of the Oxford dictionary came with the Kindle is about 66 MB. I did not dare to open that in Calibre.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #28
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
By the way, the current version of the Oxford dictionary came with the Kindle is about 66 MB. I did not dare to open that in Calibre.
You've been informed that calibre's viewer has to convert the file to a basic epub before it can view it. Also dictionaries are very cpu and memory intensive and often will not covert in calibre. This is a known limitation of calibre.

Quote:
It opens in a second in the Kindle desktop reader. I like free software but should I use just that for my desktop reading needs instead of Calibre?
Since it doesn't have to be converted it should open quickly. If it works for you then yes you should use this instead of calibre for viewing those files types.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #29
avid01
Addict

Quote:
You've been informed that calibre's viewer has to convert the file to a basic epub before it can view it.
I am sorry I don't remember that but if that is the case - I see.

So Calibre reader is basically an EPUB reader? It can -theoretically - much easier open a huge EPUB than a huge MOBI?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #30
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes. Ebook Viewer is an EPUB reader, which has the advantage of hooking into calibre's conversion engine to translate other formats into a format it understands.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote